Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Mosley or Toney - who had the best career?
01-12-2017, 01:50 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2017 01:55 AM by and the NEW.)
RE: Mosley or Toney - who had the best career?
(01-11-2017 08:20 AM)ViperSniper Wrote:  Was Mosley ever considered p4p #1? Maybe some just before Forrest possibly? Toney was when he had fought Jones..

Probably the best resume of this generation ahead of De La Hoya.

From memory, Mosley and Toney were both P4P#1 intra-year, but I don't believe either closed out the year at the top. I will have to check my old Ring Magazines. Only reason I remembered Toney was #1 was after Ollie said it, I remembered Goosen's voice commentating this fight and pointing it out! Fukc that is going back some time, I was only just getting into boxing at that time, but man it was exciting as a teenager with guys like Roy, Oscar etc all emerging! I can only hope the boxing landscape is as exciting as my little guy grows up!

Big call on the resume. I think Oscar outdoes him. Mosley fought 21 world champions, Oscar fought 26. The best names that Mosley fought that Oscar didn't were Wink, Forrest, Cotto, Canelo, Margarito. Vice-versa, Oscar fought, Chavez, Whitaker, Quartey, Trinidad, BHOP. Give me Oscar's resume.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2017, 03:07 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2017 04:43 AM by ViperSniper.)
Fair call ATN! I feel Mosley also took tougher fights & most of the fighters you listed, Mosley was either the smaller or aging fighter against those guys. This is NO knock on De La Hoya as he took tough fights!
01-12-2017, 03:20 AM
Sweet Pea was considered #1 P4P back then. Toney was in the top 3, but I can't remember anyone having him above Whitaker. Speaking of which, we don't give Sweet Pea enough love. He was a special fighter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iHLwFkLXgE

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2017, 04:35 AM
The HBO team definitely had Toney as #1 at the time he fought Roy.
01-12-2017, 06:56 AM
(01-12-2017 04:35 AM)and the NEW Wrote:  The HBO team definitely had Toney as #1 at the time he fought Roy.

He was, it was brief (like Mosley's run) but he was.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
01-12-2017, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2017 04:19 PM by Fitz.)

01-12-2017, 09:39 PM
IMO, Toney was the better fighter. Shane had a better career. Oscar has the killer resume.

No way was Mosley P4P#1 in 2000 and 2001. NFW.
01-12-2017, 09:54 PM
The Rings ratings have always been shitty...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2017, 05:52 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2017 06:11 AM by and the NEW.)
Ring's ratings are only done at the end of each year. I knew Toney wasn't there at the end of the year, but I think after beating Charles Williams (from memory, he had the flu at the timet? And Williams was a solid former world champ, with several successful defences) he got bumped to #1, but he soon fell after losing to Roy.

I was surprised Mosley ended the year at #1, but looking at the dates of his fights (Forrest wasn't until 2002) that does make sense after dominating at LW and then jumping to WW and being the first man to legitimately beat Oscar (we all know Tito didn't).
01-13-2017, 06:47 AM
I remember having Shane at p4p 1 as well during his welterweight reign. He obviously lost that accolade after looking like dogshit vs Forrest and never really got his mojo back.

Do you remember when Ring Magazine used to have a little synopsis of every TV fight each month? Well, the rematch with Forrest one made me laugh. It went along the lines of simply saying, "Sorry, Shane, but all that standing still and wiggling your gloves around doesn't win your big rematch for you."

LOL

Black

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Toney's heavyweight career vs Haye's heavyweight car Fitz 48 28,399 04-08-2012 06:05 AM
Last Post: ROLLDEEP

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)