Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

UFC 235
03-02-2019, 03:42 PM
UFC 235
Two reasons for making a thread...

Unusually, since I am on nightshift I will be watching this live, and am getting slowly back into UFC, but also to ask Warlord and anyone else to tell me a bit about Ben Askren. I know he is highly rated, but how good is he?

Seems a decent guy, talks well. Quite funny etc. Is he going to be a big star for UFC?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2019, 11:23 PM
RE: UFC 235
(03-02-2019 03:42 PM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  Two reasons for making a thread...

Unusually, since I am on nightshift I will be watching this live, and am getting slowly back into UFC, but also to ask Warlord and anyone else to tell me a bit about Ben Askren. I know he is highly rated, but how good is he?

Seems a decent guy, talks well. Quite funny etc. Is he going to be a big star for UFC?

Askren has some of the best wrestling in the division, but his striking is subpar. I don't know if he'll be a big star for the UFC. He's 34 and doesn't really have much time left.

We might see two upsets tonight, especially with Jones. This is historically the most dangerous type of fight in MMA. No one is picking Smith, but he's about Jones's size, has good power, and doesn't wilt under pressure. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Jon struggle or even get upset tonight.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
03-02-2019, 11:47 PM
(03-02-2019 11:23 PM)Warlord Wrote:  Askren has some of the best wrestling in the division, but his striking is subpar. I don't know if he'll be a big star for the UFC. He's 34 and doesn't really have much time left.

We might see two upsets tonight, especially with Jones. This is historically the most dangerous type of fight in MMA. No one is picking Smith, but he's about Jones's size, has good power, and doesn't wilt under pressure. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Jon struggle or even get upset tonight.

Surprise of the night so far might be the stupidity level of Garbrandt standing and trading like that.

Althought he prize for stupidity must surely go to Johnny Walker injuring himself in celebration
03-03-2019, 12:26 AM
Askren/Lawler was exciting while it lasted. I might have woke my wife up screaming after that slam.

Shit stoppage in hindsight, but it sure did look like Robbie was out.

03-03-2019, 12:30 AM
(03-03-2019 12:26 AM)Warlord Wrote:  Askren/Lawler was exciting while it lasted. I might have woke my wife up screaming after that slam.

Shit stoppage in hindsight, but it sure did look like Robbie was out.

Yeah he got away with one after being in real trouble, but the way his arm was, it really looked like he was gone.
03-03-2019, 01:13 AM
Told you there was going to be two upsets tonight, boys. First one has come to fruition. Now let's see if the second one does.

03-03-2019, 01:36 AM
Updates for the main would be good!!..
03-03-2019, 02:11 AM
Sorry, just saw your post. There was nothing to see. Smith shit the bed. 5 round UD loss. Jones hit him with an illegal kick in the 4th, and was very close to being DQ'ed till Smith said he could continue.

Boring night.

Jones just never looks good against guys his size. He looks great against small guys, but just never does look spectacular when fighting someone even close to his size.

03-03-2019, 02:20 AM
I thought Usman v Woodley was good, Usman was fantastic in that one. Pretty much destroyed Woodley who barely won a second of any round.

Jones was levels above Smith who was happy enough just not to get finished, which made for a boring fight really.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)