Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Sad final fights from fighters.
04-06-2018, 11:46 AM
RE: Sad final fights from fighters.
RJJ's demise was pretty sad, though deserved, on account of he cherry picked oppponents ala the opening sequence of Rocky III.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2018, 11:52 AM
Rocky didn't cherry pick shit! You take that back. Virgil Abrams-Winner by KO in Round 1 of 15 (Retained Heavyweight Title; 47-21)

Razor Robinson-Winner by TKO in Round 2 of 15 (Retained Heavyweight Title; 48-21)

Ernie Roman-Winner by KO in Round 3 of 15 (Retained Heavyweight Title; 49-21)

Mac Lee Green-Winner by TKO in Round 6 of 15 (Retained Heavyweight Title; 50-21)

Vito Soto-Winner by KO in Round 6 of 15 (Retained Heavyweight Title; 51-21)

Big Yank Ball-Winner by KO in Round 5 of 15 (Retained Heavyweight Title; 52-21)

Joe Czak-Winner by KO in Round 2 of 15 (Retained Heavyweight Title; 53-21)

Joe Chan-Winner by TKO in Round 2 of 15 (Retained Heavyweight Title; 54-21)

Billy Snow-Winner by TKO in Round 10 of 15 (Retained Heavyweight Title; 55-21)

Big Chuck Smith-Winner by KO in Round 8 of 15 (Retained Heavyweight Title; 56-21)

"Thunderlips"-Draw of 1 Round (Exhibition fight; 56-21-1)

James "Clubber" Lang-Loss by KO in Round 2 of 15 (Lost Heavyweight Title; 56-22-1)

James "Clubber" Lang-Winner by KO in Round 3 of 15 (Won Heavyweight Title; 57-22-1)

All killers.

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
04-06-2018, 12:10 PM
What about Spider Rico
04-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Meth I'm just talking title defenses, you want Rocks full record?

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
04-06-2018, 12:51 PM
They was hand picked
04-06-2018, 01:19 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2018 12:59 PM by ViperSniper.)
(04-04-2018 01:21 PM)Method Wrote:  BHOP's ending wasn't sad, at least not IMO. It was exactly as it SHOULD have been. Bernard always said, "Fighters don't retire from the ring...the ring retires fighter", and he was right. It would have been fitting if he retired after the Kovalev fight. Taking THAT punishment like a man, and doing so on his feet, but he didnt, and his arrogant ass got KTFO.

Hopkins enjoyed the equivalent of three careers, and he dominated most of that. He wasn't going to go away until he got KTFO, and he did. I always said (whenever this topic came up) that I wanted to see Hopkins get KTFO to end his career. I knew it would be the only way he would stop.

I don't necessarily disagree with what you (or the rest) are getting at..especially in regards to if Hopkins retired after taking the beating the way he did against Kovalev!

Maybe it was going to take Hopkins getting KTFO to retire..but don't you find that very thought sad in anyway that it had to get to that?

I don't find it sad because he lost his final fight or because he looked like a complete shell or not. I find it more sad because I feel Hopkins being the fighter he was, being as accomplished as he was, being an all time great as he always will be, didn't deserve to go out like that! Not a legend!

He had planned his final fight at 51 years old..fought all the way up until that point never being stopped in his entire career and he ends up getting knocked out, out of the ring in his farewell fight!

I guess I'm just looking at it differently! I found his final fight to be ironic, unlucky, unfair and definitely sad!

(04-04-2018 05:33 PM)Fitz Wrote:  Don't agree with Hopkins, I agree with Method and have the same view. Don't agree with Lewis either. Lewis one wasn't sad one bit, he came out with a lucky win in his last fight. If the most frustrating part is him going out and not giving a rematch, so be it. Frustrating maybe, sad? Not sad one bit at all.

I don't think RJJ final fight is necessarily sad, but I think as a collective the last 8-9 years of his career as a collective was quite sad to see.

Well fuck you!!!!!!!!!

Kidding lol

Lewis maybe not soo much but feel it was still kinda sad that a HOF'er and dominate champions final fight was him not looking great, being down on all card, gets what many consider a lucky win and gets booed by the crowd..

Well talking Roy Jones Jr. He has officially retired by finally hanging the gloves up!
Roy Jones Jr had his farewell fight Feburary 8th with a W!

(04-05-2018 09:25 AM)and the NEW Wrote:  BHOP's end was so fitting. I don't think I've seen a more fitting end. A wolf going out on his shield, literally, skull on concrete!

Oscar's end was the worst I remember. Being sliced and diced and just standing there like a zombie. I walked out well before it ended, it was death by a thousand cuts.

Great call on De La Hoya! That was sad to watch him go out like that!
04-07-2018, 09:41 AM
Bro - He was what? 52? Like I said, he had like 3 HOF careers. Nothing sad about a 52 year old (I honestly forget how old he was at the time, so apologies) getting KTFO. Father time is undefeated. Bernard knew that. Its like Obi Won droppin his lghtsaber down in the dual w Darth
04-07-2018, 10:07 AM
Well I guess we just look at it differently. When I say Hopkins final fight was sad, I don't mean it in a pathetic sort of way or like it's discrediting Hopkins or his legacy/career in anyway. Sad in an emotionally way to see a 52 year old legend laying outside the ring knocked out on the floor, being counted out by the ref. I was definitely sad to see his final fight unfold like that.
04-07-2018, 12:05 PM
I think the crux of it is that it could ONLY end that way.

The fortunate part is that he wasn’t truly hurt. He wasn’t a shell of his former self being used for money at that point. He was just old.

Someone like Ali was being exploited and was already eroding far more than physically.
04-07-2018, 12:20 PM
I think the middle ground is that no one feels that Hopkins being knocked out detracts from his career. He was a viking looking for Valhalla. He was never going to stop until he died in battle.

The sadness comes from a fan perspective, that many wanted the classic "ride off into the sunset" finale from him. And if they didn't understand the character of the man, they might have even felt sorry for him, imagining that he must be devastated to have it ended that way.

As Method pointed out though, this was the only ending Hopkins was ever going to have. He was never going to stop until he found a man that could send him out on his shield. It's that Samurai/Viking mentality.

It wasn't like Roy, who refused to see the reality of things. Or like Joe Louis coming back because he needed the money. Hopkins lived for the ring, and needed to be retired in the ring, not out of it. Valhalla awaits.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fights that stunted/ruined fighters career in recent memory. ViperSniper 36 20,461 05-21-2016 01:02 PM
Last Post: BGv4.0
  Best fights between 2 undefeated fighters. ViperSniper 11 8,568 05-08-2015 06:47 AM
Last Post: and the NEW
  Cross road fights (for fighters insisting to fight on) Fitz 3 2,666 11-26-2011 08:02 PM
Last Post: STEVENSKI

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)