Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Creed II
08-16-2018, 11:33 PM
RE: Creed II
They way they portray black people in it... it's different. I like it but they have a strong black woman detective who on all fronts could be a great professional role model but everything she says is "nigga this or night that"

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-18-2018, 11:24 PM
I watched the first Creed with no expectations, but I thought they did a really good job with it and I really enjoyed it, and will definitely watch the 2nd one based on that. Nothing great about the 1st, but it was enjoyable.

Warlord - I read your whole stereotypical urbanization of blacks on film, and while I most agree....This one is a boxing movie, and while deliberate or not, that stereotype is totally justified for a boxing film lol
08-19-2018, 12:52 AM (This post was last modified: 08-19-2018 12:53 AM by ViperSniper.)
I'll go as far as to say that Creed has one of the best acting and most realistic fight scenes of all films associated with Rocky!
Sure it had a different look & approach but the storyline of Rocky in a trainers role for Apollo Creed's son is more appropriate than Rocky coming out of a long retirement to fight Mason Dixon in Balboa..

I know Warlord that you won't give them a chance but would sure as hell like to see what your actual review of Creed would be if you did decide to ever give them a go, based on your already strong opinions on them!
08-19-2018, 12:56 PM
I've only watched half of Creed.

Got bored with the dull storyline and lack of charisma in the main character.

Although I will say the single shot fight scene was pretty spectacular.

Black
08-19-2018, 01:47 PM
(08-18-2018 11:24 PM)Fitz Wrote:  I watched the first Creed with no expectations, but I thought they did a really good job with it and I really enjoyed it, and will definitely watch the 2nd one based on that. Nothing great about the 1st, but it was enjoyable.

Warlord - I read your whole stereotypical urbanization of blacks on film, and while I most agree....This one is a boxing movie, and while deliberate or not, that stereotype is totally justified for a boxing film lol

Maybe, but that doesn't make it any more appealing. It would've been better if they'd taken him the Julio Caesar Chavez Jr route. A spoiled little shit eating cereal in his underwear while his world-class trainer gives him advice he'll never listen to. A ne'er-do-well womanizer with a bad attitude and dynamite in his fists who only slowly starts to learn what is truly important in life through a chance meeting and burgeoning relationship with a broken-down old prizefighter in Rocky Balboa.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
08-19-2018, 01:50 PM
(08-14-2018 06:12 PM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  I love a Warlord rant.

Mostly because I almost always agree.

Black

+1000 to this. Warlord rants are the best. Always have been. He has an open spot for audio commentary pieces on my podcast any day, any time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-19-2018, 10:34 PM
(08-19-2018 01:47 PM)Warlord Wrote:  Maybe, but that doesn't make it any more appealing. It would've been better if they'd taken him the Julio Caesar Chavez Jr route. A spoiled little shit eating cereal in his underwear while his world-class trainer gives him advice he'll never listen to. A ne'er-do-well womanizer with a bad attitude and dynamite in his fists who only slowly starts to learn what is truly important in life through a chance meeting and burgeoning relationship with a broken-down old prizefighter in Rocky Balboa.

Agreed, how EPIC would it have been had they 'borrowed' the image of Junior sitting in his underpants eating Captain Crunch and doing some light shadow bowing in between blunts? If you're going the spoiled brat route they had the perfect example with Chavez Jr, they missed an opportunity for sure. In fact if they do a third Creed they should use Junior as the bad guy. I get the feeling he would take to movies like a duck to water, probably because he wouldn't be able to tell it wasn't real.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
03-21-2019, 06:52 PM
OK so I actually got around to watching Creed 2 and really really enjoyed it! There is a moment early on in the film where Ivan Drago is in America with his son Viktor as they are set to challenge Adonis Creed for his title. Rocky is unaware of this and he turns up at his restaurant to be told that someone is waiting there for him, you can see the back of Drago's neck as Rocky approaches him, being that it is a re-connection of a story arc dating back 30 odd years the hair on the back of my neck stood up a little as they came face to face again after so many years.

As usual there are criticisms. Creed is supposedly the HW champion of the world now, he looks like a LHW at best FFS. And Rocky and Adnois definitely lack the chemistry that Rocky and Apollo had.

There is also the ridiculous training camp where they disappear into the fucken desert to get ready. Yeah there is lots of nice imagery as Adonis pounds sand and spars with a fire yet seriously they could've produced just as much good imagery if they'd staged it at Big Bear.

It's also little things as a boxing fan that annoy, me such as Adonis not having a manager and just taking fights as they come along, shit like that. Seriously it wouldn't take much of a tweak in the story-line to get that stuff right. Sloppy stuff from a true boxing aficionado like Stallone.

Now onto the good stuff. the way they use the likes of Kellerman to add authenticity is always good and the fight scenes are fairly decent. The story arc aside from the criticism I have is fairly decent and the story is well paced.

The real jewel in the crown of this movie is the Viktor/Ivan Drago relationship. Dolph Lundgren is magnificent in this film. I'd forgotten just what a smart guy Dolph is in real life and he really shows what he can deliver as an actor if you give him a meaty role. In the movie Drago's wife (Brigitte makes a brief series of cameos) has left him and he has been shunned by the Russian elite who cheered him in the first movie. He carries a world weary rage and cynicism with him and in son Viktor he has an opportunity to win it all back. In his son he has also transferred that anger and whoever it is that plays Viktor does a great job of carrying that without turning into a cheesy Hollywood villain. They have a great chemistry and honestly I'd be interested in seeing a spin off of those two characters or at the very least a reappearance in Creed 3.

I'd recommend the movie based on these two characters alone.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
03-21-2019, 07:39 PM
Agreed with that ollie. I watched it a few weeks back and enjoyed it, though I think I preferred the first one more.
03-22-2019, 04:46 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2019 04:55 AM by ViperSniper.)
I still need to watch!

Also..anyone seen any of "Viktor" Drago's fights?? He is a real life pro boxer!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)