Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Creed II
08-14-2018, 05:38 AM
Creed II
Creed 2 is coming out and hope it can be just as good as the first Creed movie which I had little expectations in but most certainly delivered! How did you guys rate the first one??

Doesn't look too bad!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2018, 06:39 AM
RE: Creed II
Never saw the first one, won't see the second. Trailer looks like shit. "We got dis."

No interest in seeing the black Tommy Gunn fight Ivan Drago Jr.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
08-14-2018, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2018 07:22 AM by ViperSniper.)
What was it about the first Creed movie that made you not want to see it?

I admit I wasn't too pumped about the idea and seeing trailers for it but when I finally got around to watching it I was surprised to sit through and enjoy the movie. Wasn't aware that it had Bellew in the movie..along with Ward too obviously.

It was definitely a different look & approach to the Rocky franchises but still used Rocky references & also having Sly in, along with decent actors made it a solid boxing movie!
08-14-2018, 11:18 AM
(08-14-2018 07:22 AM)ViperSniper Wrote:  What was it about the first Creed movie that made you not want to see it?

I admit I wasn't too pumped about the idea and seeing trailers for it but when I finally got around to watching it I was surprised to sit through and enjoy the movie. Wasn't aware that it had Bellew in the movie..along with Ward too obviously.

It was definitely a different look & approach to the Rocky franchises but still used Rocky references & also having Sly in, along with decent actors made it a solid boxing movie!

I'm a huge Stallone fan, and love the Rocky series. I have no desire to see Stallone or Rocky play second fiddle to someone in what is essentially a Rocky movie.

Additionally, I've seen Rocky V. I don't need to see the black Tommy Gunn (who unlike the real Tommy will never turn evil because of Hollywood's "noble savage+magical negro" trope).

Finally, I don't like Michael B. Jordan. Never have. Hated him from first sight.

On a side-note, I am also tired of the whole stereotypical urbanization of blacks on film. Not every character has to be some noble savage from the hood making good. Not every "black movie" needs a hip hop soundtrack to accompany it. It's as if Hollywood hasn't figured out that not every black person in America smokes pot and listens to rap music, and talks with a stupid accent.

Television figured it out a long time ago, and now you get the entire opposite side of the extreme there. Every black man on TV is a good, faithful father who is loyal to his white wife and patient with his goofy, stupid white underlings at work and his stupid white friends in the neighborhood. He wears a suit, is well-manicured, drives a luxury SUV or sedan, and speaks perfect English. In short, he is the stereotypical white man from the 50's (except smarter and wiser), while white men are now buffonish, clueless beta males, if not raging homosexuals.

Sorry for the tangent, but in short, I didn't see it because I don't like anything coming out of Hollywood (and very little on television) these days.

08-14-2018, 06:12 PM
I love a Warlord rant.

Mostly because I almost always agree.

Black
08-16-2018, 05:32 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2018 05:41 AM by ViperSniper.)
(08-14-2018 11:18 AM)Warlord Wrote:  I'm a huge Stallone fan, and love the Rocky series. I have no desire to see Stallone or Rocky play second fiddle to someone in what is essentially a Rocky movie.

Additionally, I've seen Rocky V. I don't need to see the black Tommy Gunn (who unlike the real Tommy will never turn evil because of Hollywood's "noble savage+magical negro" trope).

Finally, I don't like Michael B. Jordan. Never have. Hated him from first sight.

On a side-note, I am also tired of the whole stereotypical urbanization of blacks on film. Not every character has to be some noble savage from the hood making good. Not every "black movie" needs a hip hop soundtrack to accompany it. It's as if Hollywood hasn't figured out that not every black person in America smokes pot and listens to rap music, and talks with a stupid accent.

Television figured it out a long time ago, and now you get the entire opposite side of the extreme there. Every black man on TV is a good, faithful father who is loyal to his white wife and patient with his goofy, stupid white underlings at work and his stupid white friends in the neighborhood. He wears a suit, is well-manicured, drives a luxury SUV or sedan, and speaks perfect English. In short, he is the stereotypical white man from the 50's (except smarter and wiser), while white men are now buffonish, clueless beta males, if not raging homosexuals.

Sorry for the tangent, but in short, I didn't see it because I don't like anything coming out of Hollywood (and very little on television) these days.

What a post! Well you obviously got more than enough reasons on why you have chosen not to see it and seem very strong about it! I guess you being a huge Stallone fan plays a factor.

Me personally, I like that he is a part of it and most likely wouldn't have bothered had he not been. I think they have put together the first Creed movie well with storylines & I guess Stallone being in it & the Rocky references throughout (that were not over the top) made it have that old feel to it, but with a new look!

Haha also..what is the biggest/worst example of a stereotypical urbanization of blacks on film? Funny thing is..as I read your description..the first character that comes to mind is actually from the early 90's which is Miles Dyson from T2. I think he was ahead of his time lol
08-16-2018, 06:09 AM
(08-16-2018 05:32 AM)ViperSniper Wrote:  Haha also..what is the biggest/worst example of a stereotypical urbanization of blacks on film? Funny thing is..as I read your description..the first character that comes to mind is actually from the early 90's which is Miles Dyson from T2. I think he was ahead of his time lol

The sassy black bitch in that horrible female remake of Ghostbusters.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
08-16-2018, 11:17 AM
(08-16-2018 05:32 AM)ViperSniper Wrote:  Haha also..what is the biggest/worst example of a stereotypical urbanization of blacks on film?

Ollie is bang on with that fat, black, loud cunt from the new (so-called) Ghostbusters movie. That is the perfect example of what Hollywood actually thinks about black people, and black women in particular. Loud, obnoxious, uncultured, uncivilized, mouthy, and proud to be so. It's disgusting.

Quote:Funny thing is..as I read your description..the first character that comes to mind is actually from the early 90's which is Miles Dyson from T2. I think he was ahead of his time lol

Actually, I think Dyson is the perfect example of how all black characters should be written. You could have substituted in a white guy to that role and not one scene or piece of dialogue would need to be rewritten. There was no (apparent) agenda to casting Joe Morton as Miles Dyson except that he is a good actor and obviously suited to that role.

Dyson doesn't fall into the noble savage category because he is fully integrated into society, and in fact is in many ways a progenitor of the "evil" technology that inevitably destroys mankind. He is given a full breadth of character (flaws included) with a redemptive arc in the story at the end. Typical Joseph Campbell stuff right there, with no connection to race.

He's not a magical negro because he doesn't have any special insights into humanity that John, Sarah, or the Terminator are lacking. In fact, it is they who bring insight to Dyson, who has no clue the havoc his ideas will wreak. Dyson in no way serves to assuage white guilt in Terminator 2, which is another defining characteristic of the magical negro.

I know that was a bit of overkill on my part to the Dyson joke, but I actually think that is a good (and rare) example of Hollywood getting race right. Which is, in short, when they don't make it about race at all. There's no agenda, and no dealing in stereotypes or other tropes. It's just characters, motivations, actions, and consequences.

*For television, Netflix's Stranger Things (Season 1) and Youtube's Cobra Kai are other good examples of race (and gender) done (mostly) right.

08-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Luke Cage....

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
08-16-2018, 03:21 PM
(08-16-2018 12:43 PM)TheTeddyBear Wrote:  Luke Cage....

Never seen it, so I really couldn't comment on it. Is it any good?

I'm not a huge Marvel fan, to be honest. I was always a DC man.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)