Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Lloyd Mayflowers Fight Thread
02-16-2019, 09:25 PM
RE: Lloyd Mayflowers Fight Thread
Vitas Gerulaitis was a famous tennis player in the 1970s who was a top 5 player who never got past Borg or Connors or McEnroe. He was famous for his long hair and flamboyant lifestyle at Studio 54 in New York. He lost 16 straight matches to Jimmy Connors and then won one. In the post match interview he said:

"Nobody beats Vitas Gerulaitis 17 times in a row!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2019, 06:03 AM
First sparring session lastnight. Not my first ever but first one with organised with the people running the event.

Hard to gauge opponents etc. Not sparring in a ring loads of pairs sparring on mat so getting distracted banging into others and not a lot of space to work in. That said, no one I sparred against gave the fear about fighting them. Early days and light sparring but even the guys who appear to have half decent technique etc werent getting to me much. Quite pleased to see that I can more than hold my own, given that since most of what I know is essentially self taught I have no real gauge of where I am.
03-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Cool, go for the KO.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Forgot to mention, one guy decided to set himself up in a Floyd-esque, walk in behind the shoulder style. I was honestly confused about what to do as he left himself so horrendously open that I couldnt miss him. I even pulled back a couple of right hands to try and let him know he was too open. That didnt work so I just starting throwing right hands into his totally unprotected stomach.

I assume everyone will get better, but even for a charity event, this lad is a guaranteed Highlight reel KO for someone.
03-07-2019, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2019 05:29 PM by blackbelt2003.)
:-D

Brother, if you so happen to be in the Midlands any time.in the next few weeks come and do some rounds with me!

Black
03-07-2019, 05:55 PM
I would love to Black. Not a part of the world I frequent unfortunately but a BU lesson from a man of your calibre would be superb, even if I did get lit up!
03-09-2019, 01:55 PM
I always spar to the level of my training buddy to make them work on stuff they need. With my white collar lads I always go forward, straight up, and let them practice the basics on me :-)

Black
03-09-2019, 02:39 PM
I sparred a round witg one of the coaches lastnight. He was a big unit. Kept switching stances with his lead hand low and just kept a constant long lazy jab in my face. I say lazy, but it was heavy too. Came up a long way so I knew it was coming but it was like I was attracted to it!!!

The sparring has been good so far although I would like it to be a touch heavier. Really unsure how hard to go to be honest.
03-09-2019, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2019 08:06 PM by blackbelt2003.)
It's good to do a mix of fast and light rounds for distance and timing and a few heavy.rounds to learn to dig deep and throw power shots.

Too many of the latter and unless you're getting the better of them you learn to survive instead of win.

Black
03-11-2019, 04:24 PM
Find an experienced guy(make sure he's cool though) and try to take his head off. It won't be a big worry to him and he'll help you correct what you're doing wrong in the closest possible fight mindset you can get. You need to see what you're doing when you are running full tilt. It's how I always liked to spar my newbies. Let em run 100% and just keep em honest best way to learn also helps when you want to back it down gotta have a full sense of how hard you can actually go before going start telling guys, hey let's run 50% etc....

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)