Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Hershman to HBO...what does it mean?
10-14-2011, 12:48 PM
So now Ken Hershman has the chance to use HBO's budget and add the Showtime mindset to it.

What will it mean?

More boxing?

Better boxing?

A willingness to pass on fights just because fighters and promoters price themselves out?

I don't see how this can be a bad thing. Hershman did a lot with a little, so if he asserts HBO as the premium boxing network, but does so without handing out dates as favors or getting in bed with fighters specifically, it could help the sport immensely. Sure, there may be some growing pains -but it can't be a bad thing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2011, 01:05 PM
I really can't put faith in it...you know how I preach Corruption and Politics at times.....no high hopes for better Boxing...simply hope to be pleasantly surprised....
10-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Doesn't mean a whole lot to me to be honest.

People act like Hershman has been so innovative for boxing based on what? A tournament?

It ain't too difficult to make quality match-ups as most hardcore fans can spot them.

True innovation comes in the form of... technological innovation. Spreading the boxing platform. Leveraging the web. Hershman hasn't done anything in regards to this so he's just another suit that's slightly smarter than the mongloids at HBO.
10-14-2011, 01:07 PM
It's hard to say...power has a way of changing people.

I hope he keeps the same strategy of making the best fights possible, but when more people are looking to grease your palm...it might be too difficult to resist.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-14-2011, 01:07 PM
The CEO Wrote:I really can't put faith in it...you know how I preach Corruption and Politics at times.....no high hopes for better Boxing...simply hope to be pleasantly surprised....
I have no idea. I do know that Ross Greenburg was a loss for HBO. NOT boxing, per se, but that fucker put together the sickest documentaries.

OH, and, not for nothing, that tournament was a disaster. It has taken what, like 3 years at this point, and STILL no tourney winner? The Fight Camps were great though, but once a month?I dunno.

Great idea. OBVIOUSLY needs tweeking.
10-14-2011, 01:13 PM
I never really got into Fight Camp 360...it was on too sporadically...there were definitely issues between Boxing and Programming over there.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Method Wrote:
The CEO Wrote:I really can't put faith in it...you know how I preach Corruption and Politics at times.....no high hopes for better Boxing...simply hope to be pleasantly surprised....
I have no idea. I do know that Ross Greenburg was a loss for HBO. NOT boxing, per se, but that fucker put together the sickest documentaries.

OH, and, not for nothing, that tournament was a disaster. It has taken what, like 3 years at this point, and STILL no tourney winner? The Fight Camps were great though, but once a month?I dunno.

How da hell is a tournament a "Great Idea"?

It's like serving coffee while it's hot.
10-14-2011, 01:14 PM
TRU Wrote:Doesn't mean a whole lot to me to be honest.

People act like Hershman has been so innovative for boxing based on what? A tournament?

It ain't too difficult to make quality match-ups as most hardcore fans can spot them.

True innovation comes in the form of... technological innovation. Spreading the boxing platform. Leveraging the web. Hershman hasn't done anything in regards to this so he's just another suit that's slightly smarter than the mongloids at HBO.
I think Hershman's value actually comes from viewing fights as matchups, not commercials for guys they are looking to push.

By and large, Showtime has provided more interesting / competitive matchups than HBO on a per fight basis for a little while now.

I can't see Hershman as a bad thing for HBO at this moment in time - I mean, I would like to think we won't get two Dawson - Tarver's anymore...
10-14-2011, 01:19 PM
TRU Wrote:
Method Wrote:

How da hell is a tournament a "Great Idea"?

It's like serving coffee while it's hot.
Sorry. I didn't mean that as the overall theme. Just in theory sort of.

I mean its a great idea if you can hash it all out within a year or so, like that Sugar Ray Robinson Middleweight Tourney was.

I was one of the critics of the 6 man super middie tourney, because it was a round robin, double elimination point system thing.

Fuck all that. Too many players. Too many possibilities.

Its BOXING, not ping pong.

keep it limited to 4 (or 6) guys, SINGLE ELIMINATION, and get it over with.

3+ years for a shitty ass division where contestants were dropping out from injury, etc.??? One elimination. 4 guys.

Whatever.
10-14-2011, 01:20 PM
JD Wrote:
TRU Wrote:Doesn't mean a whole lot to me to be honest.

I think Hershman's value actually comes from viewing fights as matchups, not commercials for guys they are looking to push.

By and large, Showtime has provided more interesting / competitive matchups than HBO on a per fight basis for a little while now.

I can't see Hershman as a bad thing for HBO at this moment in time - I mean, I would like to think we won't get two Dawson - Tarver's anymore...
He's not a bad thing for HBO boxing but quality match-ups should be the minimum not the end point.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)