Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Records/Milstones in Sport!
10-12-2020, 04:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2020 08:11 AM by ViperSniper.)
Records/Milstones in Sport!
Today will go down as a very historic day in sport with 2 records being equalled/tied within tennis & F1!

Lewis Hamilton equalled Michael Schumacher's record of 91 F1 victories & also Rafael Nadal equalling the still active record of Roger Federer with 20 Grandslams!

What have been some favourites records set & were there any records broken that didn't sit well?

Growing up I was a Pete Sampras fan, so hated Federer alot when he finally matched, then surpassed his 14 Grandslams!
It took me a while to finally become a fan of Roger.

I remember years ago being out & meeting a skateboarder & showed how out of touch I was with the skate world by this point when I asked whether anyone else has landed the 900 since Tony Hawk. He had casually replied "Yeah!..close to 10 people have done that now, even some 12 year old kid had landed it!".
Although Hawk cemented history for being the first to land the 900, it had made me kinda sad to find out how so many people had accomplished the same feat since. .

Any records you'd like to see broken? Back to tennis again, I'd love to see Serena Williams surpass Margaret Court's grandslam titles & would be upset if Djokovic was to ever surpass either Federer or Nadal!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2020, 04:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-12-2020 04:44 PM by Fitz.)
RE: Records/Milstones in Sport!
Also fuckhead Lebron is the first to win 3 NBA rings with 3 x different clubs and 3 x MVP's with 3 different clubs

I loved the Bulls season record of 72-10 I think it was in 95/96.....then the Warriors beat it a few years ago with a 73-9 record...ironically it was Kerr who coached the Warriors and played in that Bulls side.
Though the Warriors lost the final on that all time season lol
10-12-2020, 05:19 PM
It's hard to judge F1 stats since they change with the times.

The modern F1 calendar is so big that its much easier to notch up races and wins compared to even a decade ago. Fangio in the 50's would have had to win every single race on the calendar for 12 years to stand a chance of winning 90-odd races and beating this current record.

Its like the difference between being a three weight world boxing champion in 1950 when there were only eight weights and one belt per weight (by and large) and in 2020 where you can win a bunch of WBA 'regular' titles and only put on 7lbs across three divisions.

Black
10-12-2020, 07:16 PM
The Warriors surpassing the Bulls most wins in a season was annoying so glad they at least lost that season.

I've always found motorsports odd when it comes to records as a big part of it is the engineering of a vehicles. Maybe not so much with the present, but more so when viewing the present with the past as engineering/technology is expected to evolve quicker than human beings.
Most sports, the athletes have to keep up with the athletes, whereas here they have to keep up with technology. Not taking anything away from any motorsports..or the athletes, but it's not like any other racing sports, like running or even horse racing, where again technology evolves quicker than humans & the animals used for racing.
Sure in motorsports there would be rules & regulations on what can & can't be done to a car/bike but seems success would be determined on what vehicle a driver/rider has is just as much of a factor in what driving ability the driver has.

Or is this just the equivalent to team sports then, inregards to whether someone has a good team (vehicle) or not?
10-13-2020, 12:35 AM
(10-12-2020 04:39 PM)Fitz Wrote:  Also fuckhead Lebron is the first to win 3 NBA rings with 3 x different clubs and 3 x MVP's with 3 different clubs

I loved the Bulls season record of 72-10 I think it was in 95/96.....then the Warriors beat it a few years ago with a 73-9 record...ironically it was Kerr who coached the Warriors and played in that Bulls side.
Though the Warriors lost the final on that all time season lol

That Bulls lineup was probably my favorite of all time - Jordan, Pippen, Rodman, Kerr, Longley, Kukoc, Harper - that was a fucking TEAM. Fuck it makes me miss the NBA back in those days (and the 90s in general) when it was about how well an entire team played together rather than which individual superstar showcased their skills more.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-13-2020, 02:14 AM
Even though it's hard to know who is cheating these days, il leave that aside for now..... I must say I loved Usain Bolt in his heyday smashing records, and also watching (even though it doesnt stand as a record) Eliud Kipchoge doing a sub 2 hour marathon. What a feat that was even with support.
10-13-2020, 02:57 AM
Usain Bolt was huge when he was on top! By saying that, I was never able to be a fan of his & alot of it had to do with the amount of Ali comparisons he would get. I get it, but got a bit much for me also.

Bolts legacy is safe but felt he also hurt his image/lost mystic by seeing him lose in dramatic fashion in his final race..

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)