Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

British Boxing thread
08-13-2023, 02:09 PM
RE: British Boxing thread
Not sure you can teach survival.instincts to the level AJ would need tbh. Manny could make him a big robotic jab jab hold repeat guy, but that lack of in ring nous would keep his ceiling where it is IMO.

AJ to an extent was always able to do that, but he'd never have the IQ to stop someone like Usyk getting in range and hel never have the punch resistance to prevent the moments of panic he suffers from when he gets hit.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2023, 02:19 PM
(08-13-2023 01:33 PM)Warlord Wrote:  Manny Steward?

Yessir. If anyone could do it, it would be Manny.
08-13-2023, 03:13 PM
(08-13-2023 02:19 PM)JD Wrote:  Yessir. If anyone could do it, it would be Manny.

It would’ve been interesting. AJ certainly fit the bill, physically. Manny was good at taking long, chinny fighters with a punch to the next level, from Hearns all the way up to Klit.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
08-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Yep. Lewis had that stigma, but I never considered him chinny.
08-13-2023, 06:07 PM
(08-13-2023 03:21 PM)JD Wrote:  Yep. Lewis had that stigma, but I never considered him chinny.

I don’t think he was as chinny as Wlad, but he’s down the list when it comes to the chins of all-time heavyweight greats. He might even be at the bottom.

08-13-2023, 08:14 PM
I love that description, Warlord.

Lewis is the chinniest ATG HW.

I believe that's true.
08-13-2023, 09:23 PM
I initially thought that he had no chin, but when you look at the two shots he got stopped on, they were massive and put most any other heavy on their ass.

To your point, I think that’s probably fair. Thinking of the greatest heavies, they all had terrific chins…Lewis chin wasn’t his strength, but I don’t consider it a weakness.
08-13-2023, 10:36 PM
(08-13-2023 09:23 PM)JD Wrote:  I initially thought that he had no chin, but when you look at the two shots he got stopped on, they were massive and put most any other heavy on their ass.

To your point, I think that’s probably fair. Thinking of the greatest heavies, they all had terrific chins…Lewis chin wasn’t his strength, but I don’t consider it a weakness.

Well, the two brutal KO losses weren’t the only time he got hurt. Lewis had a very obvious tell when he got hurt, which was this dazed, fake ass smile he did. He was even doing when Rahman hurt him, and was still doing it right up to the second he got KO’d, LOL.

I do think his chin was somewhat of a liability, at least in Lennox’s mind, which is why he brought in Steward and changed up his style, which prior to the first McCall had been based entirely on power punching, specifically that big overhand right. Steward trained McCall for that fight, specifically to beat Lennox to the punch when he was throwing one of those big right hands. McCall nearly put him out in the first and then did it in the second.

When Manny got Lennox the first thing he did was teach him how to jab, and tie guys up when they got in close (the jab and grab that so many big guys now do regularly). He tightened up his footwork and also worked on his left hook, body punches, and uppercuts, the same one he nearly decapitated Tyson with in the first round of their fight.

All this was done to protect Lennox from getting massacred again the way he did against McCall. I think without Manny Lennox probably has a very different career trajectory. His footwork alone would’ve seen him get planted at least a few more times, as he had a nasty habit of crossing his legs.

Well, anyway, long story short, I think we can all agree among the ATG’s Lennox has the worst or among the worst chins. And, in my opinion, the Lennox Lewis that existed under Pepe Correa probably gets starched by all of them.

09-23-2023, 07:57 PM
Now obviously I have to preface this by saying that Joe Joyce is very limited in what he can do, but I have to admit that Zhilei Zhang is actually got a few more wrinkles to his game than I first credited him with. I think he poses problems for anyone in the division currently.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
09-24-2023, 03:45 AM
I liked Zhang first time I seen him and yeah, he's probably a tough night for anyone tbh. He has that clubbing, concussion power.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)