Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Golovkin vs Jacobs
03-19-2017, 08:39 AM
RE: Golovkin vs Jacobs
Danny got robbed! I thought Gonzalez did enough to win.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-19-2017, 09:48 AM
I missed it but heard many say both men lost.
03-19-2017, 10:24 AM
DJ was beating him to the punch all night.... GGG looked confused by the movement at times...

I LOVED how everytime DJ weaved then landed a hard combination he would stand there with his arms down yelling in GGG face...lol.

He was def feeling himself... especially fighting an entire round with his hands down.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-19-2017, 11:11 AM
I thought GGG edged it, but I think we all underestimated Jacobs. He's ranked #2 in the world at middleweight for a reason. I also didn't realize how significant the size advantage was until I saw them in the ring. Jacobs was younger, taller, heavier...and GGG still beat him. I think GGG's jab made the difference.
03-19-2017, 05:28 PM
DJ had one of the best corners i've ever seen in the sport. His trainer was so on-point in giving the exact right advice and 'how' to give that advice. IMO if they rematch DJ is the one that can be better. I think GGG is all max'd out.
03-19-2017, 07:44 PM
(03-19-2017 05:28 PM)boxingcritic Wrote:  DJ had one of the best corners i've ever seen in the sport. His trainer was so on-point in giving the exact right advice and 'how' to give that advice. IMO if they rematch DJ is the one that can be better. I think GGG is all max'd out.

I agree and I commented on it during the fight. the advice was clear, concise and not so much that it overloaded him. This was one of those fights where you could really see the corner having a real impact on the fight.

Jacobs really sued his advantages well in this fight. he used his height and reach to control the distance. he throw a sneaky little jab to the body to constantly keep GGG off balance causing him to reset. When GGG got in range Danny used his speed to flurry well and then got out of the kill zone turning GGG in the process. I wasn't in love with him switching to southpaw but it seemed to become more effective in the 2nd half of the fight and lastly he used his superior foot speed and athletic movement to deny GGG the ability to cut off the ring. Really a complete performance.

The other thing I wanted to touch on and I wish I had before the fight because now it just seems like being smart after the event, but watching that build-up and listening to Danny talk about beating cancer, he seemed to be spiritually in a really good way. I think you need that type of mindset to beat a supposed monster like Golovkin. It sorta reminded me a little of Buster Douglas before the Tyson fight, Holyfield as well before the first Tyson fight. To beat the monster you need to be able to banish fear totally from your heart and mind and I don't think any of GGG's previous opponents had been able to summon that type of mindset when facing him. You could really see Danny feeling himself during the fight.

That being said I think I had it 6 rounds apiece with GGG winning due to the knockdown. One thing that was available to GGG all night which he totally ignored was Jacobs' body. GGG threw very few body shots and it's Boxing 101 that if you have a mover you go to the body to slow them down. I think he was a little bit exposed last night, but by a guy who probably fought the fight of his life. I'm always hesitant to write a guy off or drop my opinion of him too much just for having one bad night at the office. he's still easily the best MW in the world. And there is a lot he can improve on from that performance. If he has another night like the one he had on Saturday then yeah, some reassessment might need to be applied.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
03-19-2017, 08:11 PM
(03-19-2017 05:37 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  Ridiculously so. His best three opponents are now: David Lemieux (fun but emminently beatable fringe champion), Kell Brook (a WELTERweight) and Daniel Jacobs (see JD's assessments of him).

Compare that with the likes of Kovalev, Ward, Rigondeaux et al. It's easy to look unbeatable when you're beating up on fringe guys and welterweights.

Black

Not saying here that Golovkin is the man or anything, but I don't rate Rigondeaux high at all these days. Do you guys? He's been fighting once a year and the guys he's been beating aren't any better than the guys Golovkin has been beating.
03-19-2017, 08:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-19-2017 09:24 PM by ViperSniper.)
(03-19-2017 08:11 PM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  Not saying here that Golovkin is the man or anything, but I don't rate Rigondeaux high at all these days. Do you guys? He's been fighting once a year and the guys he's been beating aren't any better than the guys Golovkin has been beating.

The difference between the two is Rigo has wins over Donaire and also Agbeko. GGG has never beat anyone of that caliber yet.
03-19-2017, 09:44 PM
Jacobs's fought his ass off. It was a very good fight.

I think GGG expected to land something big and that would be that. Blame it on a poor approach but give Jacobs credit too.

I had it 115-112 GGG. The 1st and 12th are your swing rounds to me.

If he goes to the body he puts himself at risk, but he also makes the fight easier.
03-20-2017, 07:49 AM
(03-19-2017 08:11 PM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  Not saying here that Golovkin is the man or anything, but I don't rate Rigondeaux high at all these days. Do you guys? He's been fighting once a year and the guys he's been beating aren't any better than the guys Golovkin has been beating.

Yeah, I agree. Rigo has done little in the last couple of years...although he is due to fight Moises Fuentes who IS a very good fighter. An impressive win in that one may put him back up a notch or two again.

Black

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)