Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Ditched cable, options for local/major channels?
01-23-2019, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-2019 09:48 AM by BrutalBodyShots.)
Ditched cable, options for local/major channels?
I finally got rid of Fios cable after about 10 years of having it and not turning my TV on any more than a couple of hours a week. Saving $145/mo will be nice. I'm just rolling with Netflix and Amazon Prime now, which is more than adequate to find something to watch maybe once or twice a week for myself or my 6 year old.

My question for those that have given cable the boot, what options are out there for local channels/major network channels? I'm assuming streaming of some sort. What I'm referring to are things like watching the Super Bowl or other sporting event for example. I'm sure others have run into this issue and I'm curious how it was overcome.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2019, 11:51 AM
RE: Ditched cable, options for local/major channels?
Trade Netflix for Hulu. Other than Stranger Things, there ain’t shit worth watching. Hulu has tons of TV shows in HD, from Modern Family and the Goldbergs to classics like Seinfeld, Perfect Strangers, Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, etc...

Plenty of cartoons and kids shows too.

As for live TV, get an Amazon Firestick or Firebox, plus an HD antenna. Your Amazon Fire will be able to detect those live channels and add them to a guide.

You can also download apps from different networks like ABC and TBS, which will generally upload recent episodes from their series which you can watch at your leisure. They also have classic series in their entirety for you to watch, like Knight Rider, Miami Vice, the Incredible Hulk, etc...

Finally, Pluto TV is another great app I’d recommend. They have lots of live channels, with some really cool stations that run Unsolved Mysteries and Forensic Files 24 hours a day.

TL;DR = Amazon Fire + HD Antenna. Hulu or Netflix. Apps = network apps + Pluto, Crackle, Popcornflix, etc...

The upfront cost for this would be between $60-$100 for the Amazon Fire and HD antenna, but once that is done, your monthly cost will be $7.99 with Hulu, or $13 with Netflix.

And that’s doing it all legal. If you put Kodi on your Amazon Fire, you can bypass Hulu and Netflix and get anything you want for free, including PPV. The downside is that the streams you want for something could go down at any time. I don’t fuck with it for that reason alone.

P.S. You should all have a Vudu account too. If you’re still buying physical media like me, many of your movies and TV shows should have digital codes. Redeem them, and you can access them through Vudu anytime.

If you have a smart TV (and if not, why the fuck not?), Vudu is usually preinstalled anyway. So you get those movies and shows which you’ve already paid for, plus they always have tons of free movies and shows to choose from (just like Pluto and Popcornflix.)

I honestly don’t know why anyone still pays for cable. It’s a fucking ripoff of epic proportions.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
01-24-2019, 09:40 AM
Man War have you not watched any of the MCU series on Netflix? Great effing TV especially the newest season of punisher. I watch a tad too much TV but there are so many great shows on Netflix. Other than that everything you said is spot on.

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
01-24-2019, 01:51 PM
Narcos is an outstanding part of the netflix catalogue. Have enjoyed every season.

Currently watcjing Sunny in Philly at every opportunity
01-25-2019, 12:56 PM
I watch at least one episode of Sunny a day to keep me sane.

Black
01-25-2019, 05:56 PM
Netflix has added a bunch of good original content...

I also use Popcorntime(APK) and ShowBox to download movies...

Certain streaming sites like firstrowsports or strikeout.mobi I use to watch cable stuff like ESPN.

I also have a DC universe membership cuz I'm a comic book nerd. They have all the movies(classics, live action and animated) all the Animated Cartoon series like JL, Batman, Superman, Static Shocc and BM beyond.. an archive of all the comics and all kinds of new and old shows.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Tonight on your local news....Booobs!! BGv4.0 12 14,686 03-24-2015 02:35 PM
Last Post: boxingcritic

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)