Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

New Boxing Tournament with Schaeffer/Sauerland
03-10-2017, 05:24 AM
New Boxing Tournament with Schaeffer/Sauerland
From fightnews:

Promoters Richard Schaefer and Kalle Sauerland have announced the World Boxing Super Series, a bracket-style elimination boxing tournament with a total of $50 million in prize money. The winner will receive what they call the “greatest prize in boxing – the Muhammad Ali Trophy.” The tournament will be organised by newly-founded Comosa AG, a Swiss-registered company with principal owners from the world of marketing (Highlight Event & Entertainment), broadcasting (Modern Times Group) and boxing (Team Sauerland).

“The World Boxing Super Series will change the world of boxing,” said Roberto Dalmiglio, Comosa’s Head of Management Board. “The tournament will set new standards, ensure coherent storylines and provide top-class boxing throughout the year. It is Comosa’s ambition to turn the World Boxing Super Series into the world’s biggest and best boxing tournament.”

Any thoughts?

Black
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2017, 07:05 AM
RE: New Boxing Tournament with Schaeffer/Sauerland
2 thoughts.

1: Would be great if it works

2: It wont work
03-10-2017, 07:46 AM
(03-10-2017 07:05 AM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  2 thoughts.

1: Would be great if it works

2: It wont work

Very succinct although still a little wordy in places.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
03-10-2017, 01:52 PM
I didn't see anything about weight classes. Is this like a Kumite type of thing?

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2017, 04:05 PM
I've read elsewhere that they're going to do two weight classes per year. God knows what kind of fighters they hope to pull in. I certainly can't see any current champs or p4p type guys doing this, so it may turn out to be fringe contenders...which would still be fun, of course.

I'd just like to see some titles get unified a la Super Six.

Black
03-10-2017, 04:27 PM
They're trying to make their own ufc
03-10-2017, 07:56 PM
Someone SHOULD copy the UFC model. It works. Maybe this will turn into that, kinda like how the UFC went from tournaments to a league.

03-10-2017, 09:28 PM
(03-10-2017 07:56 PM)Spyder Wrote:  Someone SHOULD copy the UFC model. It works. Maybe this will turn into that, kinda like how the UFC went from tournaments to a league.

Works in what way? I think it has it's own flaws respective to its sport. Promotional companies in MMA are like sanctioning bodies in boxing - UFC Champ, Bellator Champ, ONE FC Champ, etc. - except they can't fight each other and unify like they can in boxing.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
03-10-2017, 09:56 PM
(03-10-2017 09:28 PM)Snoop Wrote:  Works in what way? I think it has it's own flaws respective to its sport. Promotional companies in MMA are like sanctioning bodies in boxing - UFC Champ, Bellator Champ, ONE FC Champ, etc. - except they can't fight each other and unify like they can in boxing.
It works in that it is constantly churning out competitive fights, and promotes them in a way that makes people care to see them. The fighters don't get to dodge fighting certain opponents, because the promotion makes them fight. There are no catch weights, which I know means a lot to you. And the shows they put on are aimed at acquiring new fans, which boxing desperately needs.

The differing promotional companies are more like the Networks/Promoters that exist in boxing. They have frozen and stifled more fights from happening than the MMA companies have. Remember the Golden Boy/Top Rank feud?

In any case, it's a proven model with today's market. The people in Boxing are dumb not to try and copy it.

03-10-2017, 11:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 11:45 PM by Snoop.)
(03-10-2017 09:56 PM)Spyder Wrote:  It works in that it is constantly churning out competitive fights, and promotes them in a way that makes people care to see them. The fighters don't get to dodge fighting certain opponents, because the promotion makes them fight. There are no catch weights, which I know means a lot to you. And the shows they put on are aimed at acquiring new fans, which boxing desperately needs.

The differing promotional companies are more like the Networks/Promoters that exist in boxing. They have frozen and stifled more fights from happening than the MMA companies have. Remember the Golden Boy/Top Rank feud?

In any case, it's a proven model with today's market. The people in Boxing are dumb not to try and copy it.

I'm not going to deny that there are certain advantages to having a fighting sport organized like the UFC, but there are plenty of drawbacks as well. Fighters do dodge fighting certain opponents, not within their own promotional entity, but within the entirety of mixed-martial-arts. Or well, it's not really "dodging" so much that they're not even allowed to contractually fight them. For instance, can you really say the Conor McGregor is the best lightweight in MMA if he's not allowed to fight one from Bellator or WSOF? And I'm not really trying to argue whether or not he is, it's more like we can't even find a definitive answer because a fight like that wouldn't be possible.

And sure, you can compare the UFC to the other promotional companies in boxing; I didn't because boxing promotions don't have their own championships. It would be like saying Canelo is the Golden Boy Champion, and Golovkin is the K2 Champion and the two can't fight one another even though they're in the same sport. The same amount of potential matchups aren't happening in MMA, only it doesn't appear that way because the UFC markets themselves as if they are their own sport opposed to a promotional company within a sport. I guess that's smart in some ways.

As to your point about the UFC aimed at acquiring new fans, I agree with you. I've always thought their marketing strategy was a smart one, but I think a lot of things they did right aren't necessarily based on them organizing their sport differently.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)