Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Have we seen the best of them?
03-29-2012, 08:31 PM
I want to hear people's opinions on particular fighters who they feel have already seen their best..or fighters whose best it yet to come. I'm not talking future accomplishments here, but more so what that fighter brings when they step inside the ring!

The best is in the past..

Sergio Martinez - He is a fighter who is getting old and although is mighty impressive is not too far away from an upset loss. I do think we have already seen the best SM has to offer and can't see anything more out of him at this point of his career.

Nonito Donaire - It's been years since we saw his masterpiece against Darchinyan and the Montiel fight is slipping away with time. Coupled with his in activeness, struggles to land those big fights & recently moving up in weight I can't say I see Nonito getting any better.

Yuriokis Gamboa - Although he is still making his way through the boxing ranks and is one of the biggest potentials in boxing he did have a very late start in his pro career. With his lack of height and size..already considered bypassing 2 divisions I don't know if Gamboa will look how he has in the past.

Juan Manuel Lopez - I still had faith in JML leading into the Salido fight but failed in looking impressive, failed to adjust and failed to avenge his only loss. A really disappointing result from a guy that was meant to be a future star and p4p'er.

Tomas Adamek - The Polish has had a very solid career being a two-time world champion and being involved in tough exciting fights. Since moving upto Heavyweight Adamek he had a nice lil run but was fighting much bigger guys and losing to Vitali I do think he is at a dead end in the division and is too late to return to his former form.

The best is yet to come..

Andre Ward - His performances in the S6 tournament was impressive and became his breakthrough moment(s) as he really came out of his shell. The guy come across like a real humble, grounded, confident & very switched on...and that's not just inside the ring, but out of it as well. AW seems to have really grown as a fighters and seems alot more comfortable with what he is doing inside the ring. I think Ward is just getting started.

Brandon Rios - It's only a matter of time for Rios to move up in weight. He is already a decent sized Lightweight who is still young and still has time to grow.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2012, 09:23 AM
I think we've seen the best of Carl Froch. He's done brilliantly and over achieved in all honesty.

Martinez, yeah seen the best of him.

Seen the best of the two cunts who don't need naming.

Agree with Donaire, yep, seen the best of him.

Gamboa, um, not sure..think there is still more to come from him.

Ward, maybe there is room for him to show some more but there ain't really many fighters out there that are gonna push him enough to see what he's got.

Vitali, we've definitely seen the best of him.

Nathan Cleverly...seen the best of him and it ain't all that.

Brandon Rios thinks he's better than he is and needs to prove his worth before I buy into any of his shit.
03-30-2012, 09:54 AM
I don't know that we've seen the best of Donaire yet. Sure he's had a few flat performances lately... but he's an exciting guy, still young enough and essentially still undefeated. I'm not sure any single performance of his will outdo the Darchinyan fight, but he could string together a few great wins that accomplish more.

Kind of reminds me of Hopkins... once he had the disputed losses against Taylor most said his best work (Trindad/Middleweight days) was past him... then he destroys Tarver, Pavlik and beats Pascal which IMO is just as impressive.
03-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Agree with Maxy about Froch. Done amazingly well with his heart, courage and will to fight anywhere.

Vitali, yes, Wlad? Not sure who can push him to produce anyone sensational to be honest.

Roy Jones? Not seen his best yet lol
03-30-2012, 10:33 AM
I actually disagree with you about Rios. Don't get me wrong, I like Rios and think he's a solid fighter. However, his style won't allow him to last long. On top of that, he seems to have trouble making weight and that just doesn't bode well for the fighter. The way he looked against Antillon is the best we'll see him look imo. That's not to say he won't win some big fights, but he won't dominate. This will make for some great fights to remember as well. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get outboxed in a fight soon. We'll see though, I like Rios, so I hope I'm wrong.
03-30-2012, 08:53 PM
I agree with a lot of the ones like Lopez, Martinez, Vitali.

