Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Canelo vs. Chavez Jr. Set for May 6th
01-14-2017, 11:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-14-2017 11:27 PM by Snoop.)
RE: Canelo vs. Chavez Jr. Set for May 6th
(01-14-2017 06:53 PM)Spyder Wrote:  Maybe I'm doing a poor job of communicating my stance.

- The weight limit is for JCC, NOT Canelo. It doesn't matter if it is above 160, because Canelo will likely come in a few pounds under anyway.
- Canelo has stated that he isn't ready to take on GGG at 160.
- Canelo's camp said that they want to use this fight to prepare for GGG.

Again, I don't see what the problem is. I think that your prejudice against catch weights is driving your discontent.

No dude. I think your fixation on me having a problem with catchweights is the issue here. I'm going to say once more, very clearly, that I don't care if it's at a catchweight. All I care about is that's it's 160 and above.

Canelo stated he wasn't ready to take on GGG BECAUSE of the weight. Here are some examples:

Quote:"I’m not a middleweight. I’m a super welterweight. That’s my weight class. I wanted to fight this time for some sort of title at super welter." - Canelo before the Amir Khan fight.

"There’s a big misconception, people keep calling Canelo a middleweight. Look at his record. The highest he ever fought was at 155. He can still make 154 comfortably and he said it all along: Whenever his body feels that he has to make the change and jump, that’s when he’ll do it. He’s not a middleweight. The only reason he became middleweight champion is because he wanted to fight Miguel Cotto." - Eric Gomez, President of Golden Boy before Amir Khan fight.

NOW, he's taking a fight ABOVE middleweight, so it's pretty clear that it wasn't the weight that held him back from fighting GGG. If they would have flat-out came out and said, "Oh, GGG skill level is too good and we need to get better." Okay. Maybe. I mean they're kind of saying that now by calling JCC Jr. a prep fight. But if that was the case, then 1) they shouldn't have went around saying shit like the stuff I just quoted, and 2) they shouldn't have had the gall to say he was the legit middleweight champion. That's where the real problem lies.

So yeah man, it's not really about the catchweight. It would be the same situation if the fight was taking place at 160 or 168. You're the one who seems to be getting caught up on the catchweight.

On a side technical note, why is it when I post a reply sometimes, I get this weird, "Forbidden" message?

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2017, 11:39 PM
Yeah so anyway....

Canelo... Lololololol
Find all posts by this user
01-15-2017, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2017 02:36 AM by Snoop.)
I get your stance, Spyder. You're basically giving Canelo a pass for all the past comments as long as he fights GGG in Sept. I guess I'm sorta cool with that too, but I think it was BS he was strutting around calling himself the middleweight champion while not fighting GGG. That's where we differ.

You get that it's not about him fighting JCC Jr. at a catchweight though, right? It's about him fighting JCC Jr. AT ALL that's kind of the problem for me.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

01-15-2017, 03:30 AM
I wasn't mad at Clemson for playing Ohio State before they played Alabama.

The fight is going to happen, but let's look at this practically. Say Canelo fights GGG next and gets stomped. What happens next? Does he move back down to 154? Does he try to get a rematch? Is he still the same fighter afterward?

You see what I'm saying? There are a lot of variables that can happen, but none of them include watching an out of shape JCC jr getting beaten up on Cinco de Mayo...with the anticipation of the GGG fight looming over the whole thing. These types of fights happen all of the time, and it's important that they do. Boxing needs fights like these to hook you for the next one. This is a clear setup fight for the one that we want to see.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
01-15-2017, 03:48 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2017 03:52 AM by Snoop.)
(01-15-2017 03:30 AM)Spyder Wrote:  I wasn't mad at Clemson for playing Ohio State before they played Alabama.

The fight is going to happen, but let's look at this practically. Say Canelo fights GGG next and gets stomped. What happens next? Does he move back down to 154? Does he try to get a rematch? Is he still the same fighter afterward?

You see what I'm saying? There are a lot of variables that can happen, but none of them include watching an out of shape JCC jr getting beaten up on Cinco de Mayo...with the anticipation of the GGG fight looming over the whole thing. These types of fights happen all of the time, and it's important that they do. Boxing needs fights like these to hook you for the next one. This is a clear setup fight for the one that we want to see.

Yeah this is a totally valid argument for you to make and now I can see where our opinions differ. My point is that neither of us are talking about catchweights here cuz that was not the issue at hand. But now that that's clear (hopefully), what I would say in response is that I guess we'll just have to see. I mean how would you feel if Canelo beats JCC Jr. and still doesn't fight GGG? At the very least you have to admit that after this, Canelo can no longer say that his body is not "mature" enough for 160, right?

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

01-15-2017, 06:43 AM
I'd be more hyped to go to Africa and watch kids with aids swim in shit water than watch this fight.
01-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Soft move avoiding GGG at 160 because you weren't ready to fight above 155...then your first fight above 155 is at 164.5 against a guy who has effectively sucked for a while.

With that said, I am sure Canelo will treat this like a fight at 160 for himself; but man, I have this funny feeling Chavez size is going to present an issue - Canelo has never been the smaller guy in there. I can see a Homer Simpson strategy where JCC starts to come on later in the fight on the merits of some Mexican Pride motivation - or he will smoke weed through camp, eat Apple Jacks and not give a fuck.
01-15-2017, 09:44 AM
In other news, Badou Jack is preparing for his imminent move to 175 by taking on David Haye at a 210lb catchweight. He would go straight into an Andre Ward fight, but he's not quite big enough yet to take on a solid 175lb'er, so he's using Haye as a warm up fight to test his size out.

Black
01-15-2017, 12:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2017 12:19 PM by Snoop.)
(01-15-2017 09:02 AM)JD Wrote:  Soft move avoiding GGG at 160 because you weren't ready to fight above 155...then your first fight above 155 is at 164.5 against a guy who has effectively sucked for a while.

With that said, I am sure Canelo will treat this like a fight at 160 for himself; but man, I have this funny feeling Chavez size is going to present an issue - Canelo has never been the smaller guy in there. I can see a Homer Simpson strategy where JCC starts to come on later in the fight on the merits of some Mexican Pride motivation - or he will smoke weed through camp, eat Apple Jacks and not give a fuck.

I'm betting on the second part of that happening.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

01-15-2017, 12:27 PM

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Canelo/Ortiz vs Chavez Jr/Martinez JONdaCON 45 26,952 06-21-2012 03:42 PM
Last Post: Dickagon
  Chavez Jr. vs Canelo BigG 5 3,726 11-03-2011 01:01 PM
Last Post: Mean Mister Mustard

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)