Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Mayweather fights on May 5th
02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Confirmed.

Mayweather-Cotto on May 5, per Mayweather at the commission meeting in Vegas.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Oh god this is going to be a BLUDGEONING!
Find all posts by this user
02-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Method Wrote:Oh god this is going to be a BLUDGEONING!
Unless the undercard is something massive and earth-moving, I'm not ordering it.
02-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Yeah...this has one-sided ass whooping written all over it.
02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
Miguel better rediscover that left hook to the body that was mysteriously abandoned over the years.

I'm totally 100% without question absolutely pulling for Cotto... but it's a tall order with or without the body attack of old. It's just even tougher without it.
02-01-2012, 05:59 PM
JD Wrote:I think Cotto may have appeared faster, but I didn't see a sudden marked improvement in handspeed...I do believe his opponent had something to do with looking faster.

Cotto may try to use his right hand with a bit more frequency, but doing so against a one eyed come forward brawler will be worlds different than trying something new out against an all time great defensive fighter and terrific counter puncher. I mean, Cotto is still a one-handed fighter. Learning to clinch and learning to effectively punch with the right hand are two very different things...and in fairness, he clinched because he was exhausted and realized it was his only way - clinching isn't exactly a skill, you know?

As for being in a better place mentally than he was when he fought Mosley for example is something I cannot agree with. At that time he was an undefeated machine running through people and showing that he could get up from whatever he was hit with to bang his opponent out...now, he admits that he doesn't need to take the punishment anymore. Cotto in his own words thinks it is stupid to take the "die in the ring" approach and is only willing to go far enough to win without having to go through hell; if it gets too tough - he is out. He has shown a willingness to take a knee or to basically run like he did against Pac; to me that is the sign of a deteriorated mental state as a fighter. Sure, it translates well in the real world, but boxing is fought in a ring, not the real world.

I think where we differ here is that you are basing your view of the Mayweather fight on Cotto's ability to potentially add new wrinkles...for me, adding new wrinkles against the #1 or #2 fighter in the world is a recipe for disaster when you are essentially an old dog at this point. Moreover, when we look at George Foreman he had a couple things going for him that Cotto will not: 1) Incredibly heavy hands, 2) Michael Moorer was a reluctant champ with OK defense and a chin that was nothing special, 3) Foreman was not fighting a heavyweight version of Floyd Mayweather.

Cotto is what he is now...and unfortunately that is not similar to what he was.

Now just to reiterate, this does not mean I am saying Cotto is undeserving of the fight. To be clear, Miguel Cotto deserves an opportunity to fight Floyd and that is not debatable...I just see that opportunity as more of a ticket to an absolute dismantling than anything else.

Lastly, I think Miguel Cotto has had a terrific career and was a truly excellent fighter with one of the top resumes in the sport, I just think Floyd will absolutely dismantle him at this point in time...styles, and this is a bad one for him.
JD, I don't think Cotto is better mentally than in his fight with Mosley. I think after his first Margarito fight he had a lot of problems, and seemed like confidence issues. He is in a better place now.

Also, I don't think Cotto does well by adding new 'wrinkles'. I have been on record having the same opinion before Cotto lost to Margarito. I have ALWAYS thought Cotto matches up well with Mayweather, or a fight I think Cotto gives him a much tougher fight than A LOT of other guys.

There was a time where the fight didn't interest me, and didn't give Cotto a shot, and that was after the Margarito fight and when he had those 3 or so fights after where he really didn't look great. But I have seen some positive changes, and some of the things he has learnt are being put together a lot better now. Only after the last Margarito fight, I have had more faith in Miguel and interest in this fight again.

But no, I have always thought Cotto is an interesting fight with Floyd, it's not just these 'new' wrinkles.
02-01-2012, 06:00 PM
JD Wrote:
Yeah...this has one-sided ass whooping written all over it.
I disagree. I think Mayweather has a decent shot to go the distance. Wink
02-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Fitz Wrote:
JD Wrote:I think Cotto may have appeared faster, but I didn't see a sudden marked improvement in handspeed...I do believe his opponent had something to do with looking faster.

Cotto may try to use his right hand with a bit more frequency, but doing so against a one eyed come forward brawler will be worlds different than trying something new out against an all time great defensive fighter and terrific counter puncher. I mean, Cotto is still a one-handed fighter. Learning to clinch and learning to effectively punch with the right hand are two very different things...and in fairness, he clinched because he was exhausted and realized it was his only way - clinching isn't exactly a skill, you know?

As for being in a better place mentally than he was when he fought Mosley for example is something I cannot agree with. At that time he was an undefeated machine running through people and showing that he could get up from whatever he was hit with to bang his opponent out...now, he admits that he doesn't need to take the punishment anymore. Cotto in his own words thinks it is stupid to take the "die in the ring" approach and is only willing to go far enough to win without having to go through hell; if it gets too tough - he is out. He has shown a willingness to take a knee or to basically run like he did against Pac; to me that is the sign of a deteriorated mental state as a fighter. Sure, it translates well in the real world, but boxing is fought in a ring, not the real world.

