Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Who has been the closest fighter to beating Floyd?
03-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Who in your eyes has been the closest to taking Mayweather's 0?

In order I would have to say..

Mosley
Judah
Castillo
De La Hoya
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-22-2012, 07:55 AM
I thought Castillo did but what do I know?
03-22-2012, 08:01 AM
I would say Castillo by a country mile. He beat Mayweather in my eyes in their first fight. DLH came closer than many people will give him credit for & if he had the gas tank & stuck to using his jab he would have beaten him. Credit to Floyd for adjusting to him & taking him away from what was working. Judah could have won had he not been so unfocused & I give Mayweather very little credit for that win. Shane had one good round & a couple of good punches. Yes he "nearly" won but close enough is not good enough. Shane was washed up as fuck when they fought so that is another one where little credit is due to Floyd.

Floyds best win to me was Corrales & it is sad that win was 10+ years ago now.
03-22-2012, 08:07 AM
As much as I'd love to take this opportunity to say how Mayweather really lost to Castillo, I gotta say I scored both fights for Mayweather, second fight being more clear! First fight Castillo fought a good fight and was one of Mayweather's toughest competition with the rounds being pretty close!

Judah was much more clear and effective with the rounds he won and even scored an uncredited KD. Judah was not just competitive with those rounds but was actually incontrol and outboxing Mayweather and showed the faster hands.

As for Mosley. Despite the 10+ rounds ol' Mosley lost, round 2 was as close as it got! Punchers & seconds away! That moment on it's own takes it for me!
03-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Castillo I without question.

Not sure why Mosley is even on the list. Mayweather won 35:50 of that fight. I give Mosley a good 10 seconds, but Mayweather IMO wasn't in serious danger. The guy always recovers well when he gets his bell rung and always utilizes his great D to avoid getting hit as he recovers. Even if Mosley landed another bomb and put Mayweather on his ass I say Mayweather gets up, recovers and goes on to win the fight in the same fashion he did.
03-22-2012, 08:37 AM
I can see Castillo having the strongest argument considering many had him winning on the cards!

Good point though BBS, Mayweather does recover well because of that he was able to maintain his composure and get himself out of that situation. He certainly was rocked big time with his leg giving way. It was have been interesting to see how Mayweather would have reacted had he been dropped hard by a shot after that moment!

Had Mayweather not been able to adjust when he did or Mosley being years youger I'm not very certain Mayweather makes it to the final bell! Mosley had Mayweather more hurt and introuble than anyone before. That reason on it's own is why Mosley is put on the list.
03-22-2012, 08:42 AM
I actually thought Mayweather was more hurt against Corley than he was against Mosley, but that's just my opinion.

Surely a younger version of Mosley would have given Mayweather a more competitive fight, but I'm not sure he wins it. Mosley-Mayweather at 135 would have been a great time Smile
03-22-2012, 08:55 AM
BrutalBodyShots Wrote:I actually thought Mayweather was more hurt against Corley than he was against Mosley, but that's just my opinion.

Surely a younger version of Mosley would have given Mayweather a more competitive fight, but I'm not sure he wins it. Mosley-Mayweather at 135 would have been a great time Smile

Interesting observation on Corley. I must admit that memory is hazy but it did cross my mind when making this thread.

IMO opinion I'd really like Mosley's chances against Mayweather at both Lightweight and Welterweight. Mayweather hasn't done anything impressive enough at Welter to strongly suggests he beats Mosley at his Welterweight best and at Lightweight as impressive as Mayweather still looked back then, Mosley looked like a complete beast! So quick, explosive and dangerous! Mosley at 135 was quite something!
03-22-2012, 09:43 AM
Obviously Castillo 1 was the closest thing we saw to a Mayweather lose. I scored the fight for Mayweather but wouldn't have had an issue with a draw or Castillo by a point or 2.

Aside from that fight, Castillo 2 was another competitive fight that I saw Mayweather winning a close but clear fight. I would have to say that Judah outboxed and even had Mayweather stunned after 4 rounds. Zab's style gave Mayweather problems for a while but Mayweater adapted well and proceeded to whip Judah properly. If we're looking at the cards then De La Hoya would be second to Castillo but honestly speaking, Floyd won that fight clear as day and I believe I gave him 9 rounds. De La Hoya did absolutely nothing in that fight. I find it hard to give a guy a round based on arm punches when the other guy has consistently landing clean counter shots.

Now at this moment, I give Martinez and Lara the best chance at beating Mayweather.
03-22-2012, 09:43 AM
I can understand the rationale for saying that Mosley came the closest to beating him, but in terms of all out competitiveness for 12 rounds it has to be Castillo. He landed some great body shots on Mayweather, and it allowed him to set up big punches later on in the fight. By the 12th round he had Mayweather running to survive. The 2nd fight was competitive but Mayweather clearly won it. Still, it was closer than most Mayweather fights.

The fact that we are making a thread trying to find who has given Mayweather his best fight speaks volumes about how good he is.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Closest to identical records facing each other? BrutalBodyShots 25 11,606 07-10-2014 12:54 PM
Last Post: Snoop
  Rigo - "Beating Donaire was easy, beating Mares will be even easier" Fitz 17 13,961 05-13-2013 06:41 PM
Last Post: Fitz

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)