Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Vargas-Mayweather: Who wins?
06-08-2012, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2015 02:42 AM by ViperSniper.)
Vargas-Mayweather: Who wins?
This fight popped in my head! Mayweather at 154 against a prime 154 Fernando Vargas. Shot De La Hoya & worn down Cotto could give Floyd Mayweather a tough fight could a prime natural 154 fighter in Vargas beat him??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Who wins?
You know what? At first I though, "WTF is Viper on? Easy Mayweather win."

But actually, Vargas is strong as hell. In fact, prime Vargas, around the time he beat Winky Wright and Ike Quartey, was like a bigger, stronger Miguel Cotto, both in style and ability.

And seeing how a slightly faded Cotto was able to push Money a little bit, I think Vargas would really test him.

Money might win more rounds, but I think Vargas would have spells where he punishes Floyd and bangs him about a bit. It would actually be a closer fight than many first think!

Black
06-08-2012, 01:17 PM
Who wins?
Mayweather at 154 (de la Hoya, Cotto) vs. the Vargas that fought de la Hoya?

I'd be VERY tempted to pick Vargas.

That was one of the best fights of the last 10 years and it took what might have been the best performance of de la Hoya's career to win it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Who wins?
Rom, would it tempt you more if we were talking a prime Vargas at 154 (whenever you beleive that is) against Mayweather at 154??

I don't consider the Vargas that fought De La Hoya in his prime, but must say that even that version may have a good chance! He is naturally much bigger, strong, powerful & aggressive & had an idea how to box.

Straight off the bat the matchup does seem like an easy Mayweather win..but when you take things into consideration it would be a pretty interesting fight!
06-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Who wins?
This is tough. You think Floyd clear decision, though a prime Vargas was probably better, bigger and more explosive than the 154 version of Oscar and Cotto that Floyd fought.
I think Mayweather wins a close decision, or tempted with a late Vargas stoppage. But interesting fight at 154 as this isn't Mayweather's best weight, but interesting.
06-08-2012, 07:56 PM
Who wins?
I would take the version that beat Quartey over the version of Floyd that beat Cotto...the one that beat Oscar would be a more interesting fight.

I think we forget just how good a young Vargas was.
06-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Who wins?
JD Wrote:I would take the version that beat Quartey over the version of Floyd that beat Cotto...the one that beat Oscar would be a more interesting fight.

Not me. I post it every single time there is a discussion of Vargas. Many people shit on him because of his personality, but a prime Vargas was a hellish fighter in every sense of the word. If his team hadn't of gotten him wrecked against Tito "Illegal Wraps" Trinidad, 154 would've been a much different division than it was.

Prime Vargas outworked names like Wright and Quartey. A wrecked Vargas still managed to take great fighters still at or close to their primes to the brink.

The match-up and results of the Trinidad fight were criminal. Vargas was too young for the fight and too brave, experience hadn't tempered his skills yet. Against a dude like Trinidad wearing casts on his hands, he never had a chance.

Just a fucking shame.

All that said, Vargas would've been the underdog against Gayweather, but his constant pressuring, powerful lefthook, great bodywork, and overall resilience would've made him a very live dog. And with Vargas's propensity to make fights personal, he would've shit all over Mayweather leading up to the fight, adding a certain flair to the fight that is often missing from the sport today.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
06-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Who wins?
Picturing the Mayweather who fought Cotto vs. the Vargas who walked into the ring to face Tito...

I'd take Mayweather, but it would be very competitive.

And yes Warlord, the build-up would have been sensational. Vargas ALWAYS made it personal.
06-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Who wins?
Warlord Wrote:
JD Wrote:I would take the version that beat Quartey over the version of Floyd that beat Cotto...the one that beat Oscar would be a more interesting fight.

Not me. I post it every single time there is a discussion of Vargas. Many people shit on him because of his personality, but a prime Vargas was a hellish fighter in every sense of the word. If his team hadn't of gotten him wrecked against Tito "Illegal Wraps" Trinidad, 154 would've been a much different division than it was.

Prime Vargas outworked names like Wright and Quartey. A wrecked Vargas still managed to take great fighters still at or close to their primes to the brink.

The match-up and results of the Trinidad fight were criminal. Vargas was too young for the fight and too brave, experience hadn't tempered his skills yet. Against a dude like Trinidad wearing casts on his hands, he never had a chance.

Just a fucking shame.

All that said, Vargas would've been the underdog against Gayweather, but his constant pressuring, powerful lefthook, great bodywork, and overall resilience would've made him a very live dog. And with Vargas's propensity to make fights personal, he would've shit all over Mayweather leading up to the fight, adding a certain flair to the fight that is often missing from the sport today.
Vargas was a stud. He should never have been in there with Tito at that point. But don't try equating the fact that Trinidad was made to have his hands re-wrapped with what that piece of shit from Tijuana got busted for.

Never fucking happened.
06-09-2012, 02:32 AM
Who wins?
Warlord Wrote:

Just a fucking shame.

Agreed. It is easy to remember that old bloated Vargas but the dude right up to the Triniwrap fight was a beast. I still like Floyd but that is actually a tougher than you might automatically imagine when you first read the thread.

Essentially a bigger better version of the Cotto who just gave Roid Gayweather a very good competitive fight.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)