Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

2011 In Review
12-23-2011, 11:09 AM
2011 In Review
The Summer of Feces Sandwiches ruined what should have been one of the greatest years ever in broadcast boxing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2011, 11:48 AM
2011 In Review
It was an overall average year of boxing unfortunately due to significantly bad officiating with refs and judges in particular fights, farces, controversy, robbery and fights ending early!

With many decent fights and also surprises, there was far too many bad & underwhelming fights. From Bradley-Alexander to fail to excite and end prematurely, Williams-Lara robbery, Khan-Judah, Mares-Agbeko I corruption, the Pac-Mosley farce, Mayweather-Ortiz drama, Hopkins-Dawson, Marquez-Pac III robbery. All of THAT crammed in one year of boxing!!

Kennedy-Diaz was the fight that did it for me in 2011. Rios-Ascota, Kirkland-Angulo (Round 1 not only being round of the year but also one of my all time favourites!), Arce-Vasquez Jr., Ortiz-Berto & Rodriguez-Wolak also had to be up there with the best fights this year.

Personal highlights was Darchiniyan-Perez, Morales spirited performance against Maidana, Donaire & Martinez in action again, Marquez making Pacquaio look ordinary for everyone to see..again & last but not least Cotto getting revenge by beating on Margarito!
12-24-2011, 12:20 AM
2011 In Review
ViperSniper Wrote:It was an overall average year of boxing unfortunately due to significantly bad officiating with refs and judges in particular fights, farces, controversy, robbery and fights ending early!

With many decent fights and also surprises, there was far too many bad & underwhelming fights. From Bradley-Alexander to fail to excite and end prematurely, Williams-Lara robbery, Khan-Judah, Mares-Agbeko I corruption, the Pac-Mosley farce, Mayweather-Ortiz drama, Hopkins-Dawson, Marquez-Pac III robbery. All of THAT crammed in one year of boxing!!

Kennedy-Diaz was the fight that did it for me in 2011. Rios-Ascota, Kirkland-Angulo (Round 1 not only being round of the year but also one of my all time favourites!), Arce-Vasquez Jr., Ortiz-Berto & Rodriguez-Wolak also had to be up there with the best fights this year.

Personal highlights was Darchiniyan-Perez, Morales spirited performance against Maidana, Donaire & Martinez in action again, Marquez making Pacquaio look ordinary for everyone to see..again & last but not least Cotto getting revenge by beating on Margarito!
Good breakdown of the year. Reading it made me realize that there was a lot of good, even with the Summer of Feces that Smarty likes to talk about.

The fight that will stick out for me whenever I think back to 2011 will be the Bradley-Alexander fight. It was a fight that made sense, a fight that everyone wanted to see between to guys in their prime, and yet it stunk out the joint. I don't blame the fighters though. It's weird to say that, since often it is up to them whether they make the fight fun for the audience or not, but for those who had seen these two guys fight before, you just knew that it wasn't going to be Hagler-Hearns. The two guys marred their reputation in the eyes of many fans, Alexander showed that he lacked The Grit, and fans realized that sometimes, just because a fight makes sense it doesn't mean that it will be fun. I for one was glad that it happened, because fun or no fun, the best have to fight the best.
12-24-2011, 01:08 AM
2011 In Review
To be Honest, I thought this was a pretty good year for boxing...

The Legends:Anytime Morales steps in the ring, you know it's going to be a good night. Watching Morales take everything Maidana had and then some was beautiful. We witnessed a piece of Boxing history that will probably never happen again when we watched Hopkins take the young buck to school and drop him off without lunch money.

Pleasure:
I had the pleasure of watching Sam Peter get knocked silly by Robert Helenius. For that reason alone, I will always have a soft spot for Robert. We also had the pleasure of watching Danny Green get smacked around by Tarver. I watched that fight at least 5 times. Oh and how can I forget the Upset of the Year when Lamont Peterson putting on bodyshot clinic against Amir Khan.

The Superstars
I know many will not agree but respect should be shown to both Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. Even though the two did not meet up in the ring, they both took on respectable opponents this year. Pacquiao took on the very dangerous JMM while Floyd Mayweather took on Victor Ortiz. Say what you want about Mayweather-Ortiz but it was a fight that Mayweather fought against someone who was Bigger than him and coming off a career best victory over Berto. I personally thought Ortiz had the tools to trouble Mayweather for a bit but Mayweather brought the fight to Ortiz and made him fold under pressure. Pacquiao hasn't been to excited about giving Marquez a third fight and you saw why. I thought Marquez clearly won the fight but I have no interest in watching a fourth fight. With Mayweather "Gone Til' November" I would like to see Bradley or even Peterson get a shot at Pacquiao.

The Fights
Doanire Vs Montiel, Alexander VS Bradley, Haye Vs Klitschko, and Ward-Froch were fights that Hardcore fans wanted bad. Although most of these fights did not live up to the hype, the fighters were able to get the fights made to prove who the king of their division truly were.

