Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Which fighters got the rough end if the stick?
04-18-2012, 02:48 PM
salvador Wrote:
Romulus9 Wrote:Say what you will but, per the rules, the fights were handled correctly.

Holyfield was on the receiving end of an intentional foul. Tyson was deducted two points. Lane asked the doctor if Holyfield could continue wand was told that he could. Holyfield said he wanted to continue. The fight continued. Yes, I know how insane and egregious that foul was BUT Lane handled it correctly. Just like Jon Schorle did in the Kirkland-Molina fight. It's not corruption or incompetence, it's doing strictly by the book to make the call stand up upon review.

What did you want Tony Weeks to do? He HAS to put the mouthpiece back in. Diego himself said that the first time was not intentional but the second one was. Tony took a point the second time. Do you want him to be DQ'd for spitting the mouthpiece out once, without a hard warning the first time? Do you want him to just shove the mouthpiece back in, which he isn't supposed to do?

So what was supposed to happen? Should the officials ignore the rules that are in place and do it their way? That's a slippery slope and we all know it.

There's protocol for a reason. Mills Lane, Jon Schorle, and Tony Weeks followed it.
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Mills Lane is the only ref in the sport who would have let that fight continue - with the possible exceptions of Marlon Wright or Laurence Cole. No fighter, other than Tyson, would have been allowed to continue. Because it's not like it was an intentional head butt, Tyson bit Holyfield's ear OFF - that's something Tyson should have been arrested for. In defense of Lane, his first reaction was to DQ Tyson. Christ, I don't think there's a ref in the UFC who would allow that fight to continue.

Regarding Corrales, spitting the mouthpiece out the first time bought him about 9 seconds with no point deduction and the second time bought him 22 seconds. Without those two recovery periods Corrales would have been ko'd. I believe that is a judgement call on the ref's part because both times the mouthpiece came out Corrales intentionally used it to his advantage. If the first really was an accident, he obviously didn't bother trying to get it back in his mouth by 10 seconds because he knew that he'd get more time if he didn't. He should have gotten a warning there because it was so clearly being used to his advantage. But even if he hadn't gotten a warning after the first time, he should have been dq'd for the second time because it was very clearly a stauling tactic at a very crucial time of the fight - as he barely made the count. Corrales barely made the count both times and the only thing Weeks did was give Corrales enough time to recover.

The truth is, Weeks should have let Castillo knock Corrales out without the mouthpiece the second time if he was going to allow the fight to continue.

And if not, then every fighter who's about to be ko'd should spit his mouthpiece out.
That's all well and good but the referees followed protocol.

Golota bit Samson Po'uha. There was a biting incident in the Michael Bentt-Herbie Hide fight.

No DQs. Fighters could continue and they did. It's just like any other foul. If it's ruled that you can continue and you choose not to, you lose on a TKO. Golota landed low blow after low blow on Riddick Bowe but had Bowe chosen not to continue after five minutes, he'd have lost on a TKO.

If it's such a problem, get the rule changed. But with the rules as they are, the officials did the right thing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-18-2012, 07:33 PM
Sal,

I don't agree with a lot of what you're saying. First, Corrales didn't "barely" beat the count either time he got KD. He was listening coherently to Weeks' count, giving himself as much time as possible prior to getting up, CHOOSING to stand up on "9." You saying that Corrales "would have been KO" had he not had extra seconds to recover is speculative. Your take on that can be argued just as easily as someone could argue that Corrales may have landed a fight-changing blow (as he ultimately did anyway) in the next exchange. Actually, looking back at Corrales' earlier career (Mayweather fight, Casamayor fights) an even stronger argument could be made that Corrales in fact WASN'T going to be KO. The dude always went down from left hands he didn't see coming... and he ALWAYS got back up. He was always coherent, able to talk to the ref (as he was after the second Castillo KD) and able to walk around on steady legs. His ability to recover was top notch even though his ability to be hurt was quite high. Based on that I think it's a fair assessment to say that without the extra time the action again resumes, and maybe Castillo drops Corrales for a third time with a left hook. Maybe Weeks stops the fight at that point... or, maybe he gives Corrales another chance. During all of this Castillo was blowing his wad, trying to finish Corrales off and at any time Corrales had the ability to land a fight changing shot on a guy that was punching himself out. I respect your opinion in thinking that Corrales would have been KO if he didn't have a few extra seconds to recoop, but based on Corrales' experiences in prior fights being dropped with the same punch a ton of times I don't think you can say that's a foregone conclusion.

Anyway, you're saying that regardless of there being no warning after the first time the mouth piece came out that Corrales should have been DQ the second time, no warning or point deduction needed. That I disagree with. It certainly isn't an ear biting type foul or anything remotely on the level of warranting a DQ in my opinion.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)