Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Pandora's Box being opened?
02-18-2012, 01:59 PM
JONdaCON Wrote:That can't be healthy... And those UFC guys lose a TON before a fight...
they've some really smart guys helping them with their cut though. they change their diet around leading up to a fight and can cut 20 pounds pretty easy. the problem is boxers are probably just sweating it out the old way like not eating or drinking anything then sitting in a sauna until you make weight.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2012, 02:37 PM
gravytrain Wrote:
JONdaCON Wrote:That can't be healthy... And those UFC guys lose a TON before a fight...
they've some really smart guys helping them with their cut though. they change their diet around leading up to a fight and can cut 20 pounds pretty easy. the problem is boxers are probably just sweating it out the old way like not eating or drinking anything then sitting in a sauna until you make weight.
Mostly the case but I think of guys like Thiago Silva and Anthony Johnson who walk around well over 200 lbs then make the Cut to Welterweight. It juss seems like a huge disadvantage to be drained like that. What's the point to be that big? You dont even carry the power anymore.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-18-2012, 03:09 PM
JONdaCON Wrote:
gravytrain Wrote:
Mostly the case but I think of guys like Thiago Silva and Anthony Johnson who walk around well over 200 lbs then make the Cut to Welterweight. It juss seems like a huge disadvantage to be drained like that. What's the point to be that big? You dont even carry the power anymore.
i learned about it by reading an article by the guy that GSP cat works with. he said they got GSP to put on some muscle but since he's able to cut 20 pounds like nothing instead of having to move up he could still fight in the same division. i think not having to cut 20 pounds the old school way is a big advantage, you can be fresh and still come in heavier than your opponent. but the more weight you drop the harder it can be on your body, the way some of the MMA guys are doing it just gets you down 20 pounds comfortably and then anymore than that and it'll be harder on you.

some fighters just don't keep their weight down and they've to make big cuts though. like Hatton would blow up after fights, he'd to make big cuts or he couldn't fight.
02-18-2012, 06:01 PM
In WV we have same day weigh-ins. 12 o'clock and fights usually start 8ish. It isn't fun but it kinda forces guys to stay around their natural weight.

I NEVER dehydrate, that is stupid. You can manipulate your water much easier but it only works with about 5 lbs.
The MORE you drink the LESS you hold, because you body knows more is coming in. When you cut the water the night before weigh-ins your body keeps moving the water through, and just as it begins to realize that no more is coming in you are weighed in and can start drinking again restarting the cycle with little cost to you (you have to keep an eye on your electrolytes and vitamins though. I am a personal trainer, a physical therapist assistant, and have a BS in Biology human A&P emphasis ... so i know the human body pretty well. But i was also raised in the world of hardcore sports). And actually more water can help with your diet too. It flushes metabolic wastes, disperses nutrients, and helps move the food through your intestines.

I used this in high school for wrestling (not to live in the past) and i had a NIGHTMARE of a time staying at 171, and i use it now for contract weights. I have never been drawn out or suffered bc of it. In fact i had to cut to 184 one time 2 weeks after pneumonia (cause i couldn't train proper) and i still was able to perform.

I know food is fuel, and some fights are taken on short notice. But if you are one of those fighters, make your body always READY.
I don't like to diet, but if you are willing to do that much crazy shit just to get an advantage ... train harder and make yourself better and more capable to perform at a weight closer to your natural.

For that Estrada fight, the commission pulled some BS moves to let that fight happen. That is on them, in my eyes.

I will never tell anyone how to handle there shit, but there ARE better ways.
Right now i have dieted down, so i can make room for my strength training.
I can't blame Woods for taking that fight, my first fight i gave up 32lbs and i had weights on my thighs to make heavywt. But i was confident in my abilities to handle a bigger opponent (doesn't mean it was smart though).

Bottom line THERE ARE BETTER WAYS, and if you need that much of an advantage, well, good luck.
02-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Sorry quick little revision on the last post.

You can actually manipulate the water loss to 7-8lbs if you use proper food and mineral intake 2 days before weigh-ins.
But that water manipulation has to be something you use pretty consistently for at least 2-3 weeks (at LEAST a gallon a day, 1.5 works even better) to condition the body's water flow. (i am so used to it that it is just part of my normal daily routine).

Combine that with diet and your exercise, you can drop 10-12 lbs in one week with very little loss in performance.

The rehydration and refueling after is important to pay attention to also, but that is "no shit" info.

(done being a nerd)
02-18-2012, 10:35 PM
They should have same day weigh ins. I don't really think you will get fighters dehydrating dramatically for same day weigh ins. You may get some that do it by a couple of lbs or so, but nothing excessive. You will get fighters fighting closer to their natural weight, because the time to gain weight would not be enough to really be able to afford to dry yourself out.
02-18-2012, 10:58 PM
Athletic commissions are making this very dangerous sports "safe" that sooner or later we will have ROBOTS instead of humans fighting in the ring. Fuck! Let's have same day weigh in and those idiots who dehydrate too much deserve to get their brains crash into the insides of their skulls.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)