Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Your favourite rabbit holes
05-27-2022, 09:49 AM
Your favourite rabbit holes
I was nightshift lastnight and with the entire Internet at my fingertips, was still bored as fuck.

A couple of my favourite pastimes are you tube channels MyMechanics, a guy who does metalwork and restoration. Despite not being into those things, his work is amazing and totally hypnotic. And Still It, a New Zealand guy who distills things, which is something I am into myself.

How do you alleviate boredom using the power of the net?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2022, 10:55 AM
RE: Your favourite rabbit holes
(05-27-2022 09:49 AM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  I was nightshift lastnight and with the entire Internet at my fingertips, was still bored as fuck.

A couple of my favourite pastimes are you tube channels MyMechanics, a guy who does metalwork and restoration. Despite not being into those things, his work is amazing and totally hypnotic. And Still It, a New Zealand guy who distills things, which is something I am into myself.

How do you alleviate boredom using the power of the net?

Any kind of restoration video. Restoring vintage video game consoles or games (which I enjoy doing myself), or restoring other vintage antiques like firearms, safes, cash register, or other metal objects from Americana.

There’s nothing like seeing those old objects restored to glory, or even better, doing it yourself.

One of my favorite TV shows in China was American Restoration, which I absolutely adored. It turned to shit a bit as it went on, focusing more on the people and less on the work, but it mostly satisfied the hunger I had for that kind of stuff.

I love the YouTube restoration videos from guys who wear black gloves, and you never see their face or hear their voice. All you see is the work.

That shit is so awesome to me that I fast forward through any segments that include just talking, but don’t miss even a second of watching the item get sand blasted or scrubbed with a tooth brush.

I cringe when I see amateurs trot out steel wool or sand grit to clean metal. Animals!

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
05-27-2022, 12:22 PM
That's what MyMechanics is like War. No nonsense. Never see the guys face or hear him speak really. It's just the piece and the tools. Serious amount of lathe work which blows my mind. You might like a more detailed video if you are into it but it's paced just right for me, a rank outsider, to keep me interested.

I challenge anyone not to love the video where he makes a stainless steel 8 ball. It's glorious.
05-31-2022, 01:01 AM
My friend used to watch this YouTube channel of some guy that would go into the woods with only an axe, then build like two-story buildings with a hot-tub. It was freakin' insane and oddly (yet not so oddly) calming to watch.

I might even be mistaken in saying he brought an axe. It could have been like a piece of string, then he made his own axe out of a stone and a stick.

People are amazing. They never cease to surprise me.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-31-2022, 01:29 PM
(05-31-2022 01:01 AM)Snoop Wrote:  My friend used to watch this YouTube channel of some guy that would go into the woods with only an axe, then build like two-story buildings with a hot-tub. It was freakin' insane and oddly (yet not so oddly) calming to watch.

I might even be mistaken in saying he brought an axe. It could have been like a piece of string, then he made his own axe out of a stone and a stick.

People are amazing. They never cease to surprise me.

I saw one where a dude built a cabin in the woods with nothing but wood pallets he gathered from retail stores.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
05-31-2022, 01:52 PM
That sort of thing makes me embarrassed, I can't build shit.

That said, I dint have a lot of tools, and the right tools make any job hugely easier.

I can create, but only in the field of drink and food.
05-31-2022, 06:49 PM
I love watching the guys that forge random shit

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
06-02-2022, 01:30 PM
(05-31-2022 01:52 PM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  That sort of thing makes me embarrassed, I can't build shit.

That said, I dint have a lot of tools, and the right tools make any job hugely easier.

I can create, but only in the field of drink and food.

Two years ago I didn't know how to properly carry a ladder. It was fucking disgraceful.

Through a combination of YouTube, volunteering for building organizations, and hanging out with carpentry folks, now I can almost build a tiny home on my own. Like just about anything else, all it takes is time, practice and dedication.

And if all else fails, I'll build you a cabin one day and you provide the drinks and BBQ cuz I can't cook for shit. lol

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2022, 02:15 PM
The BU man mansion.

At the end of days, you can sign me the fuck up!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)