Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Canelo - Jacobs May 4th
01-21-2019, 08:30 AM
RE: Canelo - Jacobs May 4th
Imperius... Cant quote you but if someone can make the weight without cheating and still be able to perform to the standard they need then they have satisied all requirements of the current weight division system.

You could counter that if someone cant handle a rehydrated middleweight then they need to drop down a division.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2019, 10:21 AM
I agree with Lloyd

If someone satisfies the rules of the sport and makes weight and then rehydrates and gains 20 pounds then they should be allowed to fight - as long as they aren't testing positive for a banned substance like clenbuterol.

If rehydration is a problem, then CHANGE THE RULES and make the weigh ins on the day of the fight - which is what they obviously should do as it would eliminate this issue.

From what I understand they changed the weigh ins to the day before because too many guys were losing weight to make weight and it was dangerous for them to be in the ring dehydrated.

God knows Clanelo was rehydrating like crazy after his weigh ins and was always huge for his division.

This is nothing more than Clanelo using the fact that he is the star here to get an unfair advantage.
01-21-2019, 09:53 PM
I'm a big proponent of same day weigh-ins. Too many fighters take advantage of the current system. I respect your opinions, but my personal opinion is that it's not fair for a fighter to come into the ring 20-lbs or more over the limit.
01-21-2019, 11:14 PM
I think the ill will toward Canelo here is that the penalties are for anything more than 170...when Canelo fought at 47, 54 or his own made up weight up 55, he would frequently come in more than 10 pounds over...he was something like 20 pounds heavier on fight night when he fought Trout and Angulo.

If you recall, when ESPN Deportes asked him about his weight gain, this was his answer and is an exact quote...

“I climb into the ring at whatever weight that’s going to give me the win, whether it’s 180 or 190 pounds-if I think it’s the appropriate (weight) for me on the day of the fight.”

THAT is why Canelo is a twat.
01-22-2019, 12:00 AM
While same-day weigh ins sound like a solution for the rehydration issue, it just creates a dehydration issue. Now you've got your same 180 or maybe 175 pound dude if this is the rule trying to hit 160 on the day of the fight. I would forsee more dead men walking in the right come fight time as a result and perhaps more blow induced injuries and damage as a result.
01-22-2019, 01:57 AM
(01-22-2019 12:00 AM)BrutalBodyShots Wrote:  While same-day weigh ins sound like a solution for the rehydration issue, it just creates a dehydration issue. Now you've got your same 180 or maybe 175 pound dude if this is the rule trying to hit 160 on the day of the fight. I would forsee more dead men walking in the right come fight time as a result and perhaps more blow induced injuries and damage as a result.

Maybe initially you may see dead men walking with same day weigh ins. But after some early examples are made of fools who dehydrate too much (similar to DLH with Pac) and we see some eye opening results of fighters who tried to lose too much weight.
Surely there will be a shift across the board where all fighters are at a more natural weight division.
They aren't going to continue making same dehydrating mistakes after some early examples are made of the ones who try.
01-22-2019, 09:06 AM
I assume that the big fear within the boxing decision making circles regarding to same day weigh ins isn't about the guys at the top of the sport but rather for the marginal guys making $500 a fight.

A guy who is a dish washer who hasn't fought in a year who gets called in last minute to fill in on an undercard in a local show in Baltimore is at risk of needing the money so badly that he doesn't eat for a week to make weight for tiny money is most at risk.
01-22-2019, 10:14 AM
How many hours prior to a bout did same day weigh ins happen? Maybe a midnight weigh in or early mornings would be a difference..leaving the fighter less time to rehydrate, apposed to having the night prior..
Who have been some of the worst offenders in boxing to come in well above weight? Gatti, Corrales, Donaire, Chavez Jr?
01-22-2019, 10:27 AM
Out of 32 pro fights 31 of mine were same day weigh ins. I worked half a day at work before a fight a dozen times or so.

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
01-22-2019, 10:30 AM
(01-22-2019 10:27 AM)TheTeddyBear Wrote:  Out of 32 pro fights 31 of mine were same day weigh ins. I worked half a day at work before a fight a dozen times or so.

Is that because you were a hw or because that's the way it is for all smaller venue types of fights?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)