Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Politics Unfiltered
01-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Politics Unfiltered
Spyder Wrote:
BGv4.0 Wrote:
TheFonz Wrote:It is up to US to keep the both the government and these corporations is check. We are not victims.
That sounds really good....but the problem with that idea is simple basic greed....

Generally speaking most people are too greedy to do the right thing.....why stand up for the environment and your own town and neighbors when there is a big, fat juicy cash money check waiting for you to simply sit down and STFU?

MOST....not all...but the overwhelming majority will sit down and take the money.

So....the idea of somehow keeping Corporations in check is lost by the fact that they can and will and do buy off the majority.

You can see example after example after example.....Ever see "The Rainmaker"....perfect example.

I mean....no disrespect to him, but Lloyd Mayflower is an example of this....not liking the process, knowing it's a danger to the environment...YET...very open to the idea of being an operator for them.

WHY???....because the guy has to provide for his family and the simple fact of the matter is....they would pay him extreamly well to do the job.

So there is the rub.....you might want to do the right thing all day long...but if money is attached to it...most likely you will take the cash.

The whole region I live in functions on this principle.....we are known as the Cancer Belt of the United States....just about everybody knows somebody dying of cancer at any given time...YET....the jobs are plentyful, we NEVER suffered the recession like most of the US, the home market never faultered to the degree it did everywhere else....so the majority make the trade off without even thinking about it.

I myself have thought about going to get plant jobs....they would pay me 3x what I currently make and just about ALL of my friends are involved in them, and it's mostly a game of who you know to get in....so even I am not above falling for the bait...even though I realize the whole time I'm being fucked.
You used a shitty Matt Damon movie from the 90's to prove your point?

lol

I'm still curious as to how fracking has affected you...
Well, a simpleton might see it that way.

Others might see it as using a John Grisham novel to illustrate an example...

Others may have read the real world examples due to where I live.

I think it comes down to the individual reading it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Politics Unfiltered
If you want to be a politician, you shouldnt be allowed to be a politician.

By the way BG, no offence taken, the irony of my working for a massive oil company is not lost on me. However, i am qualified for nothing else, and occasionally i look in the papers to see what id have to do to earn what i earn elsewhere. I dont like my chances in life outside of oil and gas!!!
01-14-2013, 04:02 PM
Politics Unfiltered
lloyd mayflower Wrote:If you want to be a politician, you shouldnt be allowed to be a politician.

By the way BG, no offence taken, the irony of my working for a massive oil company is not lost on me. However, i am qualified for nothing else, and occasionally i look in the papers to see what id have to do to earn what i earn elsewhere. I dont like my chances in life outside of oil and gas!!!
Oh I totally get it. it' a total conundrum.

Right now I could go work for Chevron Chemical, Baker Hughes, or STP (South TX Nuclear Project)....ALL within my living area....and I gotta tell you, when I see my monthly paycheck and compare it to my buddies that work at those sites...it's a huge let down....but I still believe in the Program I work for now....so I stick with it despite the allure of higher paying jobs...BUT...I'm also single at the moment and that allows me more flexibility than my buddies.

But one of my friends clears about Six Grand a month....and the other 2 that have taken jobs in North Dakota are clearing damn near 9 grand per month....it's for sure a hard option to weigh at times for sure when I'm about to take on a second mortgage.

I don't know where you are at....but if oil and gas is your field...you should be down here! The taxes and home prices are so low compared to in the North. Generally....just pure cost of living is so much lower, that coupled with the high paying oil and gas jobs....it's one Cancer Filled Paradise!

That being said we do have some of the most cutting edge Cancer Centers in the US. as well.... ok
01-14-2013, 04:10 PM
Politics Unfiltered
BGv4.0 Wrote:
lloyd mayflower Wrote:If you want to be a politician, you shouldnt be allowed to be a politician.

Oh I totally get it. it' a total conundrum.

Right now I could go work for Chevron Chemical, Baker Hughes, or STP (South TX Nuclear Project)....ALL within my living area....and I gotta tell you, when I see my monthly paycheck and compare it to my buddies that work at those sites...it's a huge let down....but I still believe in the Program I work for now....so I stick with it despite the allure of higher paying jobs...BUT...I'm also single at the moment and that allows me more flexibility than my buddies.

But one of my friends clears about Six Grand a month....and the other 2 that have taken jobs in North Dakota are clearing damn near 9 grand per month....it's for sure a hard option to weigh at times for sure when I'm about to take on a second mortgage.

I don't know where you are at....but if oil and gas is your field...you shoudl be down here!
Im north sea(ish) at the moment. Started off in chemicals, on an ethylene cracker so have just made the move upstream. If i was single expatriation would be an option but to be honest my complexion isnt suited to Texas, plus there is still opportunities to make funny money in europe. Time will tell, im on a big project that will look good on my cv so il wait it out for now.

Those Chevron bastards knocked me back!!!
01-14-2013, 10:05 PM
Politics Unfiltered
BGv4.0 Wrote:
Spyder Wrote:
BGv4.0 Wrote:
TheFonz Wrote:It is up to US to keep the both the government and these corporations is check. We are not victims.
That sounds really good....but the problem with that idea is simple basic greed....

