Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

If you could have one fighter fight for your life?
01-13-2017, 08:00 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2017 08:01 AM by and the NEW.)
RE: If you could have one fighter fight for your life?
Well the point of the thread was achieved. I was hoping it would make people question historical matchups in all divisions, as Viper did. And then get in some historical debate, which it did. Not many boards you can get such knowledge flying without people getting aggressive and defensive about their stance! Black, you are truly a gentleman!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2017, 08:08 AM
(01-13-2017 07:52 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  Joe Louis' 'off-centre' technique (as I always understood it) refers to the fact that he was able to put his weight forwards onto the front foot when throwing power shots and pulling on to the back foot slightly when jabbing or getting ready to counter....that's what I mean about having his weight more evenly spread as opposed to just all on the back foot like many fighters from the 1900's-1910's did.

But I agree with you on a lot of the other points, mate. Boxing seems to be in another transition period because of the divide of the amateur/pro codes being unified once again. All those massively successful amateur styles are beginning to be amalgamated with the pro styles to create this lovely Cuban/Russian style. I'm enjoying seeing all this new blood in boxing.

Black

What was scary about Louis was the power he could generate from that little hop forward on to the front foot from what you say was such an evenly spread stance. The number of one punch KO's he gets from what seems like such an innocuous little movement. I've seen many scribes have him as the best puncher in HW history ahead of the likes of Foreman.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
01-13-2017, 08:12 AM
(01-13-2017 08:00 AM)and the NEW Wrote:  Well the point of the thread was achieved. I was hoping it would make people question historical matchups in all divisions, as Viper did. And then get in some historical debate, which it did. Not many boards you can get such knowledge flying without people getting aggressive and defensive about their stance! Black, you are truly a gentleman!

God bless you, brother!

We didn't have to once create a fake online gay dating profile to get our point across! Big Grin

BU is truly the best forum on the web!

Black
01-13-2017, 08:28 AM
(01-13-2017 08:08 AM)the ollie reed fan club Wrote:  What was scary about Louis was the power he could generate from that little hop forward on to the front foot from what you say was such an evenly spread stance. The number of one punch KO's he gets from what seems like such an innocuous little movement. I've seen many scribes have him as the best puncher in HW history ahead of the likes of Foreman.

Forget heavyweight, I've seen him as the top puncher P4P!

Ring Magazine back in 03: http://boxing.about.com/od/history/a/ring_punchers.htm
01-13-2017, 12:31 PM
(01-13-2017 08:12 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  God bless you, brother!

We didn't have to once create a fake online gay dating profile to get our point across! Big Grin

BU is truly the best forum on the web!

Black

Who created a fake gay profile? I thought BigG's profile was real. Was it a joke?

(01-13-2017 05:58 AM)and the NEW Wrote:  As for Joe Louis. Only people that would tell you he keeps his hands too low are idiots. Watch Rigondeaux, his lead hand is also low.

Whether or not he kept them "too low" is a pure judgement call, but he certainly kept his left hand low, as I pointed out in another thread.

Watch Schmeling when he beat Louis. What punch did he land the most cleanly, the most often? For a microcosm of the whole fight, go the the last round. What punch did Schmeling land at about 20:50 in the video? Again at about 21:30. And 21:50, which was the beginning of the end? 22:15. 22:25. And finally 22:29.

As I said in the previous thread on Louis/Marciano, Louis kept his left hand low and was susceptible to the overhand right, and especially the phantom overhead by Marciano.

You can argue if it was "too low" or not, but it certainly was in those fights.
01-13-2017, 02:05 PM
I don't like using stylistic match ups as a way of proving that an old timer would have failed against anyone today. It's a fallacy argument that we have constantly railed against when predicting current fights. Take any stylistic mismatch of the current era and you'll see what I mean.

Barrera/Hamed
Leonard/Duran 2
Hopkins/Tito
Foreman/Frazier
Pac/DLH

You can put any of those fights in a 1920's setting, and use it as evidence that the loser couldn't compete in the "modern era". We obviously know that isn't true since all of the losers that I mentioned were dominant against modern competition. Styles make fights. They do now, and they did back then.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2017, 06:21 PM
You guys are really overrating this modern style shit and underrating how much rules influenced styles. The style of fighters you see in the 30s-50s was a product of fighters from the early 1900s retiring from the sport and turning to training. I promise you if you list some of the ATG trainers they'll have taught the same old time technique you guys are questioning. What really changed is fights were limited to 15 rounds rather than lasting until someone quit or got stopped, gloves and hand wrapping improved to offer more protection and more fights were recorded so more footage is available.
01-14-2017, 06:11 AM
(01-13-2017 12:31 PM)Warlord Wrote:  Who created a fake gay profile? I thought BigG's profile was real. Was it a joke?

Whether or not he kept them "too low" is a pure judgement call, but he certainly kept his left hand low, as I pointed out in another thread.

Watch Schmeling when he beat Louis. What punch did he land the most cleanly, the most often? For a microcosm of the whole fight, go the the last round. What punch did Schmeling land at about 20:50 in the video? Again at about 21:30. And 21:50, which was the beginning of the end? 22:15. 22:25. And finally 22:29.

As I said in the previous thread on Louis/Marciano, Louis kept his left hand low and was susceptible to the overhand right, and especially the phantom overhead by Marciano.

You can argue if it was "too low" or not, but it certainly was in those fights.

Hahaha, that Big G thread that chased him off the boards is some epic shit. One of the best online forum moments in absolute history. From that moment onward, I decided never to disagree with you in any way!

Black
01-14-2017, 07:27 AM
Man does anyone know which thread it was where BigG was talking about bully that gay guy? Or was that one of his threads he deleted? I remember BigG talking about the guys voice going high like a bitch through fear!! That was a classic thread! lol
01-16-2017, 05:36 PM
Deleting threads is a bitch move.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)