Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Travel Thread
07-12-2017, 02:00 AM
Travel Thread
Okay so I thought this thread could be used for anything & everything travel related. Whether that be stories, fav/worst places, upcoming trips ect.

Soo..who has been to Cuba here? I'm seriously considering going & would appreciate any insight or advice on the country. How much time/money do you need over there, where are places to go, what's the best time of the year?? ANY insight will do!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2017, 02:21 AM
RE: Travel Thread
I have been to Cuba. I absolutely loved it. I was there in the middle of July which by all accounts isnt the best time to go as its hurricane season. I never seen one but did get thumder and lightning at nights. No big deal though. You dont need much money really although I was in Varadero at an all inclusive hotel. The only money I really spent was on day trips.

I would recommend more than the 1 night I had in Havana. I only got a flavour of what that place would be like for a single man there for a good time. I would be fucking amazing. I might do maybe 4 nights in Havana and 10 in Varadero at the beach.

There are other beach resorts available but I really liked Varadero so I would recommend. The sea is like walking into a bath its so warm and the sand is pure white. Straight off a postcard.
07-12-2017, 03:19 AM
(07-12-2017 02:21 AM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  I have been to Cuba. I absolutely loved it. I was there in the middle of July which by all accounts isnt the best time to go as its hurricane season. I never seen one but did get thumder and lightning at nights. No big deal though. You dont need much money really although I was in Varadero at an all inclusive hotel. The only money I really spent was on day trips.

I would recommend more than the 1 night I had in Havana. I only got a flavour of what that place would be like for a single man there for a good time. I would be fucking amazing. I might do maybe 4 nights in Havana and 10 in Varadero at the beach.

There are other beach resorts available but I really liked Varadero so I would recommend. The sea is like walking into a bath its so warm and the sand is pure white. Straight off a postcard.

Man..what a response..cheers Lloyd!

How much money is not much money & why was the only money you spent on daytrips and not nightlife or anything else? How long all up were you in Cuba for & would 3 weeks be overkill over there? Lol

Other than the white sand n warm water, what was it about Varadero you liked so much?

Well..my perception of Cuba IS basically a postcard. I'm pretty certain I'll be going..just a matter of when and how long for!
07-12-2017, 02:25 PM
It was 2012 I was there Viper to be honest I cant remember but I think I maybe spent between 500-1000 pounds. The reason for not spending much on nightlife basically was that I was there with Mrs M and shes not a big drinker (and our hotel was AI) We did go out for 2 or 3 meals in Varadero town and a couple of nights out and it was good but you probably would want to focus that element of your holiday on Havana which would no dount come at a price if it were a week. Well worth it tho IMO.

Thing to remember though is Varadero and the other resort town are just that, resorts, big hotels and not a huge amount else. The real Cuba is there for you and accessible though. This is why I would recommend a few days in Havana to kick the arse out it and get the real flavour then have your beach holiday in a resort.

Guardalavaca (sp?) And the Cayos (Coco, Blanco and Guillermo IIRC) are the main other resorts to have a look at I think. And maybe Holguin.

I cant speak highly enough of Cuba mate honestly. Best holiday me and her have had.
07-14-2017, 05:50 AM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2017 05:51 AM by blackbelt2003.)
Me and the missus are going next year. Relations are slowly improving between Castro Jr and the US and the old Havana will be gone soon once new cars and building upgrades come in...so I am definitely going to see it before it changes.

Will be a family holiday though with our two kids so will do a resort style holiday with some escapes to see Havana. Maybe even an overnight or two there if we can.

Is there much else to see of interest besides Havana or is the rest of it mostly resorts and beaches?

Black
07-14-2017, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 07-15-2017 01:23 AM by Snoop.)
I went to Trindad for about 9 days and that trip changed my life. Havana was cool too. I got to train at the Rafael Trejo boxing gym and was repeatedly called a "fat boy" for wanting to drink water. Haha. Cubans don't play when it comes to boxing.

I would definitely check it out before relations between the US and Castro improve. It will turn into an absolute shit-hole once tourism opens up.

One thing to be aware of is that there is a Cuban Peso and a "Tourist Peso". Tourist Pesos are worth significantly more, and sometimes the prices of food are listed in Cuban Pesos, but sometimes they won't say anything if you try to pay with the tourist one. Just ask around. Generally people there are honest and friendly, probably some of the most genuine people I've ever met. But there are probably more hustlers in Havana.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-14-2017, 05:57 PM
Italy... Greece... Spain... Puerto Rico... US Virgin Islands... Mexico...

Italy was AMAZING.... as was Greece. So much rich history.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-15-2017, 09:45 PM
(07-12-2017 02:21 AM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  I have been to Cuba. I absolutely loved it. I was there in the middle of July which by all accounts isnt the best time to go as its hurricane season. I never seen one but did get thumder and lightning at nights. No big deal though. You dont need much money really although I was in Varadero at an all inclusive hotel. The only money I really spent was on day trips.

The Castro regime thanks you for your patronage.
07-16-2017, 01:54 AM
They are welcome to it. Vas Bien Fidel
07-16-2017, 05:50 AM
Do you know why Cuban refugees and immigrants votd overwhelmingly for Trump in our last election?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  If you could time travel.... JONdaCON 7 4,637 05-08-2012 08:47 AM
Last Post: SmartyBeardo

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)