Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Movies
03-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Movies
the ollie reed fan club Wrote:Oh and anything by Michael Mann, that dude is a freaken genius. Manhunter is a great movie and Brian Cox far more scary as Hannibal Lecter than Hopkins.
I've never felt that way about Cox's version...though many do...for sure those that have read the books claim that he is much closer to Harris's version of him in Red Dragon than Hopkins could ever be.

BUT....Tom Noonan's Tooth Fairy in Manhunter is way more scary to me than Ralf Fiennes in Red Dragon.

Noonan just looks like a damn freak when walking the streets normal...he really looks weird with panty hose on his head talking like a nut.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2012, 03:19 AM
Movies
If it is true that the world will end in 2012....then God has truly given a lovely parting gift.

Or should I say God and Sir Ridley Scott!

Come to think of it, you never do see the two in the same room? Hmmmmm.

Seriously, Prometheus is the shit.....any movie that can have my jaw open for 3/4 of the film is truly impressive. And for those that for whatever reason...cannot see the connections to Alien....there is something wrong with them...it's clear as day.

GO SEE IT!!!!!
06-10-2012, 06:26 PM
Movies
BGv4.0 Wrote:If it is true that the world will end in 2012....then God has truly given a lovely parting gift.

Or should I say God and Sir Ridley Scott!

Come to think of it, you never do see the two in the same room? Hmmmmm.

Seriously, Prometheus is the shit.....any movie that can have my jaw open for 3/4 of the film is truly impressive. And for those that for whatever reason...cannot see the connections to Alien....there is something wrong with them...it's clear as day.

GO SEE IT!!!!!
I enjoyed prometheus. Felt more could have happened in it tho. There were times during it where i was waiting for it to all kick off and it didnt really. Still really good tho and the effects were tremendous. Even down to all the little gadgets they used. David (think his name was david, the guy played by Fassbender) was a quality character.
12-17-2012, 12:11 AM
Movies
Last couple of days, I've watched:

Ip Man

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1220719/

This was a pretty good movie. I don't watch heaps of martial arts movies. But this one is apparently based on Bruce Lee's mentor. I enjoyed this one, and I thought the fighting scenes were good as well. I don't like it when they are too over the top. Good movie.

The Imposter

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1966604/

Quote:A documentary centered on a young Frenchman who convinces a grieving Texas family that he is their 16-year-old son who went missing for 3 years.

This was a documentary, and a good one as well. You hear from everyone involved, with the Frenchman with the most camera time. You get to hear a lot on how everything unfolded straight from the horses mouth, with some real footage as well.
Though you keep wondering how a family could be convinced like that. Seems rather strange to me.

The Shining

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/

I've seen bits and pieces of this, but never the whole movie. But I finally got around to watching this, lol. Most people have probably seen it, so not much to add. But I thought it was pretty good. I swear Jack Nicholson is a creep without even having to try.
12-17-2012, 02:00 AM
Movies
Thanks for reviving this topic Fitz!

I'm been on a run trying to watch some of the best comedies of all time. I've seen most on every list, but there were a few that I hadn't.

The newest watches:

Zombieland

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1156398/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

It's a unique take on the zombie genre, and a fun watch.

This is Spinal Tap

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088258/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

The Rob Reiner ground breaking mocu-mentary. I'd never seen it before, and figured it was about time. I'm not sure how much it has held up to the test of time, but this quote was amazing!

Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
Nigel Tufnel: [pause] These go to eleven.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-17-2012, 02:34 AM
Movies
"Lone Star"
"Barry Lyndon"
"You Can Count on Me"
12-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Movies
Thanks Spyder, I might download that Zombieland. I'm not working, so been occupying myself and I don't watch movies very often at all these days.

At the moment, I'm downloading 'Elite Squad' and "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". My uncle told me about them earlier tonight, though I've heard of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo before. I'm downloading the Japanese version, as I was told they remade an english version. Apparently there's 3 of them, and are based on a book. The movie was pretty popular I believe, as I've seen it brought up a lot, though not sure which version is the one that's generally spoken about, but I'm going to watch the original.
Elite Squad sounds cool as well. It's a Brazilian movie based in the drug slums of Brazil. He said it was a very good movie, so I'm going to check that one out also.
12-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Movies
Method Wrote:Man on Fire...well, ANYTHING Dezell (man, did I just sound like Joi???)

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest...well, anything Jack

Method Wrote:King of New York. Well, anything w Walden.

the ollie reed fan club Wrote:My favourite cops & robbers movie of all time: Infernal Affairs.

It pisses all over the remake. Not that The Departed is a bad movie, just Infernal Affairs is that much better.

Went to the first page, and I have also got these on my watch list.
12-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Movies
Fitz Wrote:Last couple of days, I've watched:

Ip Man

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1220719/

This was a pretty good movie. I don't watch heaps of martial arts movies. But this one is apparently based on Bruce Lee's mentor. I enjoyed this one, and I thought the fighting scenes were good as well. I don't like it when they are too over the top. Good movie.

The Imposter

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1966604/

Quote:A documentary centered on a young Frenchman who convinces a grieving Texas family that he is their 16-year-old son who went missing for 3 years.

This was a documentary, and a good one as well. You hear from everyone involved, with the Frenchman with the most camera time. You get to hear a lot on how everything unfolded straight from the horses mouth, with some real footage as well.
Though you keep wondering how a family could be convinced like that. Seems rather strange to me.

The Shining

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081505/

I've seen bits and pieces of this, but never the whole movie. But I finally got around to watching this, lol. Most people have probably seen it, so not much to add. But I thought it was pretty good. I swear Jack Nicholson is a creep without even having to try.
Now that you have seen The Shining. You have to now watch the only version that King actually endorses....as he HATES Kubrick's version.

Personally, I just think it's sour grapes on King's part....I think he hates the fact that a Director took his story and made it 1000X more scary than his own work. Now he claims that it's due to the fact that Kubrick took too many liberties with the material and actually made Nickelson too over the top as that is actually a take on King himself when he was dealing with his own alcohol issues. But I don't buy it.

In the late 90's he was all gung ho and behind a made for tv version that is supposed to be spot on to the vision he laid out in the book.

I myself think it sucks donkey nuts and can not wipe Kubrick's ass when compared to the version he made, but it's interesting none the less.
12-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Movies
Kubrick was the coolest because his movies all had a very specific feel and depth. A real artist. Kind of like everyone thought Tarantino was going to be after Reservoir Dogs, True Romance and Pulp Fiction - only to see that brief period of excellence shat on by Jackie Brown and everything that came after it.

One of my three picks above is "Barry Lyndon", which I believe is Kubrick's masterpiece. As impossible and shocking as it might seem, he made Ryan O'Neil (who was an amateur boxer and has a decent boxing scene in the movie) cool.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Bad Movies you like boxingcritic 83 38,795 02-13-2020 12:03 AM
Last Post: JONdaCON

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)