Seen the best of them:
  • Juan Marquez (obvious one?)
  • Pascal
  • Donaire - I think this one is an interesting one. Not because he is in decline, but Arum is pretty much sitting him on the pine, and isn't getting many opportunities to display it at again good regular opposition.
  • Darchinyan (I think will always still be dangerous if he doesn't move up too high)
  • Kirkland (not that he ever reached a very high level)
  • Paul Williams
  • Maidana (same as Kirkland)

03-31-2012, 06:17 AM
Nonito Donaire is Yuriokis Gamboa I'm slightly on the fence with. It's not so much to do with his past performances (I think he has been highly critized by many just like Martinez has been) but Donaire isn't getting in the ring often enough and the competition (which is not entirely his fault) will eventually catch up..specially moving up in weight.
However Donaire has always came across like a guy whose biggest critic is himself. He has a level of expectation of himself and always wants to put on an even bigger performance than his last! So who knows, maybe he will continue to improve and show another dimension in his game?

Gamboa, like Donaire is being fucked by an cold, old, shameless bastard and are not being used properly and it makes it an even bigger crime due to the fact they're both one of the biggest talents & most exciting fighters going around in boxing at the moment. Gamboa's contract situation(s), age & size may be the things that slows things a tad?
This however does not mean I think these guys are in any way shot, done or on the decline or they will never have a great win or ever look good, just that they may have already reached their physical limits.

Seen the best of them..

Kessler: Now that he has announced his move upto LHW I'm sure this will be a stamp for his best days ahead of him.

Williams: Has never shown any signs of ever improving and has lost and been hurt enough times.

Pavlik: Outside issues and added now to the fact that I just found out he is fighting as a LHW tomorrow???

Kirkland

Berto

Ortiz

Haven't seen the best of them..

W.Klitschko: I say this because I haven't seen any signs of slowing down with Wlad other than continuous improvement. He has gotten so good and comfortable with his style and is getting away with it too. If Wlad could start opening up more and end fights in better fashion and have the ability to age well for a fighter like his older bro Vitali, then the best of Wlad may still be ahead.

Bute: Depending on the outcome and how his fight unfolds with Froch should determine if the best is yet to come for Lucian.

Dawson: Like Bute, Dawsons next fight in his rematch should determine if Dawson still has his best days ahead of him or not.

Lara

Alvarez
03-31-2012, 07:54 AM
Pavlik fighting at 170, but weighed in under.
03-31-2012, 10:20 AM
I wanna throw Devon Alexander into the mix of fighters who best days a yet to come. He is still a pretty young fighter that has the tools and ability but never reached expectations. Since his first defeat he has been in controversial fights but showed some good qualities aswell, like showing heart, courage and a great chin.

But it's because of the Maidana win I say this because he was able to do what many others fail to do and beat Maidana with no controversy or question marks! Alexander looked good in there against Maidana whose proven a tough customer and showed more awareness than ever. Alexander's made some adjustments that erased most his flaws like showing more focus, urgency & disipline. If he can continue working off that performance and gathers some wins and confidence he could possibly reach some of the people's original potential!
04-07-2012, 07:03 AM
ViperSniper Wrote:I wanna throw Devon Alexander into the mix of fighters who best days a yet to come. He is still a pretty young fighter that has the tools and ability but never reached expectations. Since his first defeat he has been in controversial fights but showed some good qualities aswell, like showing heart, courage and a great chin.

But it's because of the Maidana win I say this because he was able to do what many others fail to do and beat Maidana with no controversy or question marks! Alexander looked good in there against Maidana whose proven a tough customer and showed more awareness than ever. Alexander's made some adjustments that erased most his flaws like showing more focus, urgency & disipline. If he can continue working off that performance and gathers some wins and confidence he could possibly reach some of the people's original potential!
What about all them clinches? Wink

Seen the best -

BHop, Abraham, The Siamese Klit, Pac, Con, VOrtiz, Gamboa, Vic . . .

Yet to come - Mares, Broner, Ramming Speed, SMartinez, Dawson, FMJ, The Mexican Princesses . . . and JMM (I hope).

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)