Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Poll: Who wins?
Canelo by KO/TKO
Canelo by decision
GGG by KO/TKO
GGG by decision
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Canelo-GGG offcially signed for September 16th
09-20-2017, 05:42 AM
RE: Canelo-GGG offcially signed for September 16th
Canelo did not win 10-12 unless you score rounds based on 10-20 seconds of a round instead of the entire 3 minutes of a round.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2017, 07:35 AM
I just rewatched it for the first time. Had it 116-112 to GGG live. Second time around, I thought it was closer, 115-113 for GGG. I thought GGG did enough to win, if even just through his ring generalship. But I'm not too unhappy with the draw now.

Great fight.
09-20-2017, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2017 10:01 AM by ViperSniper.)
(09-19-2017 08:33 PM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  One thing I've always found odd/interesting in watching Golovkin's fights over the years is that his shots don't necessarily "look" hard, but the guys he touches just seem to crumble. My point is that they definitely carry more potency than visibly appears to be the case. While Golovkin's shots may not appear to be damaging Canelo much, IMO they were. Canelo definitely played them off well with the head shakes and such, but his body language to me suggested that they were indeed damaging shots.

Canelo throws much faster shots that are eye-catching. His power is similar at 160 to a guy like Taylor that threw similar shots... fast, explosive stuff that can surprise the opponent and do damage more with the speed than the sheer power. That type of explosive power can definitely keep a guy honest, but in terms of damaging it's not going to do what a natural power puncher is capable of.

Golovkins shots "look" heavy & thudding but feel it's his constant pressure that has also contributed to alot of his opponents crumbling.

Also feel his punches did appear to be effecting Canelo & the head shaking/body language you brought up gave me that impression.

I agree with all your breakdown of Canelo's power. One thing I'll add to that is Canelo loading up on his shots (more so than Golovkin) which contributes to his power. Canelo puts everything into his punches by really winding up & getting his body behind them.

(09-20-2017 03:04 AM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  The face being marked up doesn't score a fight but it does signify that Canelo's punches were doing damage, which some on here seemed to think wasn't happening.

We're talking like Canelo ran the whole fight.

He didn't run in rounds 1-3 because he bossed those. He was actually pushing Golovkin back.

He stood and fought in rounds 10-12 and won those, too, with sharper, harder, more accurate punches.

There was a bad patch in the middle rounds where he shut off his workload and went on his bike, probably down to GGG's intelligent pressure and power. Golovkin won those rounds.

I'm struggling to see how anyone is having such an easy time giving Golovkin rounds in which he hardly landed.

I'm happy for a GGG win, but not by 117-111. Man that's almost as crazy as 118-110 Canelo! This was a close fight. Consensus seems to lean towards GGG, but I had it a draw.

Black

Golovkin's face being marked up could also be due to his skin also apposed to how damaging Canelo's punches were to GGG. It's not the first time we've seen GGG marked up in a fight & don't need power to mark someone up anyways. Both fighters were marked up because they both landed cleanly on each other.

Hahaha @ 117-111 card for Golovkin almost being as crazy as 118-110 for Canelo. Well our cards are quite different from eachother, that's for sure lol

I'm sure if I was to watch it a 3rd time I'd score it differently again as there were a good 4 or so rounds that were tricky to score in a competitive fight with not many clear decisive rounds.
09-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I've done a breakdown of the rounds in the other thread.

Rounds 4, 5, 6, 9 and 11 are all tough rounds to score in my opinion.

Black
09-20-2017, 11:22 AM
I don't put any stock into whether or not a fighters face gets marked up or not. A 4 year old can mark someones face up if they are the type of person to mark up easily. There are fighters who get marked up in every fight they are in, while there are others that essentially never seem to be marked up.

The only time worth referencing this topic, IMO, would be if you see guy get marked up that never gets marked up, or a guy that usually gets marked up but in a fight doesn't.
09-20-2017, 03:30 PM
Head shaking shouldnt be how a fight is scored. You don't get extra points for showboating in other sports.
09-20-2017, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2017 09:55 PM by Method.)
(09-20-2017 03:30 PM)Dickagon Wrote:  Head shaking shouldnt be how a fight is scored. You don't get extra points for showboating in other sports.
Esp when GGG did most of the head shaking.

I noticed Canelo picked up that head turn that DLH had going when he was getting tagged in the latter half of the Trinidad fight. its like the facial version of the shoulder roll.

Its a shame Canelo has to be w ODLH.
09-21-2017, 07:24 PM
You know it's a close fight when people are talking about who shook his head more.

Canelo missed a lot with his flurries but so did GGG.

It was ridiculous hearing all these GGG fans prior to the fight talking about how GGG was going to butcher Canelo. Then, when Canelo laid on the ropes, Golovkin was reluctant to attack.

At the end of the day, I would have rather been GGG because he dictated the pace of the fight and landed a bit more shots but it sure was a close fight.
09-22-2017, 02:25 AM
I thought they were both overrated. To be fair Canelo really didnt want this fight til it seemed like Golovkin had slowed down some.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Canelo NOT Fighting September 14 JD 17 853 07-25-2019 01:39 PM
Last Post: JD
Star Canelo-GGG II signed for September 15th! ViperSniper 179 24,774 06-22-2019 06:04 AM
Last Post: Imperius3
  Alvarez-Chavez signed!!! September 13th! Mexicana!!! ViperSniper 8 5,857 08-02-2014 12:43 PM
Last Post: JONdaCON

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)