Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

The forgotten warriors
07-03-2018, 11:53 PM
The forgotten warriors
Who do you think are some warriors that almost any casual even semi hardcore fan might not know today but were a big deal to the sport in their time and in their own way?

I think Lindell Holmes is a big one, one of the original players at 168 when it was a new division along with another 168lber who was also at the fore front of it Chongpal Park etc...guys like that as an example.

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2018, 06:33 AM
RE: The forgotten warriors
Jimmy Thunder.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
07-04-2018, 08:31 AM
Though none know him, everybody know him war, his ko of Crawford Grimsley is the most over played knockout in the history of knockouts.

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
07-04-2018, 11:58 AM
I'm really surprised people don't remember Carl Thompson more fondly...he was the British Arturo Gatti of his day. So many eye popping wars!

Black
07-04-2018, 04:51 PM
Roland LaStarza.

He was highly regarded in his day. He and Rocky Marciano were the two biggest heavyweight prospects in the world, followed by Rex Layne.

Roland lost a razor-thin decision against Rocky in their first fight (look it up if you want to know how thin. A decision like that literally could not happen in boxing today), which was an absolute war.

It's very like LaStarza would've held the strap at some point if not for Marciano. He was a wrecking ball right up until he got destroyed by Rock in the rematch. I don't mean dominated, as he put up another good fight. I simply mean Rocky put the kind of beating on him that few men recover from, including LaStarza. (There were many others Rocky did this to.)

In his day Roland LaStarza was an absolute beast in the ring. It's a shame he doesn't get much recognition, for he was a warrior indeed. Unfortunately for him, Rocky Marciano was a conqueror.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
07-06-2018, 03:25 AM
Believe it or not Vasyli Jirov is becoming one of these. These younger generations have no idea who he is. Been using Facebook to kinda feel out who people know and don't.

07-06-2018, 05:05 AM
It was a shame he moved up to heavy after losing to Toney and kinda faded away.

As a cruiser champ he was everything you want to see: powerful, tough, aggressive and fought non stop.

I liked him.

Black
07-06-2018, 05:30 AM
Jirov was a scary action fighter who didn't have the physic to be a force at Heavyweight but did a big number on the much bigger Mesi! Awsome fighter
07-09-2018, 03:44 PM
Bennie Briscoe
07-12-2018, 08:12 PM
Obviously Jirov's masterpiece was his fight with Toney.

Outside of that, my favorite Jirov fight was with Julian Letterlough.

Letterlough, who learned to box in prison and never had a single amateur fight, moved up in weight from lhw to cruiser to fight Jirov (outstanding fighter of 1996 olympics) on HBO.

Letterlough also met his father in prison for the very first time. And he was shot to death at 35. Tough life.

He wasn't a great fighter, but when he stepped up in weight to fight Jirov on HBO he brought it. He ate a ton of Jirov body shots and kept coming.

Genuine warrior!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDw0WuJSiUo&t=360s

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)