Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Cameras
10-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Cameras
I'm looking to buy a DSLR cos my old digital camera just ain't cutting it for me no more. I'm not all that flush with the money so my limit will be ?1000....ain't got the foggiest idea how much that is in dollars.

Anyway, the two I've been looking at are the Canon D60 and the Nikon D7000. Both are pretty good for what I'm after but do any of you know which is better..Nikon or Canon?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-2011, 12:16 PM
Cameras
I was in the market a few months ago for the same thing...what are you looking to do with it?

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Cameras
Spyder Wrote:I was in the market a few months ago for the same thing...what are you looking to do with it?
I'm looking to take sports and wildlife photography...the Mrs is more into all that close up stuff of like insects and flowers.

I know I'll need different lenses for different types of photos. That's when it gets expensive.

BTW, both those two cameras have bloody good video capabilities too which is a bonus.
10-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Cameras
Maxy Wrote:I'm looking to take sports and wildlife photography...the Mrs is more into all that close up stuff of like insects and flowers.

I know I'll need different lenses for different types of photos. That's when it gets expensive.

BTW, both those two cameras have bloody good video capabilities too which is a bonus.
I'm familiar with them...is video important to you, or is just a novelty?

10-27-2011, 12:26 PM
Cameras
Spyder Wrote:
Maxy Wrote:I'm looking to take sports and wildlife photography...the Mrs is more into all that close up stuff of like insects and flowers. 

I know I'll need different lenses for different types of photos.  That's when it gets expensive.

I'm familiar with them...is video important to you, or is just a novelty?
It's not massively important in this instance. I have read some say the canon makes better video, others disagree and say the Nikon is better.

If the quality is as good as I've read some say I would like to go for the one which is slightly better seeing as they both are around the same price. Although it won't be the ultimate reason for buying it, it'll add a new dimension to things and I know I could have some fun with that.....although then I need to buy a mic right?
10-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Cameras
Maxy Wrote:I'm looking to buy a DSLR cos my old digital camera just ain't cutting it for me no more.? I'm not all that flush with the money so my limit will be ?1000....ain't got the foggiest idea how much that is in dollars.

Anyway, the two I've been looking at are the Canon D60 and the Nikon D7000.? Both are pretty good for what I'm after but do any of you know which is better..Nikon or Canon?
I got the new (new last year) Canon EOS 60D.

Its great. Its not too simple for a DSLR. But it's also not too advanced. It's my first DSLR. I spent my money on a couple of Canon E series lenses. One bad-ass Telephoto zoom and one bad ass standard.

The best advice I can pass along that was passed along to me from guys with a lot more experience than I: whatever your budget, spend more on your lenses than you do on the camera.

I like the camera a lot. Oh, BTW, I was told the same thing about Canon having the better video by peole that actually own Nikon. I can tell you that the video I have take with the Canon has been top notch.

Here is my lens lineup...

Standard Zoom...

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/pro...55_f_2_8_is_usm

Telezoom...

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/pro..._2_8l_is_ii_usm
10-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Cameras
Method Wrote:
Maxy Wrote:I'm looking to buy a DSLR cos my old digital camera just ain't cutting it for me no more.  I'm not all that flush with the money so my limit will be ?1000....ain't got the foggiest idea how much that is in dollars.

Anyway, the two I've been looking at are the Canon D60 and the Nikon D7000.  Both are pretty good for what I'm after but do any of you know which is better..Nikon or Canon?
I got the new (new last year) Canon EOS 60D.

Its great. Its not too simple for a DSLR. But it's also not too advanced. It's my first DSLR. I spent my money on a couple of Canon E series lenses. One badass Telephoto zoom and one bad ass standard.

The best advice I can pass along that was passed along to me from guys with a lot more experience than I: whatever your budget, spend more on your lenses than you do on the camera.

I like the camera a lot.

Here is my lens lineup...

Standard Zoom...
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/pro...55_f_2_8_is_usm

Telezoom...

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/pro..._2_8l_is_ii_usm
Bloody hell....liking those lenses but seriously mate, they will have to come at a later date. Out of my price range at the minute...I have heard that the cheaper lenses can still produce quality photos and that is really the route I'm gonna have to take in the early days.

Will be my first DSLR too so it's something I want to put a lot into and build up my experience and lens collection gradually.
10-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Cameras
They both have built in mics. If you were looking to use it for professional applications, which I know you aren't, then you'd want to record your audio on a different digital device.

Canon is superior to Nikon in the video department. Canon was the first to discover this application for DSLR's, and they supported it with the proper processors. Nikon is still trying to figure it out.

All of the photo junkies give Nikon the edge in the still photography department. I don't know if that's just an "old habits die hard" type of thing, or if they really notice the difference. I can't.

I went with the Nikon myself, for the simple fact that it was on sale at the time. Knowing what I know about the video difference, I probably would've spent the extra cash for the Canon. But I still love the Nikon, and I'm taken the best pictures that I've ever taken with it.

The good news is that you can't go wrong with either.

10-27-2011, 12:52 PM
Cameras
Dude, get that Canon 60D. The guys that I talk to, and one of the reasons I bought it, is because they do a lot of off shore sport fishing, and take pics for magazines and shit, and have a tv show. They told me Canon has the best lenses, and to just go with it. Being that they had all the experiences in both print and tv media. I took the advice.

To be honest, I dont think you can go wrong with Either of those manufacturers.
10-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Cameras
Spyder Wrote:They both have built in mics. If you were looking to use it for professional applications, which I know you aren't, then you'd want to record your audio on a different digital device.

Canon is superior to Nikon in the video department. Canon was the first to discover this application for DSLR's, and they supported it with the proper processors. Nikon is still trying to figure it out.

All of the photo junkies give Nikon the edge in the still photography department. I don't know if that's just an "old habits die hard" type of thing, or if they really notice the difference. I can't.

I went with the Nikon myself, for the simple fact that it was on sale at the time. Knowing what I know about the video difference, I probably would've spent the extra cash for the Canon. But I still love the Nikon, and I'm taken the best pictures that I've ever taken with it.

The good news is that you can't go wrong with either.
OK thanks, that's good to read.

About the video and the mic capabilities...I don't expect a built in mic to be very good but I did kinda think the mic you can add to the camera would be of a very good quality and that sound would be pure. Naive? Most likely am, like I said, it's all pretty new to me and just something I've been saving for for quite a while now.

Always been into still images but needed to up the ante to get the picture quality I'm ultimately striving for. The lenses meth put up are the type of thing I'm aiming to get eventually but that is some way down the line right now.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)