Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Poll: Has GGG declined?
Yes
No
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Is GGG on the slide??
01-04-2018, 04:38 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2018 04:31 AM by ViperSniper.)
Is GGG on the slide??
I have seen some fans say since the Jacobs/Canelo fights that GGG is on the decline. Others pointed to the Canelo fight & the punches thrown to suggest this & that GGG is no longer the monster he once was!

Is this true and we're seeing GGG aging in the ring or could it be off night(s) or the quality of opposition has been tougher in his last couple of fights?

I personally don't think GGG has declined but feel Jacobs/Canelo had what it takes to challenge Golovkin.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2018, 07:31 AM
RE: Is GGG on the slide??
I think it’s a mix of GGG losing a little of his intensity and also being slightly overrated in the first place due to the low levels of his opposition.

Point in case: Marvin Hagler would have smashed Jacobs and Canelo to bits.

Black
01-04-2018, 08:58 AM
Yes. GGG has slipped a bit.

But he still beat Canelo, and will do so more clearly if they rematch in May.
01-04-2018, 05:59 PM
He's been slipping but not by much.. its been very slow... probably cuz he hasn't been through many Wars.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2018, 05:40 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2018 05:41 AM by and the NEW.)
Yeah agree with most above, he has slipped, but only slightly. Canelo is no slouch and Jacobs was HUGE and you could tell GGG felt awkward with his style. Combined, it made for two close wins for GGG.

GGG is no Lomachenko, but he is still an excellent middleweight champion and a future HOFer.
01-05-2018, 07:20 AM
Golovkin never beat anyone to earn the praise he's getting. He never belonged in the same ring as a dude like Ward, someone people thought he could fight. I think he may have faded a little but he crafted an image of being unbeatable and having ATG power by beating up on trash. I think he beat Canelo pretty easily but that isn't saying much either. Canelo would have never got to this level without DLH desperately trying to turn him into the new DLH.
01-05-2018, 09:20 AM
Yeah, agreed. GGG rose through the P4P ranks with dominant performances over weak opponents. When you’re p4p top three but your best opponents to date are David Lemieux, Daniel Geale and Martin Murray, then you’re bound to look like you’re slipping when you finally fight a Jacobs or Canelo.

Black
01-05-2018, 10:02 AM
That's the thing though. P4P lists have changed alot in little time where it has become more of an individuals favourite or who people like or "look" good. It's almost like you just have to have skill and put on a showing.

These days fighters are not only entering p4p rankings with prospect numbers but they're also getting title shots much earlier on too which adds to this change.

I remember Gamboa & Broner once being in the top 10 without ever beatin anyone worth a damn but were there due to the eye & popularity test & even GGG & Lomachenko entering the top 10 much earlier than they should have.

It felt like not long ago you had fighters like Barrera, Morales, DLH, Mosley, Jones, Hopkins on p4p lists who were all established, experienced, proven boxers that had many years and pro fights behind them.

Sergey Kovalev may or may not be on most p4p lists but still on mine as he may be the only p4p boxer who has earned his status by beating an all time great and one of the best of this generation in Hopkins like noone ever had, went on a good run and fought the p4p #1 twice in close fights.

The p4p rankings the past 18 months have been all over the place. Mayweather, Ward, Kovalev, GGG, Gonzalez, Crawford & Loma have all been considered p4p #1 by many.
01-05-2018, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2018 05:06 PM by blackbelt2003.)
Good post Viper.

Fighters fight less these days. Therefore, we’re having to try and suss a fighter’s worth much earlier and there’s just not enough evidence to rank them properly.

Hopkins had, like fifteen world title fights against genuine world class opponents before he started entering any kind of p4p rankings. Broner gate crashed the p4p scene because he looked flashy in his first five against guys like Gavin Rees.

Black
01-06-2018, 12:49 AM
Yes and no, I think he got bored and started fighting one way instead of adapting and destroying guys he's falling into a routine now where he's simply just a stalking forward power puncher who pays little mind to defense unless you crack him a good one.

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)