Hopkins
Calzaghe
Dawson
Stevenson
Ward
Kovalev
Alvarez
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Fantasy Light Heavyweight tournament
02-07-2019, 07:01 PM
RE: Fantasy Light Heavyweight tournament
I don't think Hops was anywhere near his best at 175.

Hops left his absolute best in the ring with Trinidad. That was his Magnum Opus.

I also think that Calzaghe was his stylistic nightmare and would probably pull off a win over him at any time at 175. If they fought in the opener of any tourney I think Slappy takes him.

But Slappy is not a tourney guy. He pulls off a big win and then needs recovery time or a patsy to look good against before a second straight big opponent.

Ward is Hops-lite. He may just be enough to beat old 175 Hops but it's close. He doesnt have quite enough on his resume as proof otherwise.

Kov is another guy who may be Hopkins' poison, but I wouldn't trust him in a tournament format for the same reason as Calzaghe. It's too likely he catches a bad one and gets eliminated by someone unexpected.

All in all, for me, the most likely winners will always be Ward or Hops, even if I wouldn't necessarily pick them in a straight fight against everyone on the list.

Black
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2019, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2019 09:58 PM by ViperSniper.)
These would have been some of the more interesting fights & many intriguing ones with Calzaghe as I feel his 2 fights at Light Heavyweight are deceiving (kind of like Ward's 2 "wins" over Kovalev, yet Ward's style and skills match up better to the rest, than Calzaghe's). Calzaghe is an interesting match up with close to all names.

Calzaghe-Stevenson
Calzaghe-Alvarez
Tarver-Calzaghe
Kovalev-Tarver
Dawson-Calzaghe
Hopkins-Ward
Alvarez-Stevenson
Tarver-Ward
Kovalev-Calazghe

I had trouble picking Dawson-Calzaghe, Calzaghe-Stevenson, Calzaghe-Alvarez & Stevenson-Alvarez..but if all guys fought eachother once, this is how I'd see the records being..

Winner) Kovalev (6-1)
2) Ward (5-2)
3a) Dawson (4-3)
3b) Hopkins (4-3)
5a) Tarver (3-4)
5b) Calzaghe (3-4)
6) Alvarez (2-5)
7) Stevenson (0-7)

(02-07-2019 07:01 PM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  I don't think Hops was anywhere near his best at 175.

Hops left his absolute best in the ring with Trinidad. That was his Magnum Opus.

I also think that Calzaghe was his stylistic nightmare and would probably pull off a win over him at any time at 175. If they fought in the opener of any tourney I think Slappy takes him.

But Slappy is not a tourney guy. He pulls off a big win and then needs recovery time or a patsy to look good against before a second straight big opponent.

Ward is Hops-lite. He may just be enough to beat old 175 Hops but it's close. He doesnt have quite enough on his resume as proof otherwise.

Kov is another guy who may be Hopkins' poison, but I wouldn't trust him in a tournament format for the same reason as Calzaghe. It's too likely he catches a bad one and gets eliminated by someone unexpected.

All in all, for me, the most likely winners will always be Ward or Hops, even if I wouldn't necessarily pick them in a straight fight against everyone on the list.

Black

Agreed with the bolded!! Joe matches up well against Hopkins, but not so much with the rest. I feel Alvarez & Stevenson may give hime trouble, Tarver, Kov & Ward beat him..
02-07-2019, 11:14 PM
Anyone think Hopkins at 168 would have been interesting as hell?

I know it's off-topic from this thread, but thinking back to the guys from that other tournament like Froch, Abraham, Kessler etc. I think there could have been some cool matchups for Hopkins there.
02-08-2019, 03:00 AM
I think Hopkins beats all of those fighters you listed at Super Middleweight!
02-08-2019, 05:40 AM
Had Hops moved up to 168 at some time before he lost his middleweight belt to Taylor he would have looked brilliant there.

His punch output would have been much improved (he was more sparing in work rate when draining himself down to 160), and he would have had a decent level of strength and height in comparison to how he was at 175.

But then again his legacy was based on just how dominant he was as a long reigning middleweight champ so I'm glad he did stay at 160 until he lost.

Black

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Mythical Heavyweight Tournament TheTeddyBear 7 4,905 01-06-2015 08:17 PM
Last Post: the ollie reed fan club
  Heavyweight Tournament TheTeddyBear 9 6,819 12-23-2014 12:41 AM
Last Post: the ollie reed fan club
  Who is the man at Light Heavyweight? ViperSniper 84 55,659 11-14-2014 08:17 PM
Last Post: Dickagon

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)