Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Boxers that need to hang the gloves up.
03-16-2017, 07:40 PM
RE: Boxers that need to hang the gloves up.
(03-16-2017 04:34 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  The problem is he's being promised more big fights. He is apparently in the running to fight Carl Frampton in Belfast...and which fighter would turn that chance and money down, shot or not?

At the end of the day, fighters like to fight. Should their ability to win a world title or not impact on that decision? After all, there are a zillion four round fighters in much worse shape than Darchinyan, with much worse chins and much more chance of being badly hurt...but we don't call for their retirement. Therefore, our motivation for wanting them out is simply based on our own needs to see our heroes not lose.

But if Darchinyan is happy to go on fighting, winning and losing, earning pay days and doing what he loves, then he should go on doing that for as long as it's safe to. I didn't like seeing Roy Jones getting badly KO'd every other fight...but he's in no more danger than a guy who is 12-58-5 and gets KO'd for a living all around the world.

Black

I'm with Black on that one. If they're able to continue fighting without putting themselves in significant danger or chasing ludicrous goals i.e. Holyfield, then why not let them fight? It's what they do.

RJJ is flirting with that line, though.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-17-2017, 07:59 AM
(03-16-2017 07:40 PM)Snoop Wrote:  I'm with Black on that one. If they're able to continue fighting without putting themselves in significant danger or chasing ludicrous goals i.e. Holyfield, then why not let them fight? It's what they do.

Holyfield wasn't chasing a ludicrous goal. He should've gotten the decision against Valuev for the WBA championship.
Find all posts by this user
03-17-2017, 11:11 AM
(03-17-2017 07:59 AM)Warlord Wrote:  Holyfield wasn't chasing a ludicrous goal. He should've gotten the decision against Valuev for the WBA championship.

That was one of the weirdest and most surreal fights I've seen.

Black
03-17-2017, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 12:06 PM by ViperSniper.)
(03-16-2017 04:34 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  The problem is he's being promised more big fights. He is apparently in the running to fight Carl Frampton in Belfast...and which fighter would turn that chance and money down, shot or not?

At the end of the day, fighters like to fight. Should their ability to win a world title or not impact on that decision? After all, there are a zillion four round fighters in much worse shape than Darchinyan, with much worse chins and much more chance of being badly hurt...but we don't call for their retirement. Therefore, our motivation for wanting them out is simply based on our own needs to see our heroes not lose.

But if Darchinyan is happy to go on fighting, winning and losing, earning pay days and doing what he loves, then he should go on doing that for as long as it's safe to. I didn't like seeing Roy Jones getting badly KO'd every other fight...but he's in no more danger than a guy who is 12-58-5 and gets KO'd for a living all around the world.

Black

Woah! I had no idea Vic is being considered for Frampton..I thought the rubbermatch with Santa Cruz was penciled in!?..

Vic will get hurt if he fights Carl. He is old, fighting well above his best weight, doesn't react well to shots & can't pull the trigger like he used to. It's not like Frampton is a young up n coming kid either, Frampton has already established himself as a top fighter..

Vic is a true fighter who will always want to fight so I don't blame him or many other fighters that wouldn't turn down a big fight, if given the opportunity.

In regards to if a fighter should retire based on the ability to pick up a title or not? No, but wouldn't be the worst time either. I feel a fighter should definitely retire when they lose punch resistance &/or suffer multiple KO's.

I'm sure there are zillion 4 round fighters with worse chins & more out of shape than Vic but we just don't know these guys because they either never had or never will have a noteworthy career.

But yes, as a big fan, I don't want Roy or Vic to show me another way they can get KO'd! lol

Then again, I've never been a fan of Guerrero but he has been taking some serious damage since moving up to Welter & doesn't wear shots as good as he used to.

At least fighters like Robinson, Duran, Foreman were able to defend themselves enough to not be getting stopped when they were old and shot, regardless on whether they came down to matchmaking or not.

(03-16-2017 07:40 PM)Snoop Wrote:  I'm with Black on that one. If they're able to continue fighting without putting themselves in significant danger or chasing ludicrous goals i.e. Holyfield, then why not let them fight? It's what they do.

Flirting? Man do you not rekon RJJ fucked that line years ago when he made winning a Cruiserweight title his goal lol

You know what though Snoop. What would your thoughts be if you read next week that Roy & Evander sign to fight eachother & how would you see that fight going in a 10 rounder? Haha

Could Holyfield come off that layoff & catch Roy or would Roy potshot his way to victory?? uhhuh
03-17-2017, 12:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 05:59 PM by Snoop.)
(03-17-2017 07:59 AM)Warlord Wrote:  Holyfield wasn't chasing a ludicrous goal. He should've gotten the decision against Valuev for the WBA championship.

He should have won that fight, I agree. But I wasn't referring to that. Holyfield also fought for three more years after the Valuev fight, saying he wanted to be the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, which was a ludicrous goal.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-26-2017, 07:21 AM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2017 09:16 PM by ViperSniper.)
Anyone see recently how Mikkel Kessler & Tomasz Adamek are both making comebacks. Anyone think either will be able to find any form of success or get a title shot?

Adamek I feel may be a bit too worn down and small for the division at the moment. He could make for some decent fights with Bellew or Haye or get a fighter with a younger or top fighter based on his name.

Mikkel Kessler said he has maintained his weight and will return to Super Middleweight. Could he beat any of the current title holders? I feel assuming he hasn't slipped too much he could try target fights with a Golovkin, Canelo, Chavez or try get a fight with Abraham which would be a decent money fight over there..maybe convince Froch for a rubbermatch haha
04-26-2017, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2017 01:53 PM by blackbelt2003.)
Neither have any chance at winning world titles (Adamek won't beat any of the current world title holders, and Kessler in his prime couldn't beat Ward, let alone now)...but like I said earlier in the thread...that shouldn't stop them fighting on if they enjoy it and get paid.

Both men are popular, cult figures and can earn paydays keeping their fans happy in Denmark and Poland/Chi-town.

Black

Edit: Just read Kessler is back at 168. He could certainly get himself into title contention there, as it's a more wide open division. He is certainly a marquee name for DeGale or whoever...and may even stand a chance against Chudinov.

Black
04-26-2017, 09:22 PM
Exactly black. His returning back to 168 where it's wide open and there is no shame losing to Ward either. No one in that division comes close to Ward and Kessler has fought the best in that division when it was rich with fighters at the time. Kessler still has a name and considering his maintained his weight through retirement and isn't completely old, this time off could help him get in line of a title shot and a named opponent, possibly win to.
04-29-2017, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-2017 07:34 AM by and the NEW.)
I was pretty surprised when I heard Kessler was making a comeback. I don't think he could do much at this point, but he may be able to beat an Abraham or even a weak champion like that Zeuge guy (who the fukc is that?). The better guys in the division like Gilberto Ramirez will be way too much for him though.
05-06-2017, 03:06 AM
GAMBOA!!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)