Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

R.I.P Gregg Allman
06-05-2017, 06:07 AM
R.I.P Gregg Allman
Heard the passing of Gregg Allman from the Allman Brothers band last week. I had only heard & gotten into them heavily in my 20's & quickly became one of my favourite bands & were a very gifted talented band. The guitar and vocals were so pro.

4min mark and onwards is awsome guitar work.

The solo to this song is epic..sounds like the guitar is crying here.

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2017, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2017 09:10 PM by Method.)
RE: R.I.P Gregg Allman
Favorite band of musicians of all time, and it aint even close.

Been jamming my allman's catalogue since May 27th...basically around the clock. Catalogue of shows/recordings runs deep.

Just bummin that its the end of an era. Allmans have been the soundtrack of my life...

and if that wasnt enough, have some of this...

which takes you to this, which is really fucking cool...

How many of you knew Duane Allman wrote the guitar lick in Layla, and played slide w Clapton on it?

06-06-2017, 09:36 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017 10:02 AM by ViperSniper.)
What a song and performance of Whipping Post. Didn't know Duane played slide with Clapton or know he created the licks to Layla.
I haven't heard their entire catalogue yet but am amazed how one band have been able to produce so many epic songs that takes you on a journey and so many songs that are able to give me the chills the way they did..whether that be due to the lyrics, vocals or of course the music itself.

I'm hoping you were lucky enough to have seen them live Meth..cause I'll never be able to say that ever!

Awsome vids..just watched them now and although I can say I've never been a Clapton fan..he has always been mentioned as one of the greatest guitarist..for him to give such HEAVY praise to Duane Allman is saying ALOT!

06-06-2017, 12:24 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2017 12:29 PM by Method.)
I saw them live many times. Went to College in NYC right around the time they started their annual residency at the Beacon Theater.

Was at this show too...one of my all time favorites...

Clapton wanted desperately for duane Allman to join Derek and the Dominoes. Duane and the Allman Brothers Band just started to get hot, so he declined.

Ive seen the Brothers a ton, and all the solo projects (Gregg, Dickey, Govt Mule, Derek Trucks Band).

Read the biographies.

Cant get enough.

RIP Gregory.
06-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Hahaa very niice! That's awsome as, you're so lucky! I'll give that 40th anniversary gig you were at when I get a chance.
06-07-2017, 12:19 PM
(06-06-2017 06:21 PM)ViperSniper Wrote:  Hahaa very niice! That's awsome as, you're so lucky! I'll give that 40th anniversary gig you were at when I get a chance.

The 20 minute Whipping Post has gotten me through many a cardio routines, whether biking, running, spinning or jumping rope. Will have your face melting half way through the song.

Im really bummed about Gregg. Not because they were making new music - they werent. Not becauase he sounded as strong in 2017 as he did in '14 or '09 or '01 or '90 or '73 or '69 - he didnt.

Just such a big part of my musical life...ups, downs, road trips, partying...the whole nine.

Just feel like a part of me has died. A huge part of music history has died. Just certain things remind us of mortality. This is one of them...for me.
06-08-2017, 02:09 AM (This post was last modified: 06-08-2017 02:10 AM by ViperSniper.)
(06-07-2017 12:19 PM)Method Wrote:  The 20 minute Whipping Post has gotten me through many a cardio routines, whether biking, running, spinning or jumping rope. Will have your face melting half way through the song.

Im really bummed about Gregg. Not because they were making new music - they werent. Not becauase he sounded as strong in 2017 as he did in '14 or '09 or '01 or '90 or '73 or '69 - he didnt.

Just such a big part of my musical life...ups, downs, road trips, partying...the whole nine.

Just feel like a part of me has died. A huge part of music history has died. Just certain things remind us of mortality. This is one of them...for me.

I've found myself hitting the bag to In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed before in the past haha. I got into The Allman Brothers during a big part of my life & some of their songs had gotten me through the bad & also made the good times even better. They're a very versatile band that covered so many moods & genres. I remember when my ex had heard Jelly Jelly playing & she basically started creamin her panties over Gregg Allman's vocals lmao. His voice didn't age at all which is to be expected from most and from seeing their later performances hadn't slowed down or missed a beat as a band.

They are normally the first band I show people now when music becomes a discussion & always get a positive response. Only thing that is a damn shame is how unknown and underrated they are down here anyways..to the point it's criminal.

Yeah it sounds like you had some seriously mad love for the band which is why it's crazy you got the chance to see them many times in the flesh. I'm guttered I didn't experience their sound live and in person!
06-15-2017, 01:15 PM
(06-06-2017 12:24 PM)Method Wrote:  I saw them live many times. Went to College in NYC right around the time they started their annual residency at the Beacon Theater.

Was at this show too...one of my all time favorites...

Clapton wanted desperately for duane Allman to join Derek and the Dominoes. Duane and the Allman Brothers Band just started to get hot, so he declined.

Ive seen the Brothers a ton, and all the solo projects (Gregg, Dickey, Govt Mule, Derek Trucks Band).

Read the biographies.

Cant get enough.

RIP Gregory.

(06-08-2017 02:09 AM)ViperSniper Wrote:  I've found myself hitting the bag to In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed before in the past haha. I got into The Allman Brothers during a big part of my life & some of their songs had gotten me through the bad & also made the good times even better. They're a very versatile band that covered so many moods & genres. I remember when my ex had heard Jelly Jelly playing & she basically started creamin her panties over Gregg Allman's vocals lmao. His voice didn't age at all which is to be expected from most and from seeing their later performances hadn't slowed down or missed a beat as a band.

They are normally the first band I show people now when music becomes a discussion & always get a positive response. Only thing that is a damn shame is how unknown and underrated they are down here anyways..to the point it's criminal.

Yeah it sounds like you had some seriously mad love for the band which is why it's crazy you got the chance to see them many times in the flesh. I'm guttered I didn't experience their sound live and in person!
Dont be gutted. The beautiful thing is they recorded live and all the great live shows are available on apple music, etc. Or to order. Yeah, concerts were fun, but you have plenty of opportunity to enjoy their live recordings.

Also, check out Govt Mule (Warren Haynes, Allen Woody(RIP), and check out Derek Trucks Band. Two Alan alumn offshot bands that are just killer. Derek Trucks is an animal.
06-16-2017, 08:24 PM
(06-15-2017 01:15 PM)Method Wrote:  Dont be gutted. The beautiful thing is they recorded live and all the great live shows are available on apple music, etc. Or to order. Yeah, concerts were fun, but you have plenty of opportunity to enjoy their live recordings.

Also, check out Govt Mule (Warren Haynes, Allen Woody(RIP), and check out Derek Trucks Band. Two Alan alumn offshot bands that are just killer. Derek Trucks is an animal.

Yeah I got one of their live concert from the early 90's on cd that came from a boxset of theirs. I introduced them to someone last week who had never heard of them and they had said it wasn't something they'd normally listen to but really liked it and added it to their playlist already haha.

Ok cool, I'll have to give those two bands a listen when I get the chance along with that gig your were at! Cheers man!
06-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Man. Youtube Derek Trucks Band and te song "Afro Blue". Derek goes off. Slide guitarist. Total badass. He does a killer version of Bob Matley's Rastaman Chant. All instrumental. Really. Check it out.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)