Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

American Heavyweights...where are they?
02-24-2020, 10:55 AM
American Heavyweights...where are they?
It's pretty depressing looking at boxrec's list of American heavyweights.

Here's their top ten:

1. Andy Ruiz, 33-2-0
2. Deontay Wilder, 42-1-1
3. Michael Hunter, 18-1-1
4. Charles Martin, 28-2-1
5. Dominic Brezeale, 20-2-0
6. Gerald Washington, 20-4-1
7. Bryant Jennings, 24-4-0
8. Eric Molina, 27-6-0
9. Chris Arreola, 38-6-1
10. Alex Flores, 18-2-1

That is a horrible list, maybe the worst Top Ten of US heavies in history. It's so bad because they are all, with maybe the exception of Hunter, on the way down and moving backwards.

Now this wouldn't be so bad if there was a nice list of young, hungry kids on the way up to replace them. Sometimes that happens; you get a transitional period whilst you wait for the next generation to come through.

So here are the next lot of unbeatens:

Jermaine Franklin 20-0-0
Cassius Chaney 18-0-0
Darmani Rock 17-0-0
Trey Lippe 16-0-0
Mike Balogun 16-0-0
James Morrison 17-0-2

Now they are not bad fighters in and of themselves...but if they represent the next generation of American heavyweights, I'm afraid the future is in Europe.

So my question is twofold:

1. Why does America currently suck at producing heavyweights when historically they have owned the division?

2. Does it matter that the US isn't at the forefront of heavyweight boxing any more? Is it ok for the next generation of heavyweight boxing to be owned by Eastern Europe and Britain? Or does it directly affect the sport negatively?

Black
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-24-2020, 11:13 AM
RE: American Heavyweights...where are they?
Where are they?

In the NBA and NFL.
02-24-2020, 12:38 PM
Or UFC now.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-24-2020, 02:12 PM
Really the last time US heavies were relevant would have to be the early 90s, Europe has owned the heavyweight division since the mid 90s until Wilder came about but now after Saturday own it again.

Yea that's a pretty bad list but everybody on that list has either won or challenged for a world title. Charles Martin looked solid against Washington Saturday. The past 20years with the exception of Wilder Americans have just been supporting characters. The Klits owned it from mid 2000s to mid 2010s. Charles Martin got a piece of the crown because that Ukrainian dude fell down and hurt his knee but went on to have the 2nd shortest reign in history. Wilder had the 4th longest reign in history but rarely defended against top 5 fighters.

Since the Lewis era US heavies have been relatively shit. I mean shit post 2000 active US heavies would have to be like a John Ruiz or Fat Toney. Joe Mesi?? But he didn't really do much. Evander in the early 2000s? Tyson was shit by then. Kirk Johnson??? Haha. Cedric Boswell??

As bad as this current list is I'm sure from 05-15 probably had worse at one point in time.

As far as the next generation goes Trevor Bryan and Sonny Conto are both forces to be reckoned with. Conto still green but very very good. I'm ready for the Morrison brothers to step up it's now or never. Jermaine Franklin is meh at best seen him live several times. Adam Collins was doing whatever he wanted then decided he was going to take a knee and the count.

Travis Kaufman dad has a heavy that's decent named Mike Coffee he could be exciting. But now that Wilder has been dethroned American heavyweight boxing will fade back in to obscurity probably.

I want a reality show like the contender except it's journeymen or Fringe heavyweights. I'd watch the shit out of that. I think alot of people would.

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
02-24-2020, 04:21 PM
Get an eight man heavyweight tourney going, a nice mix of unbeaten and fringe contenders still with ambition. Make it about the back stories and a documentary style show for each fight.

Winner gets a manufactured title shot. That'd work and bring some interest back.

Black
02-24-2020, 05:00 PM
(02-24-2020 12:38 PM)JONdaCON Wrote:  Or UFC now.

Dunno about that. UFC pays significantly less than boxing does, at least at the higher tiers.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
02-24-2020, 05:08 PM
Joey Dawejko, Joey Abell, Chris Arreola, Eric Molina could be the Warhorses

Stephen Shaw, Jermaine Franklin, Cassius Chaney, Darimani Rock would be the young bucks.

I'd watch that for sure.

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
02-24-2020, 05:19 PM
@snoop, yes it pays less but it's far more popular... so that's where they go.

Soccer pays bank but US doesnt really push out soccer players, same with baseball.

Football pays least but that seems to be everyone's go to.. then maybe basketball. Atleast in my part of the world.
02-24-2020, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2020 05:45 PM by Snoop.)
(02-24-2020 05:19 PM)JONdaCON Wrote:  @snoop, yes it pays less but it's far more popular... so that's where they go.

Soccer pays bank but US doesnt really push out soccer players, same with baseball.

Football pays least but that seems to be everyone's go to.. then maybe basketball. Atleast in my part of the world.

Is it more popular though? Or I guess, how are we measuring popularity? I think PPV buys for boxing are still way higher than it is for UFC.

It's not that you don't have a point; I'm sure the growth of UFC and MMA have drawn some people away from boxing and it might be a factor down the future, I just don't think it's reach a point to where we can say the next great American HW has been drawn away by it. I don't watch MMA all that much, but who that is currently in the UFC would have made an excellent boxer?

I'd say the mega-salaries of the NFL and NBA are more responsible for luring most of the athletic talent that would have made excellent boxers. Much more pay for much less suffering.

As for soccer, it pays bank in just about every other country in the world, but does it pay bank here in the US? From what I've seen, it's only marginally popular.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
02-24-2020, 05:46 PM
Hasnt NFL and NBA always had big money though? Wasnt it paying out in the 90's and early 00's when most of the best heavies were American?

Black

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)