Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

TV shows/series
11-20-2021, 06:42 PM
RE: TV shows/series
(11-20-2021 06:21 PM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  I liked Squid Game. My only criticism, slightly morbid though it may be, is that I think with he first game, that was all futuristic, robot, cameras, mass gunfire etc.... I would have liked to have seen some more imaginitive ways to wipe out the contestants. Obviously within the context of adapted kids games, but just clipping them with a revolver didnt really capture the imagination much.

I actually would’ve liked the show to be pared down a bit, without so much focus on some of the more out there shit. The side story about harvesting organs of players, cop infiltration, front man, head man, all that shit I would have left out. Just the basic story, with more focus on their characters and relationships, would’ve been awesome.

In the end, even though it cheated a little at the end in terms of the concept, I think Battle Royale is still the best motion picture to date that handled this kind of story. It focused almost entirely on how the characters acted and reacted to each other in the game, and spent not one second more than necessary on world building.

In literature, Stephen King’s the Long Walk is the unrivaled master of this genre. No other artist in any medium ever dared run this concept to its brutal ending. King did, and did so unapologetically. He put a group of kids in a contest where they had to walk until only one was left, and any contestant who stopped walking was shot dead immediately. King played it straight, and then some. There were no outs. There was no rebelling against the system. No last minute reprieve. No cheats of any kind. Just a deadly game played to the finish.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2021, 06:56 PM
On (I believe) a similar genre, has anyone watched Alice in Borderland? I keep meaning to get that on but I have the Wire and Narcos season 3 to tidy up first.

Gomorrah is coming back soon too. Hugely recommend that if anyone hasnt seen it.
11-20-2021, 09:05 PM
Yes Alice and Borderlands is pretty damn good.

"Weapons are forged by being pushed beyond their limits eventually breaking what they currently are to be molded into the killing machines they will soon become" -TeddyBear- remember that shit[/i][/b][/font]
10-26-2022, 12:47 AM
Just checking in here after the mention of Cobra Kai which has beena recent highlight....

I have also recently watched and enjoyed the Dahmer thing, The Rings of Power, and House of Dragons.

As far as the latter two go, they have been fun. Can't take them too seriously as I understand Rings of Power has had to deviate from Tolkien Canon quite a bit, not that it matters to me really, it was pretty nicely shot if a little wooden, and HoD.... Well they made a cunt of GoT in the end but this has managed to retain my attention and I'm at least interested to see where they take it. I was ready for it to be shit.

I did watch Alice in Borderland and very much enjoyed it.
12-30-2022, 03:32 AM
New series of Alice in Borderland just out. Picked up right where they left off.
12-30-2022, 04:30 AM
Recently finished Season 6 of Rick and Morty. Not as horrible as the season previous, but still not what they used to be.

Heard True Detective is a pretty awesome show. Anyone here seen it?

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-30-2022, 06:26 PM
(12-30-2022 03:32 AM)lloyd mayflower Wrote:  New series of Alice in Borderland just out. Picked up right where they left off.

Great show. Great open ending. Lot of great performances. Silver-haired guy was my favorite.

Warriors Don't Show Their Heart Until The Axe Reveals It.
12-31-2022, 06:15 AM
The silver haired guy is just fantastically cynical/devious.

He has fully embraced the "game."

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)