Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Golovkin vs Jacobs
03-02-2017, 06:39 PM
RE: Golovkin vs Jacobs
(03-02-2017 02:03 PM)Spyder Wrote:  Hopkins had the same problem. His resume was almost absent of any names until the welterweights started eating better. Jermain Taylor was the only other A-list middleweight that he faced...outside of Roy, of course.

Very true. Hopkins became great the night he beat up Felix Trinidad. The De La Hoya win was the icing on the cake.

GGG needs his Trinidad and De La Hoya - and one of them is right there in the form of Canelo Alvarez. If Canelo shits it like he has been doing the last couple years then there's not a lot GGG can do but keep winning and base his resume on longevity rather than performances.

Having said that, I'm excited about Charlo moving up to 160. Let's hope he can make a bigger name for himself than at 154 and give GGG a real challenge.

Black
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2017, 07:33 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article...offer.html

Could've fought Ward, should've fought Ward.
03-02-2017, 09:31 PM
About Pirog: "On 25 August 2012, Pirog was stripped of his title by the WBO after choosing to fight WBA and IBO middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin instead of WBO interim champion Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam. During training for the Golovkin fight, Pirog suffered a serious back injury—a ruptured disc—which forced cancellation of the fight. Several comeback attempts by Pirog have since been thwarted by ongoing back problems, effectively forcing his premature retirement." -Wikipedia

GGG-Pirog would've been a pretty damn good match.

As for GGG-Jacobs, I predict GGG takes him out in the 7th.
03-02-2017, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 09:53 PM by Snoop.)
(03-02-2017 07:33 PM)Dickagon Wrote:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article...offer.html

Could've fought Ward, should've fought Ward.

Ehhh. That article is from 2015. I totally understand why GGG wouldn't want to fight Ward given all the potentials of a Canelo fight at the time.

It's no excuse, but it might be worth mentioning that Jacobs's grandmother died a week before the Pirog fight. Her funeral was actually planned the Sunday after the fight.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2017, 10:21 PM
There have been talks of the fight for awhile now. I'd say until Ward beat Kov and officially moved to 175. Why not fight Ward and take his stock up prior to entering negotiations with Canelo? It'd give him more leverage. After Sanchez claimed GGG would beat anyone 160-175 and Ward tried to get the fight Golovkin did nothing but refuse it and his team acted like he's some ppv star when he does 150k buys. Where's he now? He's fighting the same level of opposition he's been fighting and Ward beat the top dude at 175. When you compare their resumes you see why Golovkin was scared and turned into a businessman instead of wanting to give a big Mexican show vs Ward.
03-02-2017, 10:58 PM
(03-02-2017 10:21 PM)Dickagon Wrote:  There have been talks of the fight for awhile now. I'd say until Ward beat Kov and officially moved to 175. Why not fight Ward and take his stock up prior to entering negotiations with Canelo? It'd give him more leverage. After Sanchez claimed GGG would beat anyone 160-175 and Ward tried to get the fight Golovkin did nothing but refuse it and his team acted like he's some ppv star when he does 150k buys. Where's he now? He's fighting the same level of opposition he's been fighting and Ward beat the top dude at 175. When you compare their resumes you see why Golovkin was scared and turned into a businessman instead of wanting to give a big Mexican show vs Ward.

I kind of don't expect GGG to take on Ward, meaning I don't find it part of his obligation as MW champ. Sure, it would be a nice addition to the resume, but I'm perfectly fine with him just cleaning out the division, which he has more or less done. And I actually don't think GGG beating Ward would have really changed much in the negotiations with Canelo. The roadblock to that fight wasn't because of purse-splits or because GGG lacked a name and needed to boost it up with a big fight like one against Ward; it was because Canelo kept opting to fight other people and keeping the fight at a catchweight.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

03-02-2017, 11:07 PM
I agree about Canelo not wanting the fight, that doesn't mean beating Ward wouldn't have done anything for him going into it. He's easily the best smw with a tko over Dawson as well. It's impossible for it to have not raised his stock vs Canelo or for his career in general.

Why did he let his trainer hype him up then act like he's too much of a star for Ward? He looks impressive beating up on this weak mw division but there aren't any big names to come up and fight him, that means to further his career he'll need to move up. When he'd a chance to step up in opposition he hid behind every excuse he could come up with.
03-03-2017, 01:56 AM
(03-02-2017 11:07 PM)Dickagon Wrote:  I agree about Canelo not wanting the fight, that doesn't mean beating Ward wouldn't have done anything for him going into it. He's easily the best smw with a tko over Dawson as well. It's impossible for it to have not raised his stock vs Canelo or for his career in general.

Why did he let his trainer hype him up then act like he's too much of a star for Ward? He looks impressive beating up on this weak mw division but there aren't any big names to come up and fight him, that means to further his career he'll need to move up. When he'd a chance to step up in opposition he hid behind every excuse he could come up with.

GGG is a small middleweight. He's at 165 more than two weeks out from the fight. And I don't think moving up a division is the only way to further his career. It's definitely the faster way, but dominating one division is also respectable over time.

I don't remember all that clearly those comments from his camp. If Abel Sanchez made those comments and GGG backed them, then turned down a Ward fight, yeah. That was a dumbass move. He should have just stayed quiet and kept cleaning out the division. I guess I don't know how much different GGG's situation would be right now had he fought Ward. I mean who else besides Canelo do you think he should be fighting?

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

03-03-2017, 05:31 AM
(03-03-2017 01:56 AM)Snoop Wrote:  GGG is a small middleweight. He's at 165 more than two weeks out from the fight. And I don't think moving up a division is the only way to further his career. It's definitely the faster way, but dominating one division is also respectable over time.

I don't remember all that clearly those comments from his camp. If Abel Sanchez made those comments and GGG backed them, then turned down a Ward fight, yeah. That was a dumbass move. He should have just stayed quiet and kept cleaning out the division. I guess I don't know how much different GGG's situation would be right now had he fought Ward. I mean who else besides Canelo do you think he should be fighting?

Abel definitely ran his mouth out, but I don't ever remember Triple G backing him up on it. I wish trainers/managers etc kept their gobs shut and let the fighters do the talking for their own careers. I too think Golovkin is a smallish MW. I prefer to see him take the Hopkins route and dominate his division.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
03-03-2017, 06:25 AM
A fighter should never HAVE to step out of his division to cement a legacy. If they want to, then that's great and all, but they should never be criticised for not doing it.

It's sad that GGG doesn't have a great 160 'lber to dance with at the moment...but one will come along. He shouldn't have to chase a 168/175'er.

Black

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)