Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Most skilled current fighters
09-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Talking skills, talent & ability alone here! I think most current p4p fighters have these..but how about aging fighters who still have it? Or up n comers? In no particular order..

Ward
Mayweather
Donaire
Gamboa
Martinez
Lara
John
Rigondeux
Russell Jr
Broner
Hopkins
Dawson
Wlad
Marquez
Bute
Lopez
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2012, 05:35 AM
Who is Lopez?

Good list, but I would take out John (his now fighting nobodies, who knows how good he would be at this stage if he fought a top feather). I would also take out Lara (just don't think his on the level of the top guys). Take out Dawson (hindsight, but never thought he was a top level talent like these other guys on the list). Bute and Wlad aren't the most skillful either. They have great natural gifts, but I don't see them as guys in there with top level skill. Broner, not sold on him yet, pressure fighters who can take his punch will be his undoing, given he is entertaining though. And Russell Jr looks to be the package to me, but still too early to tell. The rest, no doubt though, are elite level skilled fighters.
09-23-2012, 06:53 AM
lol

Juanma Lopez!

I've always been impressed with his skills but his got big flaws that set his game back alot.

Despite his age & status, Judah's skills are still up there. Just can't get it right upstairs. Never could.
09-23-2012, 07:59 AM
haha, surprised to hear you say that Viper. I never got on the Lopez train, I never saw much in him and still don't. But each to their own hey.

Yep, agreed on Judah, his still one of my favourites to watch. When his on, his great to watch! It seems his main trouble is concentration and generalship. Athletically though, his as gifted as they come!
09-24-2012, 09:46 PM
and the NEW Wrote:Who is Lopez?

Good list, but I would take out John (his now fighting nobodies, who knows how good he would be at this stage if he fought a top feather). I would also take out Lara (just don't think his on the level of the top guys). Take out Dawson (hindsight, but never thought he was a top level talent like these other guys on the list). Bute and Wlad aren't the most skillful either. They have great natural gifts, but I don't see them as guys in there with top level skill. Broner, not sold on him yet, pressure fighters who can take his punch will be his undoing, given he is entertaining though. And Russell Jr looks to be the package to me, but still too early to tell. The rest, no doubt though, are elite level skilled fighters.

I've seen John fight few times against elite, solid & average fighters & have always been impressed with his skills. Against Marquez that was a very competitive fight. Close to every punch landed from both were counters.

Lara has been quite impressive. I think he is very skilled, smart & tricky fighter.

Dawson I have always been impressed with. Frustrated too, as he doesn't show the urgency he always has to n waits. Overall I think he is a very skilled fighter.

As for Wlad? He may not seemed skilled if comparing to someone like a Mayweather, Gamboa or anyone else on the list. But the guy has improved & has become a very effective, smart fighter. Doesn't have a great amount of flaws & always uses what he has extremely well!
09-25-2012, 03:51 AM
No doubt the guys you mentioned are very skilled, I just don't think they are on the same level as the others mentioned.

Molina is a cagey fighter, but a top drawer guy should be taking him to the cleaners, Lara struggled. I also think Williams was damaged goods when Lara got to him.

Agree on John, he was very good. I'm just not sure about now, his getting older and he hasn't fought a live dog in quite some time! Not even a feather worth mentioning!

Dawson is just terrible at fighting on the inside. Skilled yes, but not elite.

Wlad, fair call. I may just be too hard on him because I hate the heavyweights. Not many of them ever look overly skilled.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Top 5 current Brittish fighters and the NEW 5 4,027 11-26-2011 03:03 PM
Last Post: lloyd mayflower

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)