Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Poll: Who wins on their best night?
Oscar De La Hoya
Manny Pacqiuao
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Prime De La Hoya-Pacqiuao 130-154
08-29-2018, 09:53 AM
Prime De La Hoya-Pacqiuao 130-154
So we all know how it turned out when they did face eachother and know how far removed De La Hoya was from his best fighting days.

How would the fight have unfolded had they fought at Welterweight on both their best night instead?

How about fights at 130, 135, 140 & 154? Do those fights look any different?

I feel De La Hoya would naturally be too big for Pacquiao at all weights and although he'd still get in a fight, I feel De La Hoya's jab & hook would start to find the mark and that's when you'd see Manny get backed up and possibly stopped late at 140/147-154 but maybe make a come back at the lighter weights in close fights.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2018, 12:56 PM
RE: Prime De La Hoya-Pacqiuao 130-154
At his best, Gay La Hoya wins at any weight class you listed. He controls Pac with the jab, and brutalizes him with the left hook. It wouldn't even be close, in my opinion.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
08-29-2018, 02:17 PM
I dunno, I think Manny has a chance at 130 and 135. De La Hoya wasn't the finished article and had defensive flaws. I think Pac may have swarmed him a bit. Its close at thode weights, but 140 up DLH bosses him.

Black
09-11-2018, 07:17 PM
Oscar at 135 vs Ruelas was about as unbeatable as Oscar ever got. It's where he was just too big and too sturdy and too powerful for the weight class. I saw an interview with him talking about how in order to make weight he'd eat a single orange in a day.

Oscar's high water mark was the Quartey fight and obviously 147 was his natural weight class. If I wasn't so sure that Pac was on roids I'd give Pac the nod at 147 all day because Pac really was the baddest man on the planet if he was clean when he beat Marg, Clottey, Cotto and DLH - but of course he wasn't. So I'd still give 147 to DLH.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8dGyHltDzk
09-11-2018, 07:33 PM
Prime DLH. It'd be a good fight for maybe 5 rounds then DLH would be teeing off on him
09-12-2018, 06:28 AM
I dont have a huge problem with the opiniom that Pac was juiced.

However, I do have to question the apparent assertion that he was somehow unique in doing so.

If Pac was juicing, I think its more likely than not, that a vast % of his opponents were too. Find it odd this campaign against Pac when there is likely as much if not more anecdotal evidence against plenty others, amd against top level sportsmen in general.
09-12-2018, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2018 08:08 AM by salvador.)
I don't think Pac's steroid use was remotely unique in boxing except for the fact that the results (Hulk-like body and more speed and dominance at 147 than he had at 126) were so much more flagrant.

Just like in baseball - I'm sure there were tons of players juicing but for some reason Barry Bonds physical changes were more flagrant and suddenly every time he swung a bat he'd hit a home run.

Maybe Bonds and Pac were just better juicers than everyone else.

DLH never looked like a juicer to me.

And as it pertains to the thread, Oscar was a huge lightweight who I believe would have had an easy time with a 135 pound Pac. Whereas Pac was a regular sized featherweight who I believe would have dominated a prime DLH at 147 at the time Pac that had that run through Marg, Clottey, Cotto, and DLH.
09-12-2018, 08:05 PM
The only way you can be a good juicer is by avoiding detection. You can peak for competition but the shit isnt rocket science. Some fighters have been on gear and looked like shit. PEDs aren't magic.

Pac is a small guy. A 5'5 150 pound dude isn't a hulk. He's the size of a woman. I think he caught dudes at the right time and drained fighters but that happens a lot in boxing. He's a good fighter before 147 and put on some good fighters after he moved up. He never went from Malignaggi to prime Tyson like some suggest though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Don King vs Dana White (prime vs prime) and the NEW 2 1,343 12-18-2017 06:17 PM
Last Post: the ollie reed fan club
  Prime Gamboa vs Prime Guzman @ 130 Fitz 6 4,408 06-13-2013 06:11 AM
Last Post: ViperSniper

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)