Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Hershman to HBO...what does it mean?
10-15-2011, 06:06 PM
smartybeardo Wrote:Don't get me goin on the FIFA boxing tourney. 4 man, single elim, period.
Didn't King pull something similar with the MW division a few years back. However it was 4 guys and then the last 2 fighting for the undisputed title. That seemed to work pretty well.

I liked the concept but it didn't work out so well in the end for this 6 man tourney. However taking it as a glass half full if you look at Snoop's perspective which is to take the 'tournament' aspect out of it then it was a success to get top guys consistently fighting each other.

“Shakespeare? I ain’t never hoid of him. He’s not in no ratings. I suppose he’s one of them foreign heavyweights. They’re all lousy. Sure as hell I’ll moider dat bum.”—Tony Galento
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-15-2011, 06:09 PM
the ollie reed fan club Wrote:
smartybeardo Wrote:Don't get me goin on the FIFA boxing tourney. 4 man, single elim, period.
Didn't King pull something similar with the MW division a few years back. However it was 4 guys and then the last 2 fighting for the undisputed title. That seemed to work pretty well.

I liked the concept but it didn't work out so well in the end for this 6 man tourney. However taking it as a glass half full if you look at Snoop's perspective which is to take the 'tournament' aspect out of it then it was a success to get top guys consistently fighting each other.
Yeah, I can see that but round robin makes no sense IMO in boxing. Too many moving parts.
10-15-2011, 07:12 PM
I've always had the same opinion as blackbelt. I remember me and Beardo had a big back and forth a while ago on this, lol.
The format of the super 6 isn't the best, and I think people are critical of it because of how long the tournament takes. But over this period of time, we got some very good fights happen consecutively. The type of fights fans want to see within a division. We are better off with the tournament than without.
Format isn't good, but it's been good for boxing and for the fans with the fights it's given us, and good fights is all that counts at the end of the day.
10-17-2011, 12:04 AM
In regards to the topic, I think anyone but Ross Greenburg to head the boxing department is a good move. Dude spent ridiculous amounts of money to license shitty fights and as a whole, HBO has been more about showcasing the house fighters in mismatches than actual fights. All of the other programming on HBO is top-notch, especially the series, but HBO boxing needs a major makeover.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2011, 12:45 PM
the ollie reed fan club Wrote:

King's MW tourney worked perfectly. But Showtime tried the same 4 man, single elimination tournament with the bantamweights and even that's run into trouble with delays and blatant corruption.

I agree with folks here - it's just good to have the top guys facing each other. The concept of a tournament doesn't really work in boxing, but if that's the tag they need to slap on it to get the best to fight the best, I can't complain.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)