Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

The switch from Emanuel Stewart to Perdro Diaz
02-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Edit: Did Pedro Diaz help Miguel Cotto?

Going by the rematch with Antonio Margarito, do you think Cotto's new trainer had effects? If so, how much credit do you give him for Cotto's performance?

I saw the best Miguel in ages and would have to say Diaz had alot to do with that.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2012, 02:12 AM
i voted too early to tell.. i think Miguel had a good game plan goin in but i think almost anyone coulda told him to sticc in move while focusing on the right eye... to me it was a given...

from what i hear Pedro is taking him bacc old school and tryin to refocus him as if he was juss coming out of the amature ranks... i think its a good idea to give his career a fresh start and diff look... other then that i dont think he did too much to Cotto quite yet as it usually takes atleast a couple fights to really see any effect IMO...

i guess we'll see what his game plan will be vs Mayweather.. Hopefully his trainer also had something to do with his decision to not go all the way down to 47 to fight MP again...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2012, 03:31 PM
i think he's better to have than Manny. i don't think Manny would have had him tying up Marg or fighting inside, he would have wanted more footwork and jabs probably. Cotto could have Ray Arcel in his corner and it wouldn't matter his chance at beating Mayweather came and went years ago. i do think Diaz is going to be a good trainer, he just needs some names and wins under his belt. i could see Manny losing Gamboa to him 6-12 months from now.
02-05-2012, 06:07 PM
Who really knows...That trainer was genius with coming up with a plan to hold Tony on the inside though. Many times when Margarito got inside, Cotto would tie him right up and wouldn't allow him to get those shots off on the inside. The ref let the holding happen and to me, that was the biggest difference in the rematch. It wasn't just the eye. Tony was still moving forward and put great pressure on Cotto. Cotto was backing up a lot and that looked a lot like the first fight. Not letting Margarito get off those shots though was crucial, as Cotto never wore down. I'm sure Manny would have had Cotto ready though and had a great plan in place as well.
02-06-2012, 06:37 PM
KYLE THEEE SPINKS FAN Wrote:Who really knows...That trainer was genius with coming up with a plan to hold Tony on the inside though. Many times when Margarito got inside, Cotto would tie him right up and wouldn't allow him to get those shots off on the inside. The ref let the holding happen and to me, that was the biggest difference in the rematch. It wasn't just the eye. Tony was still moving forward and put great pressure on Cotto. Cotto was backing up a lot and that looked a lot like the first fight. Not letting Margarito get off those shots though was crucial, as Cotto never wore down. I'm sure Manny would have had Cotto ready though and had a great plan in place as well.
I don't know if it was genius, for me it's common sense. Even I saw that and said right from the start that the reason he lost to Margarito in the first fight was because he didn't clinch.
It was a very basic adjustment that made the world of difference.
02-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Yea, I suppose it's not "genius" to come up with a plan to clinch. However, I don't remember too many people saying going into that fight that Cotto needed to clinch to win. Kudos to you for pointing it out, but I don't remember a lot of people making that claim.
02-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Yeah I don't know about others, but the solution was very simple to pinpoint.

http://www.fighthype.com/community/index...opic=27748

Williams is the same, his solution to be a wrecking machine is pretty simple also but only so much a trainer can say, they need the fighter to listen as well.
So far, Cotto has impressed me with his willingness to learn at this stage of his career. He looked bad in several showings after the first Margarito fight, but the more I see him fight, the more I think that was him to making adjustments and fighting a little different which he wasn't used to, which is very possible as to why he did not look good in the Clottey and Jennings fight.
02-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Yea, I agree with that. It's tought to teach an old dog new tricks, but Cotto seems willing to learn and adjust what he does. It will be really interesting to see what they can come up with to match up with Floyd. Floyd won't put a ton of pressure on Cotto, but he'll be a lot faster than Cotto.

BTW, great to read that thread...the build up to that fight was awesome.
02-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Fitz Wrote:Yeah I don't know about others, but the solution was very simple to pinpoint.

what was the meaning of bens cocaine reference in that thread?
02-07-2012, 07:38 PM
jlupi Wrote:
Fitz Wrote:Yeah I don't know about others, but the solution was very simple to pinpoint.

what was the meaning of bens cocaine reference in that thread?
I have no idea. He was big on doing that.

Instead of just coming out and saying something, he would always make a little remark like that, or something not very clear at all where people wouldn't understand what he was trying to say.
That's what he used to do when he wanted someone to ask him about his comment and to expand on it. He liked to make people ask him stuff, it made him feel improtant and useful. So quite often you would see him make a comment that would be very vague, it's so he could be asked about it.
Same like he did when people moved here. He made people email him if they wanted to post at FH so he could unblock them.

Control freak that constantly needs to feel important.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good luck to Emanuel Stewart BrotherCane 2 2,065 09-21-2012 01:10 AM
Last Post: BGv4.0

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)