I think where we differ here is that you are basing your view of the Mayweather fight on Cotto's ability to potentially add new wrinkles...for me, adding new wrinkles against the #1 or #2 fighter in the world is a recipe for disaster when you are essentially an old dog at this point. Moreover, when we look at George Foreman he had a couple things going for him that Cotto will not: 1) Incredibly heavy hands, 2) Michael Moorer was a reluctant champ with OK defense and a chin that was nothing special, 3) Foreman was not fighting a heavyweight version of Floyd Mayweather.

Now just to reiterate, this does not mean I am saying Cotto is undeserving of the fight. To be clear, Miguel Cotto deserves an opportunity to fight Floyd and that is not debatable...I just see that opportunity as more of a ticket to an absolute dismantling than anything else.

Lastly, I think Miguel Cotto has had a terrific career and was a truly excellent fighter with one of the top resumes in the sport, I just think Floyd will absolutely dismantle him at this point in time...styles, and this is a bad one for him.
JD, I don't think Cotto is better mentally than in his fight with Mosley. I think after his first Margarito fight he had a lot of problems, and seemed like confidence issues. He is in a better place now.

Also, I don't think Cotto does well by adding new 'wrinkles'. I have been on record having the same opinion before Cotto lost to Margarito. I have ALWAYS thought Cotto matches up well with Mayweather, or a fight I think Cotto gives him a much tougher fight than A LOT of other guys.

There was a time where the fight didn't interest me, and didn't give Cotto a shot, and that was after the Margarito fight and when he had those 3 or so fights after where he really didn't look great. But I have seen some positive changes, and some of the things he has learnt are being put together a lot better now. Only after the last Margarito fight, I have had more faith in Miguel and interest in this fight again.

But no, I have always thought Cotto is an interesting fight with Floyd, it's not just these 'new' wrinkles.
See but here is where we must go in different directions...this is nowhere near the pre-Margarito (the version you gave a solid chance to win) version of Cotto; not physically, not mentally, not reflex wise.

That said, honestly I can't really tell why you give Cotto a shot here because I am trying to work my way through your rationale, and it doesn't seem to reach an end point.

At one time Cotto was an interesting fight for Floyd...but one time was about 4.5 - 5 years, 2 savage beatdowns, and around 4 other wars ago...or in laymen terms, a boxing lifetime ago.
02-01-2012, 08:34 PM
JD Wrote:
Fitz Wrote:

See but here is where we must go in different directions...this is nowhere near the pre-Margarito (the version you gave a solid chance to win) version of Cotto; not physically, not mentally, not reflex wise.

That said, honestly I can't really tell why you give Cotto a shot here because I am trying to work my way through your rationale, and it doesn't seem to reach an end point.

At one time Cotto was an interesting fight for Floyd...but one time was about 4.5 - 5 years, 2 savage beatdowns, and around 4 other wars ago...or in laymen terms, a boxing lifetime ago.
Because I don't think he will be as offensive as the one we saw with Mosley/Hatton/Ortiz. Partly because I think Mayweather relies on his opponents offense to open up.
Cotto has a balance, and not as predictable as the others. He makes him wait more. I think Mayweather throws more single shots at a time than putting punches together. Like he did with DLH/Baldomir/Marquez.
This style I think we see from Mayweather gives up some early rounds, kind of like how Hopkins lost early rounds. I think Cotto will be aggressive earlier and the judges will like early in the fight.

In a nutshell, I think we see the less offensive version of Mayweather. I like Cotto matching up against the version of Mayweather I predict.

Like you said earlier, that's why they fight the fights. Just remember Cotto had no chance in the rematch with Margarito either, especially after the face-off and Cotto saying he is not willing to die in the ring.
02-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Fitz Wrote:
JD Wrote:
Fitz Wrote:

Because I don't think he will be as offensive as the one we saw with Mosley/Hatton/Ortiz. Partly because I think Mayweather relies on his opponents offense to open up.
Cotto has a balance, and not as predictable as the others. He makes him wait more. I think Mayweather throws more single shots at a time than putting punches together. Like he did with DLH/Baldomir/Marquez.
This style I think we see from Mayweather gives up some early rounds, kind of like how Hopkins lost early rounds. I think Cotto will be aggressive earlier and the judges will like early in the fight.

In a nutshell, I think we see the less offensive version of Mayweather. I like Cotto matching up against the version of Mayweather I predict.

Like you said earlier, that's why they fight the fights. Just remember Cotto had no chance in the rematch with Margarito either, especially after the face-off and Cotto saying he is not willing to die in the ring.
Lol... Fitz, I don't recall anyone saying Cottomdidnt have a chance in the Margarito fight. I remember some having their doubts (myself included).

This is not Margarito or Mayorga Cotto is fighting bro. Mayweather will slice him up. I think it will be entertaining in a Mayweather-Gatti type of way. Floyd won't be as dominate but he will put a beating on our boy!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)