Disappointments
Williams-Lara was the worst decision I have ever seen in my life. Giving PWill 5 rounds was total bullshit but saying he won the fight was criminal. Sergio Martinez pissed me off a bit towards the end of the year. I know it's not completely his fault but I'm getting tired of him jumping on BoxingScene calling out fighters 2 weight classes lower than him. Martinez is a pound for pound fighter... If the best at middleweight won't fight him then he needs to jump up to 168 and fight those guys. Fighting mandatories and calling out the likes of Chavez won't keep him high on my list. I'm hoping for a better year out of Martinez but his TBA this spring looks like it'll be another mandatory.

The Arrival
I believe Andre Ward will be an All Time great before it's all said and done. He dominated the best of the best in the 168lb division. That's what great fighters are suppose to do. I look forward to watching him fight in 2012. A win over Bute would be the icing on the cake. GARY RUSSELL JR. remember the name. Future pound for pound player should make a lot of noise in 2012, This kid will be special. As much as I don't like the guy, Broner also made some nosie this year.

2011 wasn't terrible at all. I'm looking forward to an explosive 2012.

Here's to a great 2012 in boxing Drinks
12-24-2011, 01:06 PM
2011 In Review
damarvelous1 Wrote:To be Honest, I thought this was a pretty good year for boxing...

The Legends:Anytime Morales steps in the ring, you know it's going to be a good night. Watching Morales take everything Maidana had and then some was beautiful. We witnessed a piece of Boxing history that will probably never happen again when we watched Hopkins take the young buck to school and drop him off without lunch money.

Pleasure:
I had the pleasure of watching Sam Peter get knocked silly by Robert Helenius. For that reason alone, I will always have a soft spot for Robert. We also had the pleasure of watching Danny Green get smacked around by Tarver. I watched that fight at least 5 times. Oh and how can I forget the Upset of the Year when Lamont Peterson putting on bodyshot clinic against Amir Khan.

The Superstars
I know many will not agree but respect should be shown to both Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao. Even though the two did not meet up in the ring, they both took on respectable opponents this year. Pacquiao took on the very dangerous JMM while Floyd Mayweather took on Victor Ortiz. Say what you want about Mayweather-Ortiz but it was a fight that Mayweather fought against someone who was Bigger than him and coming off a career best victory over Berto. I personally thought Ortiz had the tools to trouble Mayweather for a bit but Mayweather brought the fight to Ortiz and made him fold under pressure. Pacquiao hasn't been to excited about giving Marquez a third fight and you saw why. I thought Marquez clearly won the fight but I have no interest in watching a fourth fight. With Mayweather "Gone Til' November" I would like to see Bradley or even Peterson get a shot at Pacquiao.

The Fights
Doanire Vs Montiel, Alexander VS Bradley, Haye Vs Klitschko, and Ward-Froch were fights that Hardcore fans wanted bad. Although most of these fights did not live up to the hype, the fighters were able to get the fights made to prove who the king of their division truly were.

Disappointments
Williams-Lara was the worst decision I have ever seen in my life. Giving PWill 5 rounds was total bullshit but saying he won the fight was criminal. Sergio Martinez pissed me off a bit towards the end of the year. I know it's not completely his fault but I'm getting tired of him jumping on BoxingScene calling out fighters 2 weight classes lower than him. Martinez is a pound for pound fighter... If the best at middleweight won't fight him then he needs to jump up to 168 and fight those guys. Fighting mandatories and calling out the likes of Chavez won't keep him high on my list. I'm hoping for a better year out of Martinez but his TBA this spring looks like it'll be another mandatory.

The Arrival
I believe Andre Ward will be an All Time great before it's all said and done. He dominated the best of the best in the 168lb division. That's what great fighters are suppose to do. I look forward to watching him fight in 2012. A win over Bute would be the icing on the cake. GARY RUSSELL JR. remember the name. Future pound for pound player should make a lot of noise in 2012, This kid will be special. As much as I don't like the guy, Broner also made some nosie this year.

Nice breakdown, there was good and bad this year, it seemed that the bad out weight the good but it didn't. I just loved this one here!
http://www.badlefthook.com/2011/12/24/26...hbo-boxing
12-24-2011, 03:35 PM
2011 In Review
damarvelous1 Wrote:To be Honest, I thought this was a pretty good year for boxing...

Pleasure:

The Superstars

The Fights

Disappointments

The Arrival

Way to sum it up, D-Marv.
12-24-2011, 05:45 PM
2011 In Review
Nice work D Marv and Viper too.

For me boxing didn't do it this year. Of course there were some great fights and great performances. There always are. But there was too much shitty stuff as well that ruined it.

Here's to a better 2012.

Black
12-26-2011, 06:23 PM
2011 In Review

Pleasure:

The Superstars

The Fights

Disappointments

The Arrival

Great job, DMarv. There were plenty of good fights this year. Unfortunately, this is the year that the boxing industry went cavalierly public with its corruption. What happened repeatedly this year is unforgivable.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)