Generally speaking most people are too greedy to do the right thing.....why stand up for the environment and your own town and neighbors when there is a big, fat juicy cash money check waiting for you to simply sit down and STFU?

MOST....not all...but the overwhelming majority will sit down and take the money.

So....the idea of somehow keeping Corporations in check is lost by the fact that they can and will and do buy off the majority.

You can see example after example after example.....Ever see "The Rainmaker"....perfect example.

I mean....no disrespect to him, but Lloyd Mayflower is an example of this....not liking the process, knowing it's a danger to the environment...YET...very open to the idea of being an operator for them.

WHY???....because the guy has to provide for his family and the simple fact of the matter is....they would pay him extreamly well to do the job.

So there is the rub.....you might want to do the right thing all day long...but if money is attached to it...most likely you will take the cash.

The whole region I live in functions on this principle.....we are known as the Cancer Belt of the United States....just about everybody knows somebody dying of cancer at any given time...YET....the jobs are plentyful, we NEVER suffered the recession like most of the US, the home market never faultered to the degree it did everywhere else....so the majority make the trade off without even thinking about it.

I myself have thought about going to get plant jobs....they would pay me 3x what I currently make and just about ALL of my friends are involved in them, and it's mostly a game of who you know to get in....so even I am not above falling for the bait...even though I realize the whole time I'm being fucked.
You used a shitty Matt Damon movie from the 90's to prove your point?

lol

I'm still curious as to how fracking has affected you...
Well, a simpleton might see it that way.

Others might see it as using a John Grisham novel to illustrate an example...

Others may have read the real world examples due to where I live.

I think it comes down to the individual reading it.
That is true. People will believe whatever it is that they want to believe. Some will want to know the truth, and believe that. While others will want to feel good about themselves, so they'll believe whatever does that for them.

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Politics Unfiltered
lol Classic stuff! The 2nd amendment is only a break glass tool in case the 1st amendment no longer works I guess! http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlic...s-n1489704
01-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Politics Unfiltered
BrotherCane Wrote:lol Classic stuff! The 2nd amendment is only a break glass tool in case the 1st amendment no longer works I guess! http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlic...s-n1489704
this is my hometown paper. Ill never buy it again. Even the Sheriffs office has pleaded w them to take it down as officers names and addresses are now listed
01-16-2013, 12:14 AM
Politics Unfiltered
Just an observation....as here in TX that would NEVER fly. But would it not be common sense to assume that if all legal, registered gun owners were listed....the assumption should be all other houses are in fact gun free?

see...to me that is a juvenile argument. I totally get defending your rights against this law....as I do not agree with it. But offer real arguments...not petty back and forth, grade school stuff....which is what that sign argument is....its not a real thought provoking argument.
01-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Politics Unfiltered
BGv4.0 Wrote:Just an observation....as here in TX that would NEVER fly. But would it not be common sense to assume that if all legal, registered gun owners were listed....the assumption should be all other houses are in fact gun free?

see...to me that is a juvenile argument. I totally get defending your rights against this law....as I do not agree with it. But offer real arguments...not petty back and forth, grade school stuff....which is what that sign argument is....its not a real thought provoking argument.
lol

That is complete bullshit and you know it!

The juvenile behavior came from the dipshit Newspaper editor posting people's addresses as a way to shame them or something. Seriously, what was the fucking point of that? What was so thought provoking there?

These people actually called those jokers on their shit, and asked for them to "voluntarily" wear the same scarlet letter that they forced upon law abiding gun owners.

It's cool as shit for the goose, isn't it? Well how about the gander try that shit on too...

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-16-2013, 02:19 AM
Politics Unfiltered
Spyder Wrote:
BGv4.0 Wrote:Just an observation....as here in TX that would NEVER fly. But would it not be common sense to assume that if all legal, registered gun owners were listed....the assumption should be all other houses are in fact gun free?

lol

That is complete bullshit and you know it!

The juvenile behavior came from the dipshit Newspaper editor posting people's addresses as a way to shame them or something. Seriously, what was the fucking point of that? What was so thought provoking there?

These people actually called those jokers on their shit, and asked for them to "voluntarily" wear the same scarlet letter that they forced upon law abiding gun owners.

It's cool as shit for the goose, isn't it? Well how about the gander try that shit on too...
Your response is a perfect example of what I'm talking about...." what's good for the goose is good for the gander"...that's what I'm talking about in relation to playground politics and mentality.....

I'm not in any way defending labeling people as gun owners.....but there are more intelligent ways to argue REAL points...not simply "good for the goose is good for the gander" bs.....that's the reason our politics always come to a stalemate...

instead of arguing real points about violation of privacy, endangering families...etc. You get a stupid argument about putting up a sign...that as I said before when taking the list into consideration was a given. Really a non point.

but a lot of people thrive on that school yard bs...it's What sales papers and gets people viewing tv.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)