Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Andre Ward Retires
09-22-2017, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2017 02:33 AM by blackbelt2003.)
RE: Andre Ward Retires
I still would have liked the Stevenson win on his resume just for clarification. But other than that it would have just been routine defences or hungry young lions like Beterbiev...which is dangerous territory when your heart isn't in it any more.

Still, I like to see the torch passed rather than retirements.

Black
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2017, 04:42 AM
Meh...I'm happy to see the budget freed up.

For all his skill and ability, Ward made shit fights. I'm disappointed he didn't end up with that 1 loss he deserved from Kovalev.
09-22-2017, 05:25 AM
It appears 2017 in boxing has not only been good but also the year of retirements. Wladamir, Bradley, Marquez & now Ward!
09-22-2017, 07:25 AM
Don't forget Mayweather and a door-hitting-ass-on-way-out type comment.

Black
09-22-2017, 07:39 AM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2017 07:39 AM by JONdaCON.)
Robert Guerrero as well.

Cotto at years end.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-22-2017, 09:52 AM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
09-22-2017, 10:32 AM
(09-22-2017 04:42 AM)JD Wrote:  Meh...I'm happy to see the budget freed up.

For all his skill and ability, Ward made shit fights. I'm disappointed he didn't end up with that 1 loss he deserved from Kovalev.

Exactly. For someone who claims to be as good as he says he is, he has a pretty underwhelming resumé. Never fought outside the US (hardly fought outside of Oakland), had nearly a 2 year layoff (not necessarily his fault, but still), and was overall kind of a boring fighter in the ring. It'd be one thing if he acknowledged that there was plenty of work left to do and he just wanted to sacrifice legacy for his health, and it's another to think you've done everything that there is to do. I think his smug-ass attitude is what bugs me most.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-22-2017, 12:29 PM
That's exactly what it is. He thought he was an interesting fighter people would pay to see - he wasn't.

He thought he could call the shots in every negotiation. He acted like HBO owed him something...so I'm glad to see him go. In his 20's he fought like a late 40's Hopkins.

Hopefully we won't have to be lectured by Virgil Hunter any longer either.
09-22-2017, 12:54 PM
(09-22-2017 12:29 PM)JD Wrote:  That's exactly what it is. He thought he was an interesting fighter people would pay to see - he wasn't.

He thought he could call the shots in every negotiation. He acted like HBO owed him something...so I'm glad to see him go. In his 20's he fought like a late 40's Hopkins.

Hopefully we won't have to be lectured by Virgil Hunter any longer either.

Yeah. That Kessler fight was disgusting. Non-stop clinching and headbutting from Ward.
09-22-2017, 03:09 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-2017 11:17 PM by ViperSniper.)
(09-22-2017 10:32 AM)Snoop Wrote:  Exactly. For someone who claims to be as good as he says he is, he has a pretty underwhelming resumé. Never fought outside the US (hardly fought outside of Oakland), had nearly a 2 year layoff (not necessarily his fault, but still), and was overall kind of a boring fighter in the ring. It'd be one thing if he acknowledged that there was plenty of work left to do and he just wanted to sacrifice legacy for his health, and it's another to think you've done everything that there is to do. I think his smug-ass attitude is what bugs me most.

Although it may not seem like a massive deal, one of my only real criticism of Ward was not fighting out of the US. In the S6 Andre Ward was the only fighter that didn't have to fight in an opponents country. The only fighter in the entire tournament & coming from an Olympics gold medalist as well!! I never knew the reason behind this & always felt the media should have been on to it back then.

I believe it was his final 2 fights with Kovalev that were his only fights in his entire career that was fought out of his hometown.

I guess you could also look at it that Ward done very well to pile up such a resume & career in what seems to be in little time. Although there was time wasted he has managed to do things his way his entire career & has done incredibly well in the sport. He is an accomplished fighter who retires the best in the world with an undefeated record.

It's a shame that he has retired now as I really wanted to see him and Adonis Stevenson fight. Sure we got it last week but it's not often you have a linear & proclaimed best champion in the one division. Those kinds of fights needs to happen in boxing!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Andre Ward Retires JD 2 1,491 09-21-2017 04:02 PM
Last Post: The Conscience
  Andre Ward-Sulivan Barrera ViperSniper 67 37,114 04-24-2016 09:05 AM
Last Post: and the NEW
  Andre Ward's Got a Fight! boxingcritic 4 4,807 01-20-2015 04:34 AM
Last Post: blackbelt2003

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)