Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

R.I.P Chris Lighty
09-02-2012, 04:55 PM
R.I.P Chris Lighty
Don't know if anyone heard or read about this or even knew who Chris Lighty was, but he was a hip hop artist manager who apparently took his own life last week at 44 years old. If you've ever seen 'Beats Rhymes and Life' the Tribe Called Quest doc, he was featured pretty prominently in that. I met Chris 20 years ago when he was at Rush. He was just one of the young guys there at the time trying to hustle his way up, but you could see he had a real future (acted like it too). His big act then was Brand Nubian - right after Grand Puba left. Everyone was all psyched about Puba's solo career and no one thought much of Sadat or Jammar's future, but Chris guaranteed BN would do better without Puba than Puba would do without them, and he was right.

Anyway, reason I mention him here is that his major contribution to hip hop over the years was in tying his artists to corporate advertising. He got LL his Gap commercial and Tribe their Sprite spot, among others, and also negotiated 50 Cent's deal with Vitaminwater, getting 50 his own flavor and a stake in Glaceau, the company that owned them. This netted 50 something close to 100 million when the company was sold to Coca Cola, and of course, that's the kind of loot that's made 50 and TMT a potential threat to Top Rank and GBP as boxing promoters. So, if TMT actually manages to make some noise in the sport over these next few years, Chris Lighty will have been one of the major reasons for it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2012, 09:33 AM
R.I.P Chris Lighty
I'm sure I heard that name, and you KNOW I used to bump a Sadat X CD....very cool...

........I'm too high for your threads today, Slim....too interesting and thought provoking to endure in my condition...

Too much PPV today....PHEEeeww.
09-04-2012, 10:03 AM
R.I.P Chris Lighty
His family is requesting an investigation. They don't buy that he took his own life.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2012, 06:33 AM
R.I.P Chris Lighty
SKULLSPLITTER Wrote:I'm sure I heard that name, and you KNOW I used to bump a Sadat X CD....very cool...

........I'm too high for your threads today, Slim....too interesting and thought provoking to endure in my condition...

Too much PPV today....PHEEeeww.
Best part of this quote is that it was made at 8:33 am.

thumbs up

'Although I hit a pound of herbs I'm still nice with the verbs, so fuck what ya heard' is one of my favorite lines of all time.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)