Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Naughty boy Carl
02-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Naughty boy Carl
Quote:Former two-time super-middleweight world champion Carl Froch has admitted deliberately prolonging fights so members of his family could benefit from betting.

Froch claims he could have stopped Ruben Groenewald earlier than he did during a Commonwealth title defence in 2005.

The Nottingham fighter said he allowed the South African to survive in the fourth round because members of his family had bet on him winning in the fifth.

Froch told the BBC: "I've done it more than one occasion and it was round five but that's not illegal.

Privilege

"I can say, 'right, I'll stop this kid in round five'. If I'm good enough to do that then fair enough.

"I don't gamble but my brothers and my friends, they did quite well off it.

"I can openly say that because if I'm good enough to step on the gas in round five and force the stoppage then that's my privilege, and that's what I did in this particular fight at the Arena for the Commonwealth title defence.

"But the problem with that is I held him up in round four.

"He was there for the taking and I held him up, I got him with a shot, I could have ended up getting done myself in round four."

I really don't think too much of this and don't see it as a major issue but considering the timing of things he really should have kept his mouth shut.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Naughty boy Carl
I dunno about in Britain, but I'm pretty sure that's highly illegal here in the States. He should definitely keep his mouth shut.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Naughty boy Carl
Not very clever from Froch there. To think I might've had ?100 on a 4th round stoppage!! Cunt! lol

Thing is, it ain't all that serious in the grand scheme of things cos it was literally just a private issue with his family. If he had some kinda cartel involved then yeah, fuck me, they'd string him up for this.

Just keep shit to yourself though Carl.
02-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Naughty boy Carl
i think a lot of fighters do this. i've heard about cats back in the day telling friends and family how to bet if they wanted to lay some money on them. i don't like it if they carry somebody, if they throw a fight or the other cat takes a dive. this is nothing compared to biased refs and scoring though
02-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Naughty boy Carl
That's illegal and match fixing.
02-21-2012, 07:44 AM
Naughty boy Carl
Fitz Wrote:That's illegal and match fixing.
The board of control have said they are going to look into it but have "more pressing issues to deal with at the moment."
02-22-2012, 06:24 PM
Naughty boy Carl
What a stupid time to bring that up!

Well, it's not the best idea full stop really.....
02-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Naughty boy Carl
Really stupid thing to admit to, and off his own back as well. Surely he'll be punished for this?
02-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Naughty boy Carl
SENTRAL Wrote:Really stupid thing to admit to, and off his own back as well. Surely he'll be punished for this?
he's going to get fined a gallon of Bute's blood and all the tears of Montreal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Naughty boy Carl amberteresa 0 679 07-17-2018 03:19 AM
Last Post: amberteresa

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)