Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

HBO drops Boxing
09-27-2018, 01:10 PM
HBO drops Boxing
With Showtime piccing up the majority of the Talent, Top Rank going to ESPN and new streaming services like DAZN, we all knew this would be coming eventually.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2018, 01:20 PM
RE: HBO drops Boxing
It's sad...but it's not at the same time.

US boxing needs a kick up the backside and a change...this may be confirmation it's happening.

On another note, boxing on UK television is the best it's ever been. Every week there's pretty much a full card of fights to watch on one of the channels. It's brilliant.

Black
Find all posts by this user
09-27-2018, 02:43 PM
Game of Thrones drives their subs...not boxing.
09-27-2018, 03:19 PM
(09-27-2018 02:43 PM)JD Wrote:  Game of Thrones drives their subs...not boxing.

Not for long.

One more season, then what?

Let's see what they have up their sleeves next.
09-27-2018, 03:36 PM
They have a sister series of Game of Thrones being written, it will be out a year or so later and cover many years earlier.

That said, my point was really about the content they use to drive subs - and it is series based, not really boxing...hasn't been boxing for a little while now unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I am completely bummed, but not the least bit surprised - not with what their boxing budget became. Those GoT episodes are expensive to make.
09-27-2018, 04:33 PM
This has been a long time coming. I just want to thank Al Haymon
09-27-2018, 04:58 PM
I feel really sad to hear this, so many great memories I have watching boxing throughout the years come from HBO fights.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
09-27-2018, 05:07 PM
I'm happy with what JD said and they put priorities in Game of Thrones and TV shows.
Fighters are shit now days and good fights are rarely made. May as well put there effort somewhere else.
09-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Boxing has really fell off, Fitz. Never thought I'd say it but i might start watching mma.
09-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Here's the real question:

Who decides to go get Jim Lampley?

Seriously.

Sadly, we're going to have to get subjected to Kellerman no matter what because you just know that ESPN will stick him on their cards somehow. But Lampley is a valuable commodity that people actually enjoy and admire, for the most part. Does Showtime make their move, replace Ranallo with Lampley and/or bump Mauro to ShoBox?

No way Lampley walks into the sunset. Showtime could make the move of the century and secure Jim AND his Fight Game program.

Just please, Lord, let them leave Kellerman on the sidelines.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)