Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Boxers that need to hang the gloves up.
05-06-2017, 05:14 PM
RE: Boxers that need to hang the gloves up.
Can't we throw Gamboa and Victor Ortiz in together?

PS I don't mean in a ring, I mean in a blender.

Black
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2017, 11:19 PM
Yeah, Gamboa, far out, what a waste of a career that was. I do feel sorry for these Cubans, they get no traction in pro boxing and it ends up wasting their careers. The only guy who has done ok is Lara. The other problem with the Cuban style in pro boxing, is they have no inside game.
05-09-2017, 03:25 AM
Sharing a promoter with Juanma was the worst thing to ever happen to Gamboa.
07-18-2017, 02:36 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-2017 02:40 AM by ViperSniper.)
Robert Guerrero announced his retirement. Seemed like a top guy, tough & had been in some decent scraps but there was always something about him that was really meh. He had a decent career & was a solid fighter for his time.
07-19-2017, 09:04 PM
I had a similar "meh" feeling for Rocky Juarez.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-19-2017, 09:53 PM
Rocky Juarez was verry meh! Didn't someone make a thread about these kind of fighters?? Lol
07-22-2017, 01:41 AM
(07-18-2017 02:36 AM)ViperSniper Wrote:  Robert Guerrero announced his retirement. Seemed like a top guy, tough & had been in some decent scraps but there was always something about him that was really meh. He had a decent career & was a solid fighter for his time.

At the end of his career, Guerrero's best I faced:

BEST JAB
Joel Casamayor: When we used to spar at Joe Goossen’s gym, Joel showed me how to use a stiff jab. When we fought, I had never hit the canvas in any fight, amateur or pro, until the final round of our bout, where Casamayor caught me with a flash knockdown using his jab. He’s a master with his jab.

BEST DEFENSE
Floyd Mayweather Jr.: His elusiveness is second to none. It seemed like every time I tried to land a big shot, he was already 10 steps ahead of me. By far the best defensive fighter I’ve faced.

BEST CHIN
Yoshihiro Kamegai: Man, I hit this guy with everything I got and he still kept coming. If you look at all his fights, he’s always taking shots from big punchers. Kamegai has an incredible chin.

FASTEST HANDS
Malcolm Klassen: At the lighter weights, you’ll see guys with fast hands and that was the case when I fought Klassen. We fought at junior lightweight and his hand speed was amazing. As you can see, he’s still going strong, winning another world title (Klassen won the IBO junior lightweight title against Jack Asis in early August). Floyd was more of a potshot puncher.

FASTEST FEET
Mayweather: His lateral movement, I’ve never seen anything like it. You don’t really know how good Floyd’s feet are until you fight him. He’s very fast on his feet, which makes him hard to hit.

SMARTEST
Mayweather: If you watch the first few rounds of our fight, you see that I was winning on the inside. Floyd thought I wasn’t going to have much power as I was coming up from 122 pounds, at one point in my career. He was trying to stand his ground and fight me on the inside in the first two rounds but I caught him with a nice body blow and he made the adjustment. He certainly used his brain to win the fight.

STRONGEST
Keith Thurman: Physically he’s very strong and you can feel it when the fight gets on the inside. He’s actually a natural 154-pounder fighting at 147, so you can imagine how strong he is. He’s just got that natural strength. Some people are just born strong.

BEST PUNCHER
Thurman: Thurman really knows how to put all his power behind his punches. Even when he’s moving laterally, he finds a way to land a big shot from a weird angle. He has power in both hands.

BEST SKILLS
Mayweather: He put everything together and made the proper adjustments in all his fights. He’s not the biggest puncher but his skills are arguably the best ever.

BEST OVERALL
Mayweather: Floyd is the total package. His superior speed, ring IQ, fast feet make him very difficult to beat, hence the reason he retired undefeated. No one was ever able to figure him out.
07-22-2017, 02:06 AM
Good read. Always good to see fighters rate their opponents. I remember seeing Toney say the greatest fighter he fought was Roy Jones & the heaviest hitter was Samuel Peter..
07-22-2017, 03:31 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2017 03:32 AM by and the NEW.)
Yeah, I always read the Ring's best I faced articles. It is interesting to see that most fighters give a lot more praise to fighters they beat, than to fighters they lost to. That must come down to the ego of a fighter I guess. Good to see Guerrero looks brutally honest and praising guys he lost to, which seems the kind of guy he is.
04-09-2018, 10:35 AM
Ricardo Mayorga needs to retire! Just got stopped and made it the 2nd bout in a row he has lost by stoppage!

https://fightnews.com/gomez-stops-mayorga-eight/18759

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)