Poll: Who wins the rematch?
This poll is closed.
Alvarez by KO/TKO 75.00% 6 75.00%
Alvarez by decision 0% 0 0%
Kovalev by KO/TKO 12.50% 1 12.50%
Kovalev by decision 12.50% 1 12.50%
Total 8 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Alvarez-Kovalev II is set for Feb 2 in Texas!
02-03-2019, 02:57 AM
RE: Alvarez-Kovalev II is set for Feb 2 in Texas!
Kov schooled him! Nice job, champ!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2019, 04:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2019 05:05 AM by and the NEW.)
Haven't seen the fight yet, but I saw Lopez was on the undercard and got a scorching KO again (check out his last one against Mason Menard, I had that KO of the year for 2018). He is also with Top Rank so could get Loma next year, although I hope they get him a belt (perhaps Commey?) and let that fight simmer for a bit while he continues to improve and get looks at different styles.

Glad to hear Kov won, he is better than Alvarez and it will be good to see him in the mix with all these Eastern Euros, Gvozdyck, Bivol, and Beterbiev. They should have a 4 man tournament. It would be absolutely brutal.
02-03-2019, 04:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2019 09:57 PM by ViperSniper.)
So I resorted to a stream and was a prime example of why I was going on about my dislike for them in another recent thread..especially for a fight that you're looking forward to!

Got a stream up but was either getting covered by a shadowed banner or the screen being completely covered by a solid banner. So I missed big chunks of the fight!

From what I saw I was surprised! Even leading upto the fight, it was surprising to see how Kovalev was speaking and looking beforehand. Kov has said he can not finish his career a loser & that he will complete his goal of getting all 4 belts!
Kovalev seemed very focused & calm in the rematch considering how he was stopped in the last fight AND all his serious legal issues outside the ring. This is quite surprising and impressive ,especially the manner he was able adjust & win! This should throw him right back in the p4p top 10! I need to watch this proper and good but major props to Kovalev for proving many wrong, under these circumstances!

This also proves any critic wrong that suggested Kovalev may have never been that good a fighter to begin with or overrated. Kovalev in terms of his in ring ability is very underrated and isn't just a basic 1-2 power puncher or someone that just comes forward. Kov showed more emphasis on distance & keeping his opponent off beat like he did with Hopkins & showed more movement too in this fight than ever. Not to mention the bully showed he was able to keep his cool too & overcome big adversity. Kov appeared to get off to a good start and did a good job of maintaining his pace. Great, great performance & win by Kovalev!!

Full fight here before it gets taken down..

02-03-2019, 02:09 PM
Ok here is my thoughts from Last Night....

Commey looked good. Showed he has improved quite a bit despite the 2 losses, which both were close. He was alot of fun to watch.

Oscar Valdez is GOOD! It did seem at times that the Italian was able to easily outbox him at times. This worries me if he fights a slicc African American boxer. He needs to stay away from the Gary Russels and Tevin Farmers and go after guys who will constantly be in front of him. His other problem is he seemed VERY hittable and marked up rather easily.. this may hurt him down the line.

Teofimo Lopez was better then advertised. He BY FAR stole the show last night.. he was accurate, showed great footwork, he was EXTREMELY EFFICIENT. I mean the kid has it all Speed, Skill, Power. HE HAD BY FAR the loudest punches of the night. Louder then Kov and Alvarez, Louder then the Super MW, etc. He's the real deal and he was extremely fun to watch.

Kov vs Alvarez... well, one of the first times in my 25yrs in the sport being COMPLETELY WRONG. Kov did what he had to do and made it a boring fight. He fought smart and I dont think he was mentally broken like I originally thought. I still dont see him as the same fighter with the killer instinct, he might be content to just box at this stage of his career and not take risks like he would previously. I think he's realized he cant outgun guys at this level anymore.

All in all the event was great! We had a blast, I ran into EJ and chopped it up with him. Terrence Crawford was there as well and he got boo'd as soon as they interviewed him. Great production value, great seats and an overall great night of boxing. The entire card over produced other then the Main Event. But every other fight of the night was an amazing KO. Hoping they bring more good cards to TX.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-04-2019, 04:19 AM
Watched the fight properly last night and surprised and very impressed with Kovalev! Maybe one of the more surprising performances I've seen from a fighter, as I was NOT expecting Kovalev to win, let alone dominate to a near shutout either!!

I'm not sure how much credit to give to Kovalev or to Buddy McGirt (great choice in new trainer) because dare I say this is one of the best Kovalev performance to date. He boxed more than ever, yet did not hold back on his shots or when he threw them.

Kovalev should go to the body way more often because I had no idea how good his left hook to the body was. Such a great looking punch & he was showing decent hand speed at times & also surprised to see how well he was at playing counter-puncher!

Kovalev from the opening bell, did not show any hesitation. He had a game plan and went for it straight away and stuck with it. Kov got his mean streak back a tad, but was also a new fighter who was trying to knock Alvarez out, without looking for it either. Alvarez proved to have a hell of a chin & Kovalev also did a decent job of taking Alvarez's power here.

I thought it was a very decent fight!

Look forward to seeing what's next for Kov!!
02-04-2019, 04:51 AM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2019 02:17 AM by and the NEW.)
Thanks for the link Vip, I managed to catch it before it went down. Kov and Buddy seem like a good mix, I thought they would work well together. From the get go, Kov was throwing a lot more pitter patter punches, not putting much on his shots but then opening up at times. These shots let him control range, and no doubt, if you let Kov control range, you are meat. Kov's back also looked more muscular, it looked like he actually did some strength training for once.

But I still don't rate him against a guy who can either take his shot and outgun him (like a Beterbiev), or a cagey guy who can get inside and break him down (like a Ward). He has no inside game, and his body isn't built to absorb big shots.
02-04-2019, 06:45 AM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2019 06:46 AM by blackbelt2003.)
It was the result I expected (check my comments a couple pages ago), and, in a way, slightly enigmatic.

On one hand Kov showed discipline, fitness and concentration (things he has not usually been noted for), but on the other hand he looked less dynamic, less confident (until the final two rounds) and a touch more fragile.

I think from now on until his retirement, he will always be a solid shot away from a KO loss and a bad round away from capitulation.

Black

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)