Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

If you could have one fighter fight for your life?
01-10-2017, 03:01 AM
RE: If you could have one fighter fight for your life?
(01-10-2017 02:49 AM)and the NEW Wrote:  Man, RJJ at 175, he struggled with southpaws. Do you see him beating Moorer Viper? Moorer was highly accurate, was a great boxer, and had crazy power at LHW. I just can't see Roy surviving against him, and Moorer was fairly durable for a small guy, he went rounds with both Foreman and Holyfield!

Mosley never fought below 135 Viper.

It's been a while since I've seen Moorer but I would have favoured Jones in that match up but couldn't say that with pure certainty either.

And of course! My bad. Mosley at 135. And I know he was never a 140 fighter but he did actually have a fight or two within the 140 limit. I wanted to say Tszyu, but then was gonna go with Pryor, however Mosley was that good between 135-147!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2017, 04:19 AM
Man, the younger, high output Mosley would have been an awesome fight with Prior, either at 135 or 140!
01-10-2017, 06:50 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2017 12:00 PM by ViperSniper.)
Yeah Pryor-Mosley would have been scary to watch but with Mosley having the edge in reach and speed, I feel it would have been enough to get Mosley past the finish line! Back to 175 ATN! Who would have you picked to fight for your life at Light Heavyweight??
01-10-2017, 08:00 AM
Black, was he really untouchable? Floyd really lacks career defining wins that'll have any historical relevance. All of the atg wws had someone to overcome in their career. Fighting once a year against a questionable opponent isn't in the same league as what other fighters have done.

Even with his major wins like Judah, Mosley and Pac you've got one with a career of choking and two fighters that were obviously out of their prime and winning against undermatched opponents.
01-10-2017, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2017 01:23 PM by blackbelt2003.)
I agree, Dec.

He hardly looked untouchable vs De La Hoya. If that had been Leonard in there with Oscar, the Golden Boy would have been destroyed. Floyd could only manage a pedestrian close decision.

And that's the thing...a lot of guys have their legacies based on their shiny, glossy records and statistics. Floyd, Calzaghe, Klitschko...but push comes to shove how much is that actually worth? How many other fighters would have those exact same numbers if they'd been born in the same era?

I'm pretty sure Leonard and Robinson would have done exactly what Floyd did but even more impressively. Maybe even next-level welter greats like Napoles or Griffith would have replicated his welterweight wins with ease.

So would I bet my life on Floyd against someone from another era based on his shiny stats alone?

Naaah.

Black
01-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Still picking Floyd. He'd find a way to delay the fight against any threat until he knew that he could beat them. I might be able to grab some of those stacks of cash he's always toting around too. "Naw Floyd, haven't seen that mil you put on the kitchen table."

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2017, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2017 07:35 PM by and the NEW.)
(01-10-2017 06:50 AM)ViperSniper Wrote:  Back to 175 ATN! Who would have you picked to fight for your life at Light Heavyweight??

Good Q. I have always leaned towards Gene Tunney at 175. I think he is one of the most underrated fighters in history. He is never listed at the top echelon when people bring up all time greats off the top of their heads. The public at the time preferred the all-action fighters over the technicians and thinkers of the game, guys like Walker and Greb.

But Tunney showed his versatility by going to the inside to go 3-1-1 with Greb, beat Carpentier, and then showed his boxing prowess that he was renown for by taking out Dempsey.

His jab was world class and his timing was impeccable. He didn't have a lot of special effects (mainly the one-two), but he was a pure technician and knew when to go inside (and rake the body when needed) or stick and move.
01-11-2017, 12:22 AM
You'd have to go with one of those old school cats who fought till someone died... i reccon a Jacc Johnson type.
01-11-2017, 12:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2017 12:10 PM by blackbelt2003.)
But could they hang with someone from the modern era?

Tunney may have looked skillful outmanoeuvring a primitive guy like Dempsey...but would he have done the same with someone from the modern era, like Joe Louis or Mike Tyson who knew how to cut the ring down?

#catamongstthepigeons #neverquestionoldschoolfighters #boxingsbiggesttaboo

Black
01-11-2017, 11:28 PM
Man those guys were built for 45 rounders or until someone quit.

Not to mention the fear of being lynched if he won. I mean, in the case of Jacc, thousands of white people watching you do something to a white man that NO OTHER blacc man has done much less gotten away with...

Guys like that would eat Tyson alive. Going into a fight expecting to die will turn any man into a monster.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)