Hello There, Guest!  LoginRegister

Is U.S. Boxing on Friday/Saturdays played out?
10-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Spyder Wrote:It was tough as HELL to be a boxing fan in college...lol...we tended to talk the person throwing the party into ordering the fight.
Yup. That's how it was. Didnt hurt that he was the Rich kid w a sick 60" TV and money to burn.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-14-2011, 03:00 PM
Method Wrote:
Spyder Wrote:It was tough as HELL to be a boxing fan in college...lol...we tended to talk the person throwing the party into ordering the fight.
Yup. That's how it was. Didnt hurt that he was the Rich kid w a sick 60" TV and money to burn.
The girls in our group talked these random dudes into ordering a David Tua fight...I believe against Obed Sullivan.

Anyway, the fight lasted less than a minute, and the dudes started bitching about ordering Showtime for that short of a fight...I think our subsequent altercation with them gave them their monies worth. lol

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-14-2011, 06:26 PM
On the West Coast the fight schedule works out pretty well. Fights start at 6PM, out by 9, still time to go out AND you're hyped off adrenaline. Plus I think the live event itself has a lot to do with it being on Sat.

Wish they would bring back WNF though. It would be a nice dose for the Saturday to Friday lull.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
10-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Snoop Wrote:On the West Coast the fight schedule works out pretty well. Fights start at 6PM, out by 9, still time to go out AND you're hyped off adrenaline. Plus I think the live event itself has a lot to do with it being on Sat.

Wish they would bring back WNF though. It would be a nice dose for the Saturday to Friday lull.
The West Cast is the BEST coast for fight schedules. I might have to move out there just to accommodate the boxing party schedule. On the West Coast, the fights are over, and it's time to party, get a steak dinner, or whatever. Here, you struggle to keep your eyes open, and then, when the fights are over, there's nobody to celebrate with, cuz everyones asleep, or you're to inebriated to be o the boards cuz its so late.

I remember I watched the Hopkins/Tarver fight out in LA at Gary Randall's (the ex-owner of Max Boxing) crib and when it was over, it was like 7:30-8, and we crushed a big celebration steak dinner afterwards. Great place to be for hard core fans.
10-14-2011, 11:16 PM
I've always been a little jealous of the West Coast for that very reason.

Snoop, I thought you were up in Illinois or Michigan...somewhere up in that region?

"And you got your own steez about you that I appreciate bro. I see it." - Snoop
10-15-2011, 03:25 PM
Spyder Wrote:I've always been a little jealous of the West Coast for that very reason.

Snoop, I thought you were up in Illinois or Michigan...somewhere up in that region?
Nah been here in Seattle for about 15yrs. Originally from Alaska.

All heart. That's what most little guys are.
But that counts for a lot. In the gym or
the ring all you gotta do is get up
one more time than the other guy thinks you can.

- Gabrielle Calvocoressi

http://www.wanderingpugilist.com
10-15-2011, 07:33 PM
I think Thursday's would be a good night for boxing. A lot of people like to get their weekends started early, but it's not like Saturday night, where guys can almost feel pressured into going out and trying to salvage something of the weekend.

When did Saturday's become the end all be all of big fight nights? I remember Holyfield-Douglas was on a Thursday. Tyson-Ruddock was on a Monday. Going farther back I know Hagler-Leonard was during the week as well. Those were all closed circuit though. Has Saturday always been the only night HBO or Showtime were willing to air big fights?
10-15-2011, 08:30 PM
Big Slim Wrote:I think Thursday's would be a good night for boxing. A lot of people like to get their weekends started early, but it's not like Saturday night, where guys can almost feel pressured into going out and trying to salvage something of the weekend.

When did Saturday's become the end all be all of big fight nights? I remember Holyfield-Douglas was on a Thursday. Tyson-Ruddock was on a Monday. Going farther back I know Hagler-Leonard was during the week as well. Those were all closed circuit though. Has Saturday always been the only night HBO or Showtime were willing to air big fights?
It was cool when USA and ESPN regularly showed fights. Usually they were not "big" fights, but it was nice to get my boxing fix. Now I guess I am older and not as much of a diehard, I rarely watch ESPN2 fights.

Me, I would rather boxing just stick to the Saturday schedule. I like it cause most are off work and it's easier to have friends come over for fights.

It's crazy about Tyson-Ruddock and Douglas-Holyfield on weekdays, I forgot about that. I do remember about Hagler-Leonard, only cause my Mom would come up to my room(bedtime for school) a few times and tell me updates from the fight. Then after it was over she informed me "The NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWW
MIDDLEWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD.... SUGAR RAY LEONARD!!!
10-17-2011, 06:09 PM
i live in Florida and always have to cut the night short or record the fight and watch it when i get home. the Hopkins/Dawson shit killed my night though.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)