Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Carlos Molina to have 15 round fight!
10-06-2020, 09:01 PM
Carlos Molina to have 15 round fight!
Seems there will be a 15 round fight taking place soon in 2020.
I'd love to see 15 round fights come back to eliminate chances of draws in big fights.

https://fightnews.com/first-15-round-fig...nced/87414
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2020, 05:05 AM
RE: Carlos Molina to have 15 round fight!
I'd be happy to see some kind of precedence set where any unification or fight for unified titles tends to be over 15 rounds. That would lend extra credence to it.

Black
10-07-2020, 09:51 AM
Maybe a stupid question but other than legacy, if you want an odd number to minimise (already rare) draws, why not 13?
10-07-2020, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2020 01:06 PM by blackbelt2003.)
Fuck out of here with that sense making shit, Lloyd. We like it flawed and traditional in our sport.

Black

PS a draw is a draw. Nothing wrong with a draw. If a fight is level it should be a draw, we shouldn't just make someone a winner when there isn't one.

Black
10-07-2020, 02:29 PM
I have been guilty of this a lot recently, here and elsewhere. I need to rediscover my knee jerk, over the top reactions to minor things.
10-07-2020, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2020 10:05 PM by ViperSniper.)
(10-07-2020 09:51 AM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  Maybe a stupid question but other than legacy, if you want an odd number to minimise (already rare) draws, why not 13?

This has crossed my mind before. 15 rounders were supposed to be too long/dangerous. Well if 15 is too much, why not just add an extra round to the already existing 12 round championship fights & make them 13 rounds instead.
I'd personally prefer 15 round fights but having an odd numbered rounds you'd definitely eliminate the possibilities of draws in big fights!

(10-07-2020 01:05 PM)blackbelt2003 Wrote:  Fuck out of here with that sense making shit, Lloyd. We like it flawed and traditional in our sport.

Black

PS a draw is a draw. Nothing wrong with a draw. If a fight is level it should be a draw, we shouldn't just make someone a winner when there isn't one.

Black

It's kind of amazing you don't get more draws in boxing considering all it takes is for both fighters to win 6 rounds each lol. But even with my own scorecards, there hasn't been a great amount of fights I've scored draws either.

By saying that, some of boxing's most recent biggest fights have ended in draws in Canelo-GGG I & Wilder-Fury I. Regardless of how you personally scored those fights, had there been an extra round, then there would have had to be a winner. (I had GGG winning but actually agreed on Wilder-Fury I as I scored it a draw)

Regardless of amount of rounds in a fight, you will never be able to stop tough rounds to score or close, competitive fights that will create debate about who really won.
You will unfortunately not be able to stop robberies with bad judging either, but you would be able to determine a winner in either those honest, worthy, close fights on those big nights of boxing also. Even if draws are surprisingly rare.
10-08-2020, 02:48 AM
I'm happy with the two fights you mentioned being a draw.

Had the judges been forced to find a winner, we may well have ended up with Canelo and Wilder being given a decision and probably no rematch to sort it out properly.

After all, if Canelo had been given a 13th round vs Golovkin and claimed a win, do you think he would have granted GGG a second go?

I don't. I'm glad they drew and had a rematch.

Black
10-08-2020, 03:52 AM
But to be fair, even in an odd number, surely all it takes is a 10-8 in the mix to revive the possibility of a draw?
10-08-2020, 04:31 AM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2020 04:32 AM by ViperSniper.)
Well even with an extra round, you'd still get close/controversial fights that would warrant rematches. Not like rematches only happen when draws occur, but more so due to demand or to settle unfinished business. (Barrera-Morales fought 3 times without any draws or 10-8 rounds)

Not all fights have 10-8 rounds..just like Canelo-GGG I. For scoring sake, had there been an extra round, then there would have had to have been a winner. Certain that even then, there would have been demand for a rematch.

Draws can obviously occur in odd numbered rounds but again, minimises the chances also.

What has been the highest profiled draws?? I can only think of 12 rounders at this point in time...with Leonard-Hearns II being the earliest & also biggest draw I recall..
Any notable 15 rounds draws anyone can come up with?
10-08-2020, 04:34 AM
In the cases you are talking about though.... Is that one extra round really enough to make it worthwhile having a "winner".

I'm with black here. We need to de-stigmatise the draw.

I will begin a campaign immediately and I intend to essentially tag draws in boxing matching onto Pride/Rainbow marches.

Anyone have any issues with this?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)