Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Who have been the best combination punchers in the last 20 y
05-22-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm a fan of Roy, but he wasn't that great at combos. His preference was to pot shot, and land hard counters. Could he throw multi-punch combinations? Hell yeah, cause he was fast as fuck...but that wasn't his preference.

My gut reaction to reading the thread title was DLH. Say what you want about his FIGHTING, but from a pure BOXING standpoint, he was the model for how to do it.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-2012, 12:29 PM
The art of combination punching is something of a lost talent. What was one of the staples of a fighters basic ability in the 50's and 60's is now an elite only thing.

The vast majority like to pot shot and move only.

I thought Mosley's combination punching was fantastic as a lightweight and welter until he ran into Forrest. After that he turned into a one punch guy like the majority of the others, but I can remember some of his brutal combinations up and downstairs.

Roy Jones was a great combo puncher...when he had the guy hurt. He would let rip with impressive combinations as the guy reels around, like vs Richard Hall, Merqui Sosa or Clinton Woods, but otherwise he'd pot shot and use single punches.

De La Hoya is one of the best of this generation for combos. He would 'shoeshine' a lot, i.e., flurry super quick punches that miss but finish with one nice power shot (usually the left hook), and Calzaghe was the same.

But I think I will go with Tszyu or Marquez...someone with intelligent, accurate and effective combination punching rather than flashy, fast stuff.

Black
Find all posts by this user
05-22-2012, 03:53 PM
I love the idea of Tyson on this list because I never would have thought of him. But he really was one of the best because his body shots were so heavy that they acted almost like a great jab in that they set everything up. A Tyson left hook to the body to distract/cripple followed in the same motion by an uppercut and overhand right is about the deadliest combo I can recall seeing and it was almost a staple for him - particularly early in his career.

Wlad could also be considered for this list as his jab/quick left hook/overhand right was pretty smooth for a hw and deadly.
05-22-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm going to go with Marquez. I like how he's able to start by countering but instead of giving you one counter shot back he'd give you 3-4. He seemed to always do it best when HE was hurt himself.

My favorite Jones combination was vs. Bryant Brannon when he threw three left hands and Brannon never seen them coming.
http://www.youtube.com/v/_X91ik2WgGA
2:07 mark.

I love the combinations were you have to watch the replay to see which punch was the most effective or the one that actually hurt the fighter.
05-22-2012, 06:21 PM
blackbelt2003 Wrote:The art of combination punching is something of a lost talent. What was one of the staples of a fighters basic ability in the 50's and 60's is now an elite only thing.

The vast majority like to pot shot and move only.

I thought Mosley's combination punching was fantastic as a lightweight and welter until he ran into Forrest. After that he turned into a one punch guy like the majority of the others, but I can remember some of his brutal combinations up and downstairs.

Roy Jones was a great combo puncher...when he had the guy hurt. He would let rip with impressive combinations as the guy reels around, like vs Richard Hall, Merqui Sosa or Clinton Woods, but otherwise he'd pot shot and use single punches.

De La Hoya is one of the best of this generation for combos. He would 'shoeshine' a lot, i.e., flurry super quick punches that miss but finish with one nice power shot (usually the left hook), and Calzaghe was the same.

But I think I will go with Tszyu or Marquez...someone with intelligent, accurate and effective combination punching rather than flashy, fast stuff.

Black
managers used to make fighters get with a trainer and learn how to box back then, being in the ring all year didn't hurt them either. i know some people think boxing technique has evolved a lot over the years but i think fighters from the 50s could hang with anybody, they had a lot better fundamentals than what you see